• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

Very true -- though so many do that the generality can be deemed to remain.

It's a real shame just how many Baptists have dropped or exceedingly watered down repentance. Then we wonder why our children leave our Baptist churches when they leave home. We wonder why so many "converts" never come to church and of those who do, they often don't stay long.

Our "soul winners" go forth not making sure the lost know they are sinners, not making sure they know the consequences of their lost condition, not telling them they must repent and be born again in Christ. Instead they tend to give a watery talk about heaven and how easy it is to be sure one goes there. Then it's all about asking and pushing the lost to "say this simple prayer" and telling them if they just do this one little thing, they will go to heaven.

Some Baptist churches post their soul winning results, and it's amazing to see how many churches say their soul winners have won so many to Christ, yet there is no growth in the church.

I was very disappointed when the Sword removed references to repentance in several hymns in their hymnal.

• Members

It's a real shame just how many Baptists have dropped or exceedingly watered down repentance. Then we wonder why our children leave our Baptist churches when they leave home. We wonder why so many "converts" never come to church and of those who do, they often don't stay long.

Our "soul winners" go forth not making sure the lost know they are sinners, not making sure they know the consequences of their lost condition, not telling them they must repent and be born again in Christ. Instead they tend to give a watery talk about heaven and how easy it is to be sure one goes there. Then it's all about asking and pushing the lost to "say this simple prayer" and telling them if they just do this one little thing, they will go to heaven.

Some Baptist churches post their soul winning results, and it's amazing to see how many churches say their soul winners have won so many to Christ, yet there is no growth in the church.

I was very disappointed when the Sword removed references to repentance in several hymns in their hymnal.

And its a BIG shame the majority outside of the Baptist teaches works base salvation which cannot & never save a single soul. At least many of us that has the name Baptist on our churches teaches the one & only proper way to be saved, by grace though faith, not of self, not of works, its a gift.

• Members

And its a BIG shame the majority outside of the Baptist teaches works base salvation which cannot & never save a single soul. At least many of us that has the name Baptist on our churches teaches the one & only proper way to be saved, by grace though faith, not of self, not of works, its a gift.

Yes, praise God for those churches that still do preach the Gospel! Unfortunately, many of our churches have watered that down or don't even do much to spread the Gospel at all. Too many have adopted what LuAnne posted about, that "soul winning" format of trying to convince someone to say a little prayer so they can go to heaven. Just as Cloud pointed out, such isn't rightly presenting the Gospel and leads to false conversions and false hope.

Someone once asked our pastor why he talks about sin, repentance, hell and salvation through Christ alone instead of simply telling folks if they want to go to heaven they can just say a short "sinners prayer". Our pastor answered, "Because that's the Gospel message, the core of Scripture, and not something to be skimped on or watered down."

• Members

For a sermon on Jer. 23:6 The LORD our Righteousness I have chosen these hymns:

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear

I once was a stranger to grace and to God (Jehovah Tsidkenu)

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness

I hear thy welcome voice, that calls me Lord to thee

I will publish the sermon when I have finished it.

• Members

For a sermon on Jer. 23:6 The LORD our Righteousness I have chosen these hymns:

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear

I once was a stranger to grace and to God (Jehovah Tsidkenu)

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness

I hear thy welcome voice, that calls me Lord to thee

I will publish the sermon when I have finished it.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Your loosing the youth with or without "hymnal only". The only question is what are you loosing them to? My suspicion is that many conservative churches are essentially like the Church at Sardis and loose the youth in part for that reason, however, what they loose them to tends to be either the world outright or Laodicean like churches.  If A Sardis like church is loosing its youth to the world and Laodicean like churches the answer is not become more like the world and Laodicean like Churches, the answer is get right with God, get real, and be something worth having and being rather than being just a empty talking shell. Converting from the church of sardis to the the church of laodicea does no one any good, it just trades one set of problems for another. That is why so often there is a progression in youth that start out in a conservative church, move to a more liberal church, then end up quitting on God and churches all together. They see dead liberalism isn't really any better than dead conservatism and just get to where they don't see anything worth having at all. 

We had a guest speaker last night; he's a nearby pastor who actually spent his formative years in and was sent out of our church.  Which means he knows us well, and has known us for many years. :)  He gave us quite a zinger of a sermon, reminding us that although we often hear warnings against Laodicean churches, the danger for our churches is more becoming like Sardis, and challenged us as a church and individually on that point - do you have a name that you live but are dead? He reminded us of the many people and friends he's seen (and I know a few of them too) that had that name of being 'alive' but were dying inside... and finally gave up on it all and went to the world. Ouch. "Let him that thinketh he standeth beware..."

• Members

Church is for gloryfying Jesus, for preaching, and for community.  It is not for enterntainment.  The only music that may be allowed in church is that which gloryfies the Lord.  And it is to be sung by men only, since the Bible commands womenfolk to be silent when in the church house.

• Moderators

Church is for gloryfying Jesus, for preaching, and for community.  It is not for enterntainment.  The only music that may be allowed in church is that which gloryfies the Lord.  And it is to be sung by men only, since the Bible commands womenfolk to be silent when in the church house.

Context of the passage in I Cor is prophesy and tongues. The other passage deals with seeking clarification of teaching (for lack of a better phrase at this moment)

• Members

Context of the passage in I Cor is prophesy and tongues. The other passage deals with seeking clarification of teaching (for lack of a better phrase at this moment)

Which Bible do you read, dear?  The Christian Bible that I got states very clearly why the woman is to be silent in the churches--because she is secondary to men, and she has been decieved by the devil in the Garden of Eden.  The Christian Bible says that it is a shame for a woman to speak in church.  I believe it, and it would not be allowed in any church I attend.

• Moderators

I was looking through an old copy of 'Sankey's Sacred Songs & Solos' a couple nights ago. There are some amazing hymns in there I've never heard of before! The songbook has no tunes included, only meter markings, so it made for an interesting evening looking through to find appropriate tunes to which to sing the unknown poems.

• Members

I was looking through an old copy of 'Sankey's Sacred Songs & Solos' a couple nights ago. There are some amazing hymns in there I've never heard of before! The songbook has no tunes included, only meter markings, so it made for an interesting evening looking through to find appropriate tunes to which to sing the unknown poems.

My wife Ann found that book a great encouragement - hymns of real personal experience of God when she was seeking, over 50 years ago. Such a difference from the formal religion of her Church of England school.

I have the music book. Interestingly, 250 - "My life flows on in endless song ..... since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth, how can I keep from singing?" was used for the chain "Waitrose" for their Christmas TV advert 2 years running. I knew the hymn as a folk song years before I found the proper version in Sankey. It's by Robert Lowry, who also wrote 152 "Low in the grave, he lay."

• Moderators

My favorite one thus from from SSS&S...

O Jesus Christ, grow thou in me,
And all things else recede!
My heart be daily nearer Thee,
From sin be daily freed.

Each day let Thy supporting might
My weakness still embrace;
My darkness vanish in Thy light,
Thy life my death efface.

In Thy bright beams which on me fall
Fade every evil thought;
That I am nothihng, Thou art all,
I would be daily taught.

More of Thy glory let me see,
Thou Holy, Wise, and True!
I would Thy living image be,
in joy and sorrow too.

Fill me with gladness from above,
Hold me by strength Divine:
Lord, let the glow of Thy great love
Through my whole being shine.

Make this poor self grow less and less,
Be Thou my life and aim;
Oh, make me daily through Thy grace
More meet to bear Thy name!

• Members

Salyan - you & all the ladies (& nearly all the men) on the forum - would be welcome to join the singing in our church. We're about one mile from Heathrow Airport if ever you pop over the pond. We need people who know & love the old hymns.

Happily, people are beginning to appreciate my choices.