• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pre Tribulation Rapture Of The Church

• Moderators

Why the feast of tabernacles? What is its abiding significance?

I spoke a bit on that in my former post:

We ARE told the people of the earth will celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem when Christ rules, so it would make sense that there would be a temple about which to gather, the dwelling place of God. This time to remember our redemption, not from bondage in Egypt, but from bondage to sin and death. Or, I supose, since it will be those still in the flesh during that time, perhaps it will be to remember how the Lord has cast Satan and his influence away, and their freedom from the bondage of imperfect human systems? Not sure, obviously, but it does say we will.

Just my conjecture, I admit, yet, there it is.

• Members

This is a description of the Third Temple, the Temple that will built just prior to Jesus' Second Coming.
The Second Temple was completely destroyed in 70 AD by the Romans, and there has been no temple since.

The temple that was destroyed in AD 70 was the third. 1st Temple by Solomon, 2nd at the command of Cyrus, 3rd by Herod, probably the largest as he had to build up the temple mount to accommodate it. 

• Members

The temple that was destroyed in AD 70 was the third. 1st Temple by Solomon, 2nd at the command of Cyrus, 3rd by Herod, probably the largest as he had to build up the temple mount to accommodate it.

The Jews count Herod's Temple as just an improvement of Nehemiah's Temple.
Solomon's is the 1st, Nehemiah's is the 2nd, there is no third... yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Temple Edited by beameup

• Members

Why the feast of tabernacles? What is its abiding significance?

The feast of tabernacles commemorated Israel's dwelling in the wilderness for 40 years. So the celebrated of it during the millennium would have to do with them commemorated their dwelling in the wilderness of the world prior to the Lord's coming.

The Jews count Herod's Temple as just an improvement of Nehemiah's Temple.
Solomon's is the 1st, Nehemiah's is the 2nd, there is no third... yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Temple

Yes, Herod's temple was considered a renovation not a complete new temple.

• Members

I believe the temple in the kingdom age will be spectacular!

Isaiah 60:17-21

17For brass I will bring gold, and for iron I will bring silver, and for wood brass, and for stones iron:

I will also make thy officers peace, and thine exactors righteousness.

18Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise.

19The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.

20Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

21Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.

22A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the LORD will hasten it in his time.

• Members

From "The Seven Feasts of Israel" by Zola Levitt

The Feast of Tabernacles celebrates the fact that God wanted to provide shelter for the Israelites in the wilderness (Leviticus 23:39-43).  Each year devout Jews build little shelters outside their houses and worship in them.  The Lord's great tabernacle will exist in Jerusalem during the Millennial Kingdom.  The entire world will come every year to appear before the King and worship Him.

Leviticus 23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
Leviticus 23:40 And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
Leviticus 23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.
Leviticus 23:42 Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths:
Leviticus 23:43 That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Additional information on the Feast of Tabernacles can be found here

Edited by LindaR

• Members

Will it not be something when the kings, great men, rich men, chief captains, mighty men, every bondman, every fee man, who rejected Jesus wants the mountains and rocks to fall on them to hide them from Him who sets on the throne.

Re 6:15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
Re 6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

• Members

Will it not be something when the kings, great men, rich men, chief captains, mighty men, every bondman, every fee man, who rejected Jesus wants the mountains and rocks to fall on them to hide them from Him who sets on the throne.

Re 6:15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
Re 6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

This is why they want to go under ground.

Fire in the Sky

Jeremiah 25:15-17,
15 For thus saith the LORD God of Israel unto me; Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it.

16 And they shall drink, and be moved, and be mad, because of the sword that I will send among them.

17 Then took I the cup at the LORD's hand, and made all the nations to drink, unto whom the LORD had sent me:

18 To wit, Jerusalem, and the cities of Judah, and the kings thereof, and the princes thereof, to make them a desolation, an astonishment, an hissing, and a curse; as it is this day;

29 For, lo, I begin to bring evil on the city which is called by my name, and should ye be utterly unpunished? Ye shall not be unpunished: for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the LORD of hosts.

30 Therefore prophesy thou against them all these words, and say unto them, The LORD shall roar from on high, and utter his voice from his holy habitation; he shall mightily roar upon his habitation; he shall give a shout, as they that tread the grapes, against all the inhabitants of the earth.

(((God cause man to fight man by nuclear war)))

31A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth; for the LORD hath a controversy with the nations, he will plead with all flesh; he will give them that are wicked to the sword, saith the LORD.

32 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, evil shall go forth from nation to nation, and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.

33 And the slain of the LORD shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground.

2 Peter 3:10–15 KJV
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Revelation 6:12–14 KJV
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

Isaiah 34:1–8 KJV
34 Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth
hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it.
2 For the indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.
3 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.
4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.

Another Old Testament prophet, Isaiah, also foresaw the nuclear war and he prophesied that the heavens will burn and roll up as a scroll. Apparently, all of the airplanes and nuclear missiles will fall from the sky during the war when the atmosphere burns. This judgment will be on all nations.

Isaiah 51:5–11 KJV
5 My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.
6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Isaiah 25:1–7 KJV
4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.
5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.
6 And in this mountain shall the Lord of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.
7 And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

In Isaiah 30:25–26, it says that the sun will become seven times stronger in the day of great slaughter. The day of great slaughter happens when the nuclear war takes place and the ozone layer is burned up as a scroll. Malachi 4:1 says that the earth will burn as an oven. In looking to the encyclopedia to see what parts of the atmosphere can burn, you will discover that the ozone is a triple oxygen molecule.
The ozone layer and the hydrogen layer are next to each other in the atmosphere above the earth. The chemical reaction when they burn is as follows:
Heat + oxygen + hydrogen = H2O (water) + greater heat
The ozone and hydrogen layers will be set on fire over Israel by an atomic blast, and then they will burn like the Hindenburg blimp. When the ozone and hydrogen burn, it will form hot water vapor that will condense into water droplets that will then become rain, which will form great hailstones that will fall to the earth along with torrential rain. When the atmosphere burns, the heavens will roll up as a scroll all the way around the earth, over every nation.

• Members

From "The Seven Feasts of Israel" by Zola Levitt

The Feast of Tabernacles celebrates the fact that God wanted to provide shelter for the Israelites in the wilderness (Leviticus 23:39-43).  Each year devout Jews build little shelters outside their houses and worship in them.  The Lord's great tabernacle will exist in Jerusalem during the Millennial Kingdom.  The entire world will come every year to appear before the King and worship Him.

Leviticus 23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
Leviticus 23:40 And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
Leviticus 23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.
Leviticus 23:42 Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths:
Leviticus 23:43 That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Additional information on the Feast of Tabernacles can be found here

Thank you, Linda.

Two of the most prominent aspects of the Feast of Tabernacles during the time of the Temple were light and water. Jesus used them to teach foundational truths: He alone is the one who can illuminate man’s spirit, and He alone can bring us from darkness into light. He is the only one who can quench man’s thirst. Power, sex, money, religion, and myriad other things can never quench the eternal thirst of the soul.

The Feast of Tabernacles stands as a reminder of God’s provision. Jesus used this feast to speak to man’s greatest need—forgiveness of sin—and the provision of God for that need—Himself, the Messiah of Israel.

When Zechariah prophesies:

14:16 And it shall come to pass, [that] every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

should we take literally? The Samaritan woman asked about worship - this mountain or Jerusalem - and was told neither. True worship is wherever people worship in spirit and in truth. As your link points out, Jesus calls attention to himself as living water and the light of the world. So followers of Jesus, wherever they are in the world, like Israel in the wilderness are in effect dwelling as strangers and pilgrims in the world. It's not earthly Jerusalem but Jerusalem above. 

Hebrews is always helpful in pointing to the spiritual significance of the provisions of the Law. He discusses Psalm 95 at length, and at the conclusion of his letter encourages his persecuted readers, who soon would have no earthly temple for worship:

13:10 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

14 For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.

15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.

16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

I submit that Zechariah is teaching a Christ-centred worship rather than celebration of one of the obsolete festivals. It would appear from Leviticus that there were no specific sacrifices during the feast, and of course as Christians we only celebrate one sacrifice- Calvary.

• Members

Thank you, Linda.

When Zechariah prophesies:

14:16 And it shall come to pass, [that] every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

should we take literally? The Samaritan woman asked about worship - this mountain or Jerusalem - and was told neither. True worship is wherever people worship in spirit and in truth. As your link points out, Jesus calls attention to himself as living water and the light of the world. So followers of Jesus, wherever they are in the world, like Israel in the wilderness are in effect dwelling as strangers and pilgrims in the world. It's not earthly Jerusalem but Jerusalem above. 

Hebrews is always helpful in pointing to the spiritual significance of the provisions of the Law. He discusses Psalm 95 at length, and at the conclusion of his letter encourages his persecuted readers, who soon would have no earthly temple for worship:

13:10 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

14 For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.

15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.

16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

I submit that Zechariah is teaching a Christ-centred worship rather than celebration of one of the obsolete festivals. It would appear from Leviticus that there were no specific sacrifices during the feast, and of course as Christians we only celebrate one sacrifice- Calvary.

Covenanter,

Did you ever consider that the original feast of tabernacles was a God centered feast too?

• Members

Covenanter,

Did you ever consider that the original feast of tabernacles was a God centered feast too?

All the sacrifices & feasts of the Law were God ordained. All pointed to Christ, & all became obsolete with his death & resurrection.

• Members

All the sacrifices & feasts of the Law were God ordained. All pointed to Christ, & all became obsolete with his death & resurrection.

If Jesus says keep the feast of tabernacles in the kingdom age or get no rain, I think it still applies.

• Members

It's pretty simple: Israel, the Adulterous Wife of Jehovah, has been set-aside (for the last 2,000 yrs.) and the Gospel given to the Gentiles.
When the Gentile, Bride of Christ, is removed from the earth [harpazo], then it will be Israel's turn again; and what a harvest they will have!

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will,
a DISPENSATION of the gospel is committed unto me. [Paul is the Apostle to the Gentiles]
Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the DISPENSATION of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the DISPENSATION of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God;
One, two, three witnesses - 2 Cor 13:1b " In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established."

Do those references to "dispensation" justify dispensationalism ???

There are over 300 references to "covenant." That surely establishes covenant theology, especially as "testament" is the same word and adds many more.

The "bride of Christ" is not Gentile, but comprises Jew and Gentile as one redeemed people of God in Christ. As Paul writes:

Gal. 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Rev. 5:And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Israel, as a believing people, has not been set aside - believers are grafted in whenever they believe. The many thousands who believed Christ in Apostolic times ultimately separated from ethnic Israel. Paul explains very carefully that true Israel, true Jews comprise believers only, both Jew & Gentile.

Rom. 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.