• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Maple Tea

Eric Stahl

• Members

Add pure grade A maple syurp to hot water.

Add till desired sweetness and flavor.

It tastes so good it must be bad for you!

I drive over Shade mountain in central Pa. USA while traveling between the two quarries I work for. There is a small building about the size of an old out house along the Route 104 where they sell fresh maple syurp on the honor system. One day I stopped and bought some maple syrup and took it back to National Limestone Quarry where I work. We have a hot or cold water dispenser. Some times we make tea or instant coffee or hot coca. One day I thought about trying maple syurp in my tea but decided to skip the tea after I saw the maple tea. I tasted it and a new drink was born.

• Members

I thought maple syrup was Canadian.  At least what you can buy here is.

Maple syrup is from wherever there are maple trees located. Plus, I once lived only 15 minutes from the Canadian border in Upstate, New York. Vermont is the largest producer in the USA..

By the way, maple syrup (the real stuff) is very expensive. Most of the stuff sold in stores is really colored corn syrup. The real maple syrup made in America actually contains more maple sugar (by law) than Canada's.

Sugar Maple is the state tree of New York, Vermont and Wisconsin.

• Members

I have just looked at my jar.  It does not give an origin.  Says it contains maple syrup, 40% plus Carob fruit syrup.  Says use within 4 weeks of opening, best before  11 Jan 2012.  I suppose I'd better get a new jar. 

• Members

I have just looked at my jar.  It does not give an origin.  Says it contains maple syrup, 40% plus Carob fruit syrup.  Says use within 4 weeks of opening, best before  11 Jan 2012.  I suppose I'd better get a new jar. 

That's not pure grade A maple syrup.  Canadian maple syrup is around 70% plus maple sugar while American is almost pure maple syrup. What you have is a syrup made from an evergreen tree that has some maple sugar added to it. You should try to get some real grade A maple syrup if you can find some. The taste is fantastic. There's grade B maple syrup too which has a stronger taste and flavor but maybe too much for most peoples liken.

• Members

That's not pure grade A maple syrup.  Canadian maple syrup is around 70% plus maple sugar while American is almost pure maple syrup. What you have is a syrup made from an evergreen tree that has some maple sugar added to it. You should try to get some real grade A maple syrup if you can find some. The taste is fantastic. There's grade B maple syrup too which has a stronger taste and flavor but maybe too much for most peoples liken.

Yes I see that now, it is still a lot more expensive than that called "Maple Flavoured Syrup"

I will have a look around, the stores.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Skip maple syrup and make this instead. Your tongue will do a happy dance!

Ingredients Edit and Save
Original recipe makes 2 cupsChange Servings
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar

• 3/4 cup buttermilk

• 1/2 cup butter

• 2 tablespoons corn syrup

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
  1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.

Some prep notes:   1.  When it cools, it gets hard like chewy caramels, which is excellent on ice cream, but use right away for pancakes.  2.  Stop the boil immediately once the entire mixture changes color and becomes a syrup instead of just a bunch of stuff in a pot.  3.  Use a huge pot!  This mixture expands to 6 times it's original volume.   4.  Do NOT add the vanilla until the syrup has cooled enough to stop bubbling or you will get a bitter taste from burnt vanilla.

Bro. Garry

Archived