• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Curious on dental cost...

Anon

• Members

Anyone here ever had a couple of teeth filed down and capped? My front two teeth have been such a pain, they are like bunny teeth. haha. I really need braces but that's not really going to be an option due to price and also a genetic gum problem I have...it would be too hard to keep my gums healthy.

Anyway if I could get my front two teeth filed down and capped (or whatever) it would even things up enough to where I'd be satisfied...but would this be super expensive? It just doesn't *sound* expensive...but then dentists do usually get "theirs" for sure.

I want to call and ask but they'll probably make me come in and I'm not in the mood for that....

• Members
I've lived with buck-teeth all my life and even though it is not attractive at all, I don't like the alternative.

I'd advise to find out how to improve your gum and teeth health and then see about braces.

Hmmm no its genetic....I could get my gums fairly healthy before braces but it would be nearly impossible to keep them healthy with braces on. My teeth are healthy...only one cavity so far in 33 years...but my gums are not as simple.

• Members

My dentist told me my teeth are strong and healthy but something about my gums makes them likely to get gum disease. For whatever reason, I've battled bad bouts of this most of the year. FAR worse than anything I've ever experienced before and I have no idea why.

• Members

I had a friend, in fact a classmate, he got 2 teeth knocked out some how. He decided to take things into his own hands. He had one tooth in the top front right hand side out, and the one just nearly right below it.

He remember seeing a deer skull with teeth in it. So he gets himself 2 teeth from the deer skull. Goes gets himself a tube of super glue. Goes home and glues them in. Only thing, they're to long both of them are to long.

So he goes over to a friends house and borrows his larger hand held grinder, it had about a 4 inch grinder wheel on it. Back home in front of the mirror he takes the grinder and grinds them down to the proper height, he was now in business, they work great, but he looks quite strange when he smiles and that new upper tooth shows itself.

Maybe this will help you Suzy.

I might add, yes, its a true story, but did I tell you how much he likes moonshine?

• Members

I had my two front teeth filed down by Dentist Barry Edland (best dentist I've ever seen) and it was very inexpensive. I've had many of my teeth filed, filled, capped...usually the capping part is very expensive. I wouldn't recommend anyone get their teeth capped just from my own personal experience with it. It's a waste of money because it doesn't last as long as other methods. I've had 6 cappings...none of them are in place now. Capping your front teeth may be different, though, so I'm not sure.

Edit: this was Rachel, not Samer. SIGHHHHHHHHHH :P

• Administrators

I had extensive dental work done recently. I had two teeth pulled and 3 filed and capped. I wanted all of my teeth pulled and dentures, but the dentist didn't want to do that. He said I had strong bones...

It was kind of expensive, and it would have been cheaper to get them pulled and get dentures - not to mention I wouldn't have any pain in my mouth at all now.

Suzy - maybe look into the possibility of getting the two teeth pulled and getting implanted teeth. I know someone who has this, and the teeth are put into the gum to stay there - no taking out like a partial denture. And you can't tell that they aren't her own teeth.

I do believe that the prices I heard were cheaper for that than crowns. You have to have a temp crown while the permanent crown is being made - and they can pop out easily (believe me - every one of mine did!!!!).

The permanent crowns are put in with some kind of permanent glue - but, as my dentist said, permanent implies eternal, and that's not gonna happen! :lol: They could come out, I've known one or two people that it's happened to. But the majority of people I know with crowns have never had problems with them.

• Members

I was watching a tv program about dentistry a couple of days ago. There are so many options now for solving most any particular dental problem. Implants would be a good choice for replacing a few teeth. They are expensive, but they are permanent. If I got this right, the dentist implants a metal device into the bone of the gum and then a temporary device is made for the space while the bone grows around the implanted device. When it is solid enough, a fake tooth is attached to the device and it won't come out. At least that is the theory. The fake teeth are very durable and can't be told from a real tooth.
There is also a new way to do dentures that seems to work very well. The dentist implants two or three metal devices into the bone in the gum that have a hook or fastener on them. Then the denture is hooked onto the implanted devices and the denture is very secure and solid in the mouth. The dentist on the tv show said his mother had this system and she was very happy with it. It sounds like a winner to me!
I guess the problem is with finding a dentist who does this sort of thing and is good at it. CJP56.

• Members
I was watching a tv program about dentistry a couple of days ago. There are so many options now for solving most any particular dental problem. Implants would be a good choice for replacing a few teeth. They are expensive, but they are permanent. If I got this right, the dentist implants a metal device into the bone of the gum and then a temporary device is made for the space while the bone grows around the implanted device. When it is solid enough, a fake tooth is attached to the device and it won't come out. At least that is the theory. The fake teeth are very durable and can't be told from a real tooth.
There is also a new way to do dentures that seems to work very well. The dentist implants two or three metal devices into the bone in the gum that have a hook or fastener on them. Then the denture is hooked onto the implanted devices and the denture is very secure and solid in the mouth. The dentist on the tv show said his mother had this system and she was very happy with it. It sounds like a winner to me!
I guess the problem is with finding a dentist who does this sort of thing and is good at it. CJP56.

Cost is the problem for many people.

I've got dentures, in 2005 I got a new set, $550.00.

Haven't had a toothache in years, would y'all believe that? :cool

Of course one can put in implants like my friend did and save a bundle of money. :uuhm:

Although, they are not cheap...you might want to check out Veneers. If it is only your 2 front teeth...you might want to talk with your dentist about Veneers for both of those teeth. I have known people to have success with Veneers instead of caps.

• Members

I got it posted here, but it took me a while to get it in the right topic, hopefully I finally got it under the right topic. :ooops

This may be a week of total confusion. :roll

Today, with improved cements and bonding agents, they typically last 10-30 years. But patients who receive veneers should understand that they may only last 10-15 years and then may have to be replaced. This can be very expensive since porcelain veneers cost around $1,000 each in 2006 prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneer_(dentistry)

I know a man who has a mouth full of porcelain veneers, his teeth don't really look real, to white. But, he has expensive teeth.