• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

My fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I am seeking scripture that speaks out against my topic. I do not believe that God would come to another induvidual and tell them something that he had intended for the person being told to find out. Here is what I am facing; my relationship of a month shy of two years was ruined by a woman who told my significant other that "God told her that she needed to end our relationship." I cannot blame my Girlfriend for listening to her do to the fact that I am out numbered in this fight. Her Mom, Sister, and Grandparents share the same penocostal holiness faith. She is not that way herself, however her mind could be swayed when the core of her family is in support of this. The woman who told her to do this is a Second cousin whom is more like an Aunt to her and they have always been close. She is the second wife to a man (her third marrige herself) who pastors a church in our area. His congregation is being led by him unknowing of his past life...I guess he doesn't read the book of Timothy...however thats a different discussion. I need verses and most of all prayers because the only way that her and I can make it back together is by God's touch. Thank you friends!

• Members

Words of Jesus:

Matthew 19:6 (KJV) 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God is not going to say one thing in His Word, and then say something entirely opposite to man today.

If this woman broke up a marriage that was instituted by God, god would not have told that woman to break up the marriage.

If you had not entered into a marriage contract yet, there really is no Scripture that ixs necessarily against the girlfriend breaking things off.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Words of Jesus:

Matthew 19:6 (KJV) 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God is not going to say one thing in His Word, and then say something entirely opposite to man today.

If this woman broke up a marriage that was instituted by God, god would not have told that woman to break up the marriage.

If you had not entered into a marriage contract yet, there really is no Scripture that ixs necessarily against the girlfriend breaking things off.

I appreciate that scripture Brother! Although things hadn't reached a "marital" status we were well on our way. I know that God had crossed our paths and have no doubt that she was brought into my life by his will.

• Members

Maybe to strengthen your walk with Him? Or her walk?

My council?

thank God for the time you had together. Pray, asking Him to put the woman in your path that He would have you to marry. If it is this woman, God will surely bring her back into your arms.

In the second chapter of Genesis, we see that God brought the woman He created to Adam. He did not say, "I've made you a woman, go find her."

Trust Him, and He will bring that one He made for you to you.

• Members

Unfortunately it sounds like your young lady will need to get on her knees and find God's will for herself. And lots of praying from you as well.

Someone saying these words is very powerful (For a few years I was in a church where they would tell you whether or not they thought a girlfriend or boyfriend was "good enough" to marry or not, without being able to possibly determine God's will for somebody else's life). The only way through it is lots of prayer, and for each of you to find out God's will yourselves. It will be difficult for her to go against her family, so it is very important that she is very, very sure this is right. It will be a hard decision for her to make and it will take lots of prayer.

All the best for you guys.

• Moderators

My fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I am seeking scripture that speaks out against my topic. I do not believe that God would come to another induvidual and tell them something that he had intended for the person being told to find out. Here is what I am facing; my relationship of a month shy of two years was ruined by a woman who told my significant other that "God told her that she needed to end our relationship." I cannot blame my Girlfriend for listening to her do to the fact that I am out numbered in this fight. Her Mom, Sister, and Grandparents share the same penocostal holiness faith. She is not that way herself, however her mind could be swayed when the core of her family is in support of this. The woman who told her to do this is a Second cousin whom is more like an Aunt to her and they have always been close. She is the second wife to a man (her third marrige herself) who pastors a church in our area. His congregation is being led by him unknowing of his past life...I guess he doesn't read the book of Timothy...however thats a different discussion. I need verses and most of all prayers because the only way that her and I can make it back together is by God's touch. Thank you friends!

As far as the issue of someone telling her that "God told me to tell you..." I agree that this would not be scriptural, I believe. Pentacostals, (and even more so their more-words-added-to-make-them-sound-even-holier) like Pentecostal Holiness Primitive Four-Fold Four-Square Four-Eyes For Rent Assembly of Ancient Baptist Charismatics, etc, often do this whole prophet/prophetess thing, where God tells them to tell other people-if you watch how they work, its really standard fortune-telling. In the Bible, God sent prophets to Kings, to High Priests, to people of great office, who made decisions that affected others; generally we don't see the prophets sent to Miriam the goats-herdress to let her know that one of her goat's has a bad udder. Yet that's exactly what we see with these pentecostal prophets: telling people things like, "God has great plans for you! You're going to do well in music for the Lord! Woo-Hoo for you!" And that's a real example, by the way, one given to my niece in her Pentecostal church. Funny thing with that 'prophecy': she was already an excellent musician, serving God with that music.  That's like a prophet coming to me and prophesying that I am going to be fat! (I'm already 340 pounds). 

If one is saved, the Lord is able to communicate the truth to them just fine. Now, that's not to say the Lord can't use someone else, or a pastor preaching a sermon that speak to you, but the Spirit will speak to YOU-the biggest problem, of course, is the listening, which we are wont not to do.

So, as said before, place this in God's hands and wait upon the Lord-stay faithful and active in your church.

BY the way, how old are you and your lady-friend?

• Members

Pray, and keep open to renewed friendship. If you are both true believers, and wary of such prophetic messages, then yuo will be drawn together. If she does not share that Pentecostal faith, where does she worship? And where do you worship, and how did you meet? Are there trusted mutual friends who could arrange for a meeting? Keep it low key, and you will either grow together or apart as the Lord leads.

Such a prophecy is self-fulfilling - prophesy "break up" and it happens.

I suggest this Scripture:

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Two personal notes:

1) My then girlfriend's father (not a Christian) took an instant dislike to me. Our wedding (over 50 years ago) was organised by my parents. The estrangement lasted until after our first baby was born.

2) My son was the victim of such a prophecy - he met a girl from a "Toronto blessing" church - she had been told in prophecy that she would 1) marry her next boyfriend, and 2) marry before she was 20.

With such a prophetic "blessing" they went ahead, with her parents' approval, & her pastor's though NOT our approval, nor our pastor's. They'd only met a few weeks before, but everything was SO "right."

The marriage didn't last a year due to her adultery.

So much for modern prophets and their prophecy.

• Members

You should never say God told me that you should not do that, what should be done if you see someone doing something wrong is to out point to them within the Holy Scriptures that its the wrong thing to do.

God never speaks directly to us, however He does speak to us though His Word, which has been true ever since the Bible was completed.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

God speaks to us in different ways.  Just to name a few...

Generally through the Word.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Through our conscience.

1 Timothy 1:5  Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.

Through the Holy Spirit.

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Through counsel and advice of other Godly people.

Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

Ephesians 2:18 tells us that we have access to God.  "For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father."

From what you wrote, your girlfriend is close with this person.  That person probably loves and wants to protect her.  But....ask your girlfriend to consider going to God directly, on her own, with much prayer and direction from scripture.  

Edited by LauraJones

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On Monday, July 08, 2013, JerryNumbers said:

You should never say God told me that you should not do that, what should be done if you see someone doing something wrong is to out point to them within the Holy Scriptures that its the wrong thing to do.

God never speaks directly to us, however He does speak to us though His Word, which has been true ever since the Bible was completed.

Not to change the subject but The Spirit of God is God and does and must speak directly to our spirit (which is us) in order for us to be saved and to be taught by God the Spirit. But I do agree concerning the typical pentecostal blasphemous hokum.

1 Corinthians 2:10-12  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

John 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 17:20  Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

• 1 month later...