• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Stink in Farts Controls Blood Pressure!

• Members

Finally some good news we can all talk about! :lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... odpressure

[b][size=200]The Stink in Farts Controls Blood Pressure[/size][/b]

livescience.com ? Thu Oct 23, 3:21 pm ETA smelly rotten-egg gas in farts controls blood pressure in mice, a new study finds.

The unpleasant aroma of the gas, called hydrogen sulfide (H2S), can be a little too familiar, as it is expelled by bacteria living in the human colon and eventually makes its way, well, out.

The new research found that cells lining mice's blood vessels naturally make the gas and this action can help keep the rodents' blood pressure low by relaxing the blood vessels to prevent hypertension (high blood pressure). This gas is "no doubt" produced in cells lining human blood vessels too, the researchers said.

"Now that we know hydrogen sulfide's role in regulating blood pressure, it may be possible to design drug therapies that enhance its formation as an alternative to the current methods of treatment for hypertension," said Johns Hopkins neuroscientist Solomon H. Snyder, M.D., a co-author of the study detailed in the Oct. 24th issue of the journal Science.

Snyder and his colleagues compared normal mice to mice that were missing a gene for an enzyme known as CSE, long suspected as being responsible for making hydrogen sulfide. As they measured hydrogen sulfide levels taken from tissues of the CSE-deficient mice, the scientists found that the gas was depleted in the cardiovascular systems of the altered mice. By contrast, normal mice had higher levels of the gas, thereby showing that hydrogen sulfide is naturally made by mammalian tissues using CSE.

Next, the mice were subjected to higher blood pressures comparable to serious hypertension in humans. Scientists had them respond to a chemical called methacholine that relaxes normal blood vessels. The blood vessels of the CSE-lacking mice hardly relaxed, indicating that hydrogen sulfide is a huge contender for regulating blood pressure.

Hydrogen sulfide is the most recently discovered member of a family of gasotransmitters, small molecules inside our bodies with important physiological functions.

This study is the first to reveal that the CSE enzyme that triggers hydrogen sulfide is activated itself in the same way as other enzymes when they trigger their respective gasotransmitter, such as a nitric oxide-forming enzyme that also regulates blood pressure, Dr. Snyder said.

Because gasotransmitters are common in mammals all over the evolutionary tree, these findings on the importance of hydrogen sulfide are thought to have broad applications to human diseases, such as diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases.

The research was supported by grants from the U.S. Public Health Service and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research as well as a Research Scientist Award.

Video: Cancer-Curing Blood
10 Things You Didn't Know About You
Body Quiz

Original Story: The Stink in Farts Controls Blood Pressure
LiveScience.com chronicles the daily advances and innovations made in science and technology. We take on the misconceptions that often pop up around scientific discoveries and deliver short, provocative explanations with a certain wit and style. Check out our science videos, Trivia & Quizzes and Top 10s. Join our community to debate hot-button issues like stem cells, climate change and evolution. You can also sign up for free newsletters, register for RSS feeds and get cool gadgets at the LiveScience Store.

• Members

[quote="John81"]So eat your eggs; they're from God's grocery! :coffee[/quote]

That means this age old saying has been proven true!

Bean, beans,good for your heart

The more you eat ,the more you fart! :lol:

The more you fart the better you feel

So eat more beans at every meal! :lol:

I know I probably just blew what ever chances I might have had to get my name in [color=#004000][b]Green[/b] [/color]on this board - but I could not resist! :face:

• Members

[quote="IM4given"]
I know I probably just blew what ever chances I might have had to get my name in [color=#004000][b]Green[/b] [/color]on this board - but I could not resist! :face:[/quote]

Are you still having trouble with that?

First, have you requested to join the IFB usergroup? If so, all you have to do is go to your user control panel and select the IFB usergroup and make it your primary/default usergroup. Right now "Registered users" is your default group. Just change it. :cool

• Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"][quote="IM4given"]
I know I probably just blew what ever chances I might have had to get my name in [color=#004000][b]Green[/b] [/color]on this board - but I could not resist! :face:[/quote]

First, have you requested to join the IFB usergroup? If so, all you have to do is go to your user control panel and select the IFB usergroup and make it your primary/default usergroup. Right now "Registered users" is your default group. Just change it. :cool[/quote]

Too much beans 'n cornbread has clouded her thinking. :Green

• Members

[quote="John81"][quote="Bakershalfdozen"][quote="IM4given"]

First, have you requested to join the IFB usergroup? If so, all you have to do is go to your user control panel and select the IFB usergroup and make it your primary/default usergroup. Right now "Registered users" is your default group. Just change it. :cool[/quote]

Too much beans 'n cornbread has clouded her thinking. :Green[/quote]

I just lowered my blood pressure :Green - and guess what?? I am Green! YAY! :Green :lol: :Green :lol:

• Members

<<""Now that we know hydrogen sulfide's role in regulating blood pressure, it may be possible to design drug therapies that enhance its formation as an alternative to the current methods of treatment for hypertension," said Johns Hopkins neuroscientist Solomon H. Snyder, M.D., a co-author of the study detailed in the Oct. 24th issue of the journal Science. >>"

Now please tell me, who is going to want to be around the person taking this drug? :eek :uuhm:

I suppose one would have to say, "Please excuse the _______, I just took my high blood pressure medicine :saint !

• Members
<<""Now that we know hydrogen sulfide's role in regulating blood pressure, it may be possible to design drug therapies that enhance its formation as an alternative to the current methods of treatment for hypertension," said Johns Hopkins neuroscientist Solomon H. Snyder, M.D., a co-author of the study detailed in the Oct. 24th issue of the journal Science. >>"

Now please tell me, who is going to want to be around the person taking this drug? :eek :uuhm:

I suppose one would have to say, "Please excuse the _______, I just took my high blood pressure medicine :saint !

Beans and brussel sprouts are waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than anything the pharmaceutical industry can come up with - and the chinese will not be able to find a way to capitalize on it!

• Members

Beans and brussel sprouts are waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than anything the pharmaceutical industry can come up with - and the chinese will not be able to find a way to capitalize on it!

I love corn bread and pinto beans. :ooops

But don't some people put soda I believe it is, in their pinto beans to cut down on the gas, I guess that ruins helping with the high blood pressure but saves the :ooops !

• Members

i think city folks are far more :ooops when it comes to natural bodily functions - i think it is because there are so many of them sharing the same space! out in the country you can eat all the beans and cornbread you want to and never have to worry. now i am curious if country people have lower blood pressure than city people? :Green

• Administrators

I don't know - my dad was raised in the country, loves cornbread and beans (as all of our family does), but believes that something like that shouldn't be done in company. It's, um, rude, really. We taught our son to excuse himself if the occasion came up for him to pass gas (my hubby doesn't like the other word, so we never use it).

BTW - if you shred carrots up into the beans, it will cut down on the gas. We do that with our beans and with our chili. It doesn't change the flavor, carrots are good for the liver, and the raunchy after-smell is really cut down. :Green