• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

It's not so much the words these days, but more the volume of music that is distracting the services, too loud. Can you hear me now... : )

I've been in some churches like that. There is no need to have the speakers turned up so loud like they do at concerts. When it's too loud, not matter how good whatever it is that's coming out, it's a distraction, it can be difficult to comprehend, and it can hurt the ears.

• Moderators

Yes, quite - please don't yell. :)

In Christ Alone is questionable more for its associations and authorship.

Glory Land, I wouldn't say that volume makes music bad. (It may make it unlistenable, as you say. :wink)  It's also not the age of a piece that determines its quality (although some people probably consider older music 'safer'). The question is to the words - whether they are glorifying to God - and the music - whether it is glorifying to God. Music styles such as rock'n'roll, jazz, etc. were specifically designed to glorify the things of the world (fornication, drugs, idolatry). Some of those styles also originate from the rhythms of idol-worshipping cultures.  It's not just that these forms of music are designed by the world (the world can design some beautiful things that there is nothing wrong with - architecture, tuneful music, paintings); it's that they glorify things that are specifically opposed to the Lord. CCM takes musical styles that glorify this world's system and seek to use them to glorify God. That doesn't work.

A second consideration is the association and intent of the music. Some of the new contemporary musicians write tuneful, hymn-style music - but they write it with the express intent of 'bridging' the gap between traditional and contemporary music. They are writing it to lure our young people to their preferred styles - the worldly styles - of music. There is a spirit in such music that is very powerful and attractive, more so because since the style appears wholesome, it is more likely to be allowed by the elders.

Not a lot of Scripture there, but that's the sum of my observations and study.

• Members

I'm quite partial to Amy Grant. That's about it for CCM.

When I was saved back in 1973, I became aquianted with

"other than" traditional Gospel hymmnals when I first

started listening to Andrae Crouch and the Disciples,

namely,

"Everything's Changed" and "Through It All" .

A year later, I met a beautiful young lady, a believer, 23

years old, and her parents at a fund raiser for out-of-

wedlock moms and their babies. We shared our testimonies,

She invited me to her church, a country  church and met my

first group of "Jesus People", long hair, tie-dyed t-shorts, long

cotten dresses with flower print, some word sandels, other's

wore boots, moccasins, and their music wasn't exactly traditional

but it was relaxing.

I was the only "square" in the congregation wearing quarter-master

issue combat boots (spit polished), blue-jeans, black long-sleeve

shirt and my hair was short and cropped.

I didn't have a problem with their music. I liked listening to Larry

Norman ("Only Visting This Planet" LP from the 1970's), but as time

went on and I grew in Christ, I began listening to Reba Rambo, Sheila

Walsh, and other 80's style CCM.

I confess: I still enjoy Stryper's "Battle Hymm of The Republic". That's

as far as it goes.

I am turning away from much of today's CCM. It may worship the Lord

and give thanks and  praise to Him, but it's getting too dreamy sounding,

like guy's singing love songs to their wives. My sister of all people

said she notices this current trend too, and avoids it.

Give me smooth-jazz anytime!

Edited by Tech45ACP

• Members

Godly words, and an acceptable tune suitable for worship when played simply - but it is often treated as rock - a vehicle for the worship leader and band to show off. 

I introduced this hymn last week:

Creation sings the Father's song;
He calls the sun to wake the dawn
And run the course of day
Till evening comes in crimson rays.
His fingerprints in flakes of snow,
His breath upon this spinning globe,
He charts the eagle's flight;
Commands the newborn baby's cry.

Hallelujah!
Let all creation stand and sing,
"Hallelujah!"
Fill the earth with songs of worship;
Tell the wonders of creation's King.

Creation gazed upon His face;
The ageless One in time's embrace
Unveiled the Father's plan
Of reconciling God and man.
A second Adam walked the earth,
Whose blameless life would break the curse,
Whose death would set us free
To live with Him eternally.

Creation longs for His return,
When Christ shall reign upon the earth;
The bitter wars that rage
Are birth pains of a coming age.
When He renews the land and sky,
All heaven will sing and earth reply
With one resplendent theme:
The glory of our God and King!

Keith & Kristyn Getty and Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2008 Thankyou Music

CCL 1418463

That's true isn't it. For many singers, musicians, they love songs that will best show off their voice or music playing skills, that is the type of songs that will draw attention to them while gaining them applause.

Several years back our pastors wife's nephew was visiting them & he sang a special on Sunday morning, it was a hymn out of our song book but played to upbeat music. While singing it he tried to get us to clap our hands & stomp our feet with no avail. Latter I found out he attended a Pentecostal type church.

I've never been part of a church that applauds at the end of a special, they have only given hearty amen's.

• Moderators

That's true isn't it. For many singers, musicians, they love songs that will best show off their voice or music playing skills, that is the type of songs that will draw attention to them while gaining them applause.

Several years back our pastors wife's nephew was visiting them & he sang a special on Sunday morning, it was a hymn out of our song book but played to upbeat music. While singing it he tried to get us to clap our hands & stomp our feet with no avail. Latter I found out he attended a Pentecostal type church.

I've never been part of a church that applauds at the end of a special, they have only given hearty amen's.

If I want applause, I will sing funny secular novelty songs on my ukulele, like Tip-Toe through the Tulips or Cows with Guns or I Like Bananas (Because they Have No Bones). I sometimes play such at a local monthly community dinner. I discourage applause with the church.

• Members

It's not so much the words these days, but more the volume of music that is distracting the services, too loud. Can you hear me now... : )

Yes, the word are very important, that is extremely important, many of the words of CCM songs are not biblical. With a true hymn its a small Bible fact. In fact listening to true hymnals you can learn very much about the Bible, no so true with the worldly CCM music.

• Moderators

Is there a perfect hymnal? I don't know that I've encountered a hymnal that didn't contain some hymns that were not doctrinally sound or had some of the hymns changed (as the Sword did several years ago).

I know-we use the Sword hymnals, and some of them I have changed the words back to the originals. One p[articular one that comes to mind is  

The Old Account", where they changed 'repent of all your sins' to 'be cleansed'. Now, we are certainly cleanse of our sins when saved, but Batists seem to like to remove repentance from the whole thing, which is where the quick-prayerism-thing comes from: no repentance=no salvation.

• Members

Is there a perfect hymnal? I don't know that I've encountered a hymnal that didn't contain some hymns that were not doctrinally sound or had some of the hymns changed (as the Sword did several years ago).

Have you tried the Scottish Metrical Psalter?

In principle it must be perfect, but the poetry is forced to fit the metre so even with that revision is desirable.

The example everybody knows is:

The LORD's my Shepherd, I'll not want

He makes me down to lie

In pastures green he leadeth me

The quiet waters by.

A 20th C revision by Christopher Idle is:

The Lord my shepherd rules my life
and gives me all I need;
he leads me by refreshing streams,
in pastures green I feed.

Isaac Watts rendered it:

My shepherd will supply my need,

Jehovah is his name;

In pastures fresh he makes me feed,

Beside the living stream.

The writers who produced the original Psalm paraphrases did a useful job which served the church well, but their work can be improved on to improve the poetry & clarify its meaning; to sing explicitly of Christ.

I bought the Scottish Psalter as a young Christian, and the church I attended tried to use it, particularly in the midweek meetings.  We soon realised why they largely went out of use, and were revised into singable paraphrases.

• Members

I know-we use the Sword hymnals, and some of them I have changed the words back to the originals. One p[articular one that comes to mind is  

The Old Account", where they changed 'repent of all your sins' to 'be cleansed'. Now, we are certainly cleanse of our sins when saved, but Batists seem to like to remove repentance from the whole thing, which is where the quick-prayerism-thing comes from: no repentance=no salvation.

You stated that wrong, that's is wrong, you should have said some Baptist, for I tell you, I guarantee you, all Baptist do not remove repentance from being saved.

• Moderators

You stated that wrong, that's is wrong, you should have said some Baptist, for I tell you, I guarantee you, all Baptist do not remove repentance from being saved.

Very true -- though so many do that the generality can be deemed to remain.

• Moderators

Right you are-some Baptists. And of course, not just some Baptists, but many others, as well. Thanks for correcting me.

• Members

Right you are-some Baptists. And of course, not just some Baptists, but many others, as well. Thanks for correcting me.

That's OK, that's kind of one of my pet peeves. It became my pet peeve when my daughter was growing up. She would come home asking to go somewhere, if I said no, she would say, everyone's going to be there. I would say no not everyone is going to be there, for your not going to be there. And she would get so mad at me!