• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paul Chappell - Live Stream: The Next Best Thing To Being At Spiritual Leadership Conference Live

RSS Robot

• Members

Understood. 

But "liberty in Christ" ends where our "liberty" leads us to do unscriptural things.  What I am attempting to point out is that where this stuff leads is into an unscriptural position.  "Grace" is not a license to operate outside the boundaries of Scripture, but rather, God's enabling to fulfill His will within Scriptural boundaries.

My other point is that these "big shots" do not have the same approach or attitude that the Apostle Paul had, and I question if they could handle it if God put them through the trials Paul had.  For these guys, bigger is better, but they don't seem to see that is not how things worked out for Paul, and for other men that God used in the past. 

The use of these CAN lead to unscriptural actions and attitudes.  We are all under grace.  If it were not for grace there would be no forgiveness of our sins.  God is no respecter of persons, big shots are only big shots in mans eye.  With God we are all under equal footing.  Sinful and condemned.  The Lord accepts any man who humbles himself and believes in faith.  Look at God and His standards, don't look at men and their feeble attempts to live a sanctified life because man will always fall short.  By the way Paul said he was chief of sinners and God used him greatly.

Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. 

• Members

There are certainly people out there who teach bigger is better and who have the attitudes you are talking about.

Can you display clearly where Paul Chappell espouses this?

For clarity let me explain that I do not consider myself a Chappel fan but it bugs me when people criticise for no apparent reason.

To me it seems the major crime that Paul Chappell has committed is that he works hard and has actually had numerical growth.

I have read some of his books and have spoken personally to him and he appears to be against chasing numbers in spite of the fact that he has grown a small church to this current size. He says size is not his goal.

I personally Don't like the mega church thing either, but the church in Jerusalem would have qualified for that description.....

• Members

Maybe it is my general dislike for Paul Chappel and his shameless promotion of himself and his ministries, as if he has some corner on something...I don't know...

What I do know is that is impractical and impossible for me to attend anything like these "conferences."  I have asked the Lord many times to provide the means to attend revivals, campmeetings, and other conferences over the years.  SInce the answer has almost always been "NO" then my conclusion is that the Lord does not think that I need to attend.  Therefore, I must learn to depend upon God and God's word to help me tackle the problems I encounter in the ministry and in life. 

Guess what?

The Lord has never failed to provide the answers I need when I need them.   

All these conferences do is build up man, and make other men to be followers of men.  The preachers who attend these conferences should learn how to depend upon the Lord, and allow the LORD to provide the answers through His word, instead of looking to these "workshops" to give us all of the latest worldly philosophy wrapped up in Bible verses.  

We are discussing "Revival" on a different thread.  These "workshops" and conferences are not about "REvival" or our relationship with the Lord.  They don't preach AGAINST sin.  It is all positive psychology.  It is all about How to build the biggest and best (fill in the blank).  PS - Make $ure you come back next year for more!!!

I am sorry to be so negative about it, but this Mega-church mentality in the IFB movement is really nauseating to me.  God has always used nobodies in small places to accomplish His work.  And when God promotes somebody, and uses somebody to do something "big," The genuine servants of the Lord don't promote themselves and the work God does through them. 

Look at Shubal Stearns.  The Lord used him to win souls and build Baptist churches all over the South.  So much so that the entire Bible Belt came about from his work.  Yet, when he died, there was nothing left of his Church at Sandy Creek.  Everyone had moved away, and he was left with a handfull of people.  But he sent out preacher after preacher after preacher, and those preachers started churches everywhere.

Can these megachurch types (like Chappel. Hyles, etc. etal.) handle a ministry like Shubal Stearns, or the Apostle Paul?  Paul died in jail with no church, no printing ministry, no radio ministry, no school, college, Bible Institute, or seminary.  Most of his friends deserted him.  Could Chappel and his like handle something like that?

That is my problem.  I simply don't see the similarity in ministry or attitude from these guys to the Apostle Paul, or other great men that God has used. 

I am really sadden by this post...if I am not mistaken Paul Chappell does not charge for the live streaming...and to say he is promoting self is not listening to His Preaching and/or teaching...your beginning statement gave as to the heart from which you speak..."general dislike for"John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another....

Paul Chappell, a man of God that is promoting Jesus the Christ of God using what technology available to the glory of the Father...The good that God is doing through this ministry is rather to be chosen and welcomed than talked about by someone whose intro to what he has to say is quoted as..."Maybe it is my general dislike for Paul Chappell and his shameless promotion of himself and his ministries, as if he has some corner on something"

Promoting himself, really?

The disciples had a problem also with someone doing the will of God... Mark 9:38-39 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

I am just saddened... :(

• Members

There are certainly people out there who teach bigger is better and who have the attitudes you are talking about.

Can you display clearly where Paul Chappell espouses this?

For clarity let me explain that I do not consider myself a Chappel fan but it bugs me when people criticise for no apparent reason.

To me it seems the major crime that Paul Chappell has committed is that he works hard and has actually had numerical growth.

I have read some of his books and have spoken personally to him and he appears to be against chasing numbers in spite of the fact that he has grown a small church to this current size. He says size is not his goal.

I personally Don't like the mega church thing either, but the church in Jerusalem would have qualified for that description.....

Of  course Br. Chappel would NEVER own to it, but his actions betray him. 

I get his magazine, and see his stuff on line. 

David Cloud has raised the issue of music, so that is one problem.

I have many other concerns about his ministry, as well as others who are self-promoters - so my objections are not limited to Br. Chappel!  But I don't believe it would be very edifying to delve into all of that now. 

And I am not saying that Br. Chappel is the anti-christ or anything like that.  I am thankful for what he has accomplished, the souls saved, men trained, etc.  If I could summarize things, I would say that he is a leader in the IFB circles, and I believe he is treading on some dangerous ground as a leader, and even going down the wrong path on some issues. 

Moving on...

In Christ,

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Maybe it is my general dislike for Paul Chappel and his shameless promotion of himself and his ministries, as if he has some corner on something...I don't know...

What I do know is that is impractical and impossible for me to attend anything like these "conferences."  I have asked the Lord many times to provide the means to attend revivals, campmeetings, and other conferences over the years.  SInce the answer has almost always been "NO" then my conclusion is that the Lord does not think that I need to attend.  Therefore, I must learn to depend upon God and God's word to help me tackle the problems I encounter in the ministry and in life. 

Guess what?

The Lord has never failed to provide the answers I need when I need them.   

All these conferences do is build up man, and make other men to be followers of men.  The preachers who attend these conferences should learn how to depend upon the Lord, and allow the LORD to provide the answers through His word, instead of looking to these "workshops" to give us all of the latest worldly philosophy wrapped up in Bible verses.  

We are discussing "Revival" on a different thread.  These "workshops" and conferences are not about "REvival" or our relationship with the Lord.  They don't preach AGAINST sin.  It is all positive psychology.  It is all about How to build the biggest and best (fill in the blank).  PS - Make $ure you come back next year for more!!!

I am sorry to be so negative about it, but this Mega-church mentality in the IFB movement is really nauseating to me.  God has always used nobodies in small places to accomplish His work.  And when God promotes somebody, and uses somebody to do something "big," The genuine servants of the Lord don't promote themselves and the work God does through them. 

Look at Shubal Stearns.  The Lord used him to win souls and build Baptist churches all over the South.  So much so that the entire Bible Belt came about from his work.  Yet, when he died, there was nothing left of his Church at Sandy Creek.  Everyone had moved away, and he was left with a handfull of people.  But he sent out preacher after preacher after preacher, and those preachers started churches everywhere.

Can these megachurch types (like Chappel. Hyles, etc. etal.) handle a ministry like Shubal Stearns, or the Apostle Paul?  Paul died in jail with no church, no printing ministry, no radio ministry, no school, college, Bible Institute, or seminary.  Most of his friends deserted him.  Could Chappel and his like handle something like that?

That is my problem.  I simply don't see the similarity in ministry or attitude from these guys to the Apostle Paul, or other great men that God has used. 

I've wondered about those things called conferences. It seems to be a great way for pastors, preachers, to preach to the choir & make much money.

Seems all of those churches would be doing more of the Lords work if they spent all that money on reaching the lost.

And the flock is supposed to be fed in their local church, not in conferences.

Archived