• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ccm Being Used By Temple Baptist Church Powell, Tn (Pastor Clarence Sexton)

brosmith

• Moderators

How would you explain worldly music, Mike, to what is Godly music? and where in the Bible can you show this?

My point was to explain the 'bar' form of music  for what it is, not "sung in a bar", as many assert.

As to your question, worldly music is music which clearly has been copied directly from music designed to intice the flesh and affet the heart in a worldly, carnal manner.

So many ignore the very words of the founders of the popular styles of music, the rock and pop and the like. These people, in wiriting the music and songs, in even developing specific styles, had a goal in mind: to incite rebellion in the listeners. The beatles admitted as much. 

I'm not going to post the entire article here, but David Cloud has an excellent article on his site that has numerous quotes from musicians, wirters, performers, etc, and what they understand music to be-and what they attempt to make it for their listeners.

It is here: http://www.wayoflife.org/database/characteristics_and_philosopy_of_rock.php

While a few are from Christian writings, the vast amjority, and even of few of those, are comments by the performers and writers, who better than any, understood what their music was, because it was they wrote it to be.

SO when Christians and churches seek to emulate their music styles, there is a problem and it is going to being about a carnal spirit in the hearts of the listeners.

Jeffery, please don't take this as an insult, but somehow it doesn't shock me that a person who drinks, smokes, approves of tattooing, apparently listens to rock and roll and sees it as positive for believers, would have difficulty understanding the concept of worldliness, as you seem to receive every aspect of it into your daily life and defend it with all your being as 'liberty'. You might want to do an indepth study in separation, something we see in scripture even from the garden of Eden.

BY the way, "godly" music would be holy and sanctified, while worldly music would be like all the trash you generally hear coming from the lost and bearing wicked fruit. Somehow I suspect that the music styles of "Amazing Grace" or "Bringing in the Sheaves" have ever caused someone to desire to smoke or take drugs or incited them to riot or rebellion. Music from JAzz to Blues to Rock to Country, do that to many.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jeffery, please don't take this as an insult, but somehow it doesn't shock me that a person who drinks, smokes, approves of tattooing, apparently listens to rock and roll and sees it as positive for believers, would have difficulty understanding the concept of worldliness, as you seem to receive every aspect of it into your daily life and defend it with all your being as 'liberty'. You might want to do an indepth study in separation, something we see in scripture even from the garden of Eden.

BY the way, "godly" music would be holy and sanctified, while worldly music would be like all the trash you generally hear coming from the lost and bearing wicked fruit. Somehow I suspect that the music styles of "Amazing Grace" or "Bringing in the Sheaves" have ever caused someone to desire to smoke or take drugs or incited them to riot or rebellion. Music from JAzz to Blues to Rock to Country, do that to many.

:goodpost:  :amen:

• Members

Much like tbe OP, I logged the downhill slide of FBC Hammond's Music. Because of incrementality, no one was outraged when our 'Spring Program' was opened with a Charismatic Song-BTC's "I Believe".No one was asked to lead prayer in their prayer language (a practice of BT) just a reworked song was sung.But music doesn't change by itself, it is not a cause. It is an effect, a manifestation of the cause. And my church was no exception.Simultaneously, the Word of God was being attacked. "spirit led" was replacing sound doctrine. Man worship had been there, festering for years.And so it is at Temple.The "originals" are inspired hocus pocus...try to nail Dr.Sexton down on it, and you'll be better at wet fish juggling.The cult of "leadership" is well entrenched there, as well.I pray that no such sexual perversion, as Hyles' son, or Schaap practiced, is ever practiced there. But experience tells me that one day bad news may once again hit the IFB headlines.I am in no way insinuating that I have heard or know of such, only that i see a pattern, that is too familiar to ignore. Anishinaabe

Mike! Welcome

• Members

My point was to explain the 'bar' form of music  for what it is, not "sung in a bar", as many assert.

As to your question, worldly music is music which clearly has been copied directly from music designed to intice the flesh and affet the heart in a worldly, carnal manner.

So many ignore the very words of the founders of the popular styles of music, the rock and pop and the like. These people, in wiriting the music and songs, in even developing specific styles, had a goal in mind: to incite rebellion in the listeners. The beatles admitted as much. 

I'm not going to post the entire article here, but David Cloud has an excellent article on his site that has numerous quotes from musicians, wirters, performers, etc, and what they understand music to be-and what they attempt to make it for their listeners.

It is here: http://www.wayoflife.org/database/characteristics_and_philosopy_of_rock.php

While a few are from Christian writings, the vast amjority, and even of few of those, are comments by the performers and writers, who better than any, understood what their music was, because it was they wrote it to be.

SO when Christians and churches seek to emulate their music styles, there is a problem and it is going to being about a carnal spirit in the hearts of the listeners.

Amen. I use to attend new evangelical Calvinistic type of churches before I became a part of the Fundamentalistic church I am a part of right now, and you can tell the difference between the lives of the people in these 2 types of churches. In my experience, those in Fundamentalistic churches are more spiritual than the other types of churches. Practicing the Biblical principles of separation plays a part.

• Members

Amen. I use to attend new evangelical Calvinistic type of churches before I became a part of the Fundamentalistic church I am a part of right now, and you can tell the difference between the lives of the people in these 2 types of churches. In my experience, those in Fundamentalistic churches are more spiritual than the other types of churches. Practicing the Biblical principles of separation plays a part.

Can you explain the process in which separation plays a part? You see, our experiences are the same but reversed, and I saw a lot of tires people working hard to keep their satndards and not trust Christ

• Moderators

Seaparation:

biblically, it often entails separating one's self from something, even when we don't see why it would be bad not to.

For instance: in Eden, God told Adam not to eat from the tree in the midst of the garden, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Presumably, Adam told Eve, but when dealing with the serpent, she didn't see what the harm would be, looking at it through her own  ideals: After all, it was good for food, attractive to the eyes and desirable to make one wise-how could it be bad?  My belief has always been that the Lord chose a tree not unlike others in the garden, but it became special when it ws forbidden for them.

Of course, in this example, we see that clearly the Lord gave them a command, and so it was clear for them.

IN the Mosaic laws, of course, there was a lot of separation:

Dress, different from the nations, including a blue ribband and a fringe on the hem.

Certain meats were okay, MOST were not, including sea animals, bired and creeping things.

Could not mix seeds in your field or fabrics in your garments.

But why? Where these things bad for you? Were they evil, in and of themselves? Of course not, for all these things went away after Christ, (SDA's excluded).  What made them wrong was the clear command of God against them.

Why did God choose some things and make them 'evil'? Before the law there was nothing wrong with them, and after the law, there is nothing wrong with them, so why then? Why do that at all? Simply, in the Lords words, "To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten." (Lev 11:44)

Today, there is much less that we are told we CANNOT do. Yes, we still have 9 of the 10 commandments which are repeated in the NT, and certain things, like blood and things strangled and idols and fornication, but not a huge amount else specifically. Why? because we have an entire set of OT books to look at to learn, through the Spirit of God, from what we should separate ourselves.

Do we have liberty? Sure. Does that mean automatically all we would like to do is alright? Obviously not. All things are not expedient, all things don't edify-that means, even though all things are lawful, there are somethings we should, by experience, by discernment, by associations, by fruit, be able to look at and discern that it is not edifying.

Hence, we can see in rock music a solid history of rebellion, of violence, of drug and alcohol use associated with the MUSIC. As such, it shouldn't be too hard to see that this music has borne much evil fruit, by design. long before it was introduced into the churches and American Christianity.  and honestly, it was introduced through the Jesus People movement, which was made up of a  lot of unsaved people bringing their music in for use by the church. People whose testimony was usually meeting Jesus while high on LSD.

• Members

...separation is of the heart and mind, Rom 2 and Rom 12

Keep reading Jeffrey.  Separation should also be physical, we're to protect ourselves and loved ones from things that separate us from God.

Some say it's awful that I listen to Bluegrass Gospel but I find it draws me closer to the Lord and brings about awe, praise, thanksgiving and more.

Landmark Baptist in Haines City, Florida has a radio station (streaming too) and they often play bluegrass gospel music.  Seems fine to me.

• Members

Keep reading Jeffrey.  Separation should also be physical, we're to protect ourselves and loved ones from things that separate us from God.

Paul makes more of an  issue of separating from fellow believers who are not living right  1Cor 5:11

• Members

Paul makes more of an  issue of separating from fellow believers who are not living right  1Cor 5:11

That's right.  And some dude who reads Egyptian bibles, brinks booze, gets tattoos, etc. is someone me, my family and congregation will separate from if they don't get right with the Lord.

• Members

That's right.  And some dude who reads Egyptian bibles, brinks booze, gets tattoos, etc. is someone me, my family and congregation will separate from if they don't get right with the Lord.

Can you prove any of this through Scripture?? especially in the NT?? you do realize it is basically the IFB which holds the KJVO position, right??

so are you saying that only God is working through the IFB only?

• Moderators

Can you prove any of this through Scripture?? especially in the NT?? you do realize it is basically the IFB which holds the KJVO position, right??

so are you saying that only God is working through the IFB only?

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

So, this is pretty clearly not JUSt separation of heart, but of body, as well. And this is where we must consider influences, fruits and fellowship of the things we do. This includes, yes, alcohol, tobbacco, music, etc. Even Bible versions.

In the accounts I gave in an earlier post, we see that the Lord gave very specifically THINGS from which to separate, again, to teach us how to discern good from evil, and holy from profane. This way, now that we are under grace, not law, and have liberty, not bondage, we should hearken back to the lessons learned in those times to seek how to best discern what is neither edifying, nor expedient, even though lawful. Because we CAN do it doesn't mean we SHOULD.

The associations of rock music and its children, as well as predecessors, like Jazz and Blues, even country, have wicked associations, a wicked history and wicked fruits. It has been associated with loose morals, violence, rebellion, it is anti-authority, anti-God, pro-drugs, pro-drunkenness, pro-occultism, etc.

So, why would we want to associate anything of God with such wicked roots? How can we have communion between light and darkness, an accord between Christ and Belial? CCM is just that. Not that every song is bad in and of itself, but the general style, the overall intention to sound and look like the secular music and performers. It seeks to conform to the world, rather to be transformed by the Spirit of God.

Archived