• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who's racist?

• Administrators
I will not buy from someone based on the color of ones skin.

Looks like Martin Luthers dream has not come true yet if people will not buy from a store based on the color of the owners skin.

I don't think it's right to buy based on skin color. But I still say that free market allows for that - supply and demand.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If we truly had a free market then anyone who owns a business could determine who they would and wouldn't deal with based upon whatever they wanted to base such upon...and this was once the case. However, this no longer applies due to various laws that have been passed over the past 40 or so years.

I've heard this talk in black churches, from black professors and from black Muslims over the years. This is nothing new.

• Members

Yeah,
It's sad.......
We also had Jim Crow Laws then too.
Most people just won't do right on their own, so government ends up forcing them to do so......and we lose another piece of freedom each time.
Then we all fuss about that.

I do business with black people, white people, Indians, Hispanics........it don't matter. I treat them right, treat them with respect, they come back and send others my way. I am a white businessman...these people seem to have no problem with that. I would even hire some minorities if my business was large enough. The people in the article have a burr in their saddle, or a nail in their craw for some reason or other. Maybe they've been mistreated and have let it turn them into 'haters'. How sad to feel that way.

• Members

Yeah..I have no problem working with anyone of any race...I make cakes for pretty much anyone (unless the cake itself is against my convictions) and I buy from whoever as well...I don't look at the color of the skin of the checkout person or whatever. I think its crazy. I mean yeah, we try to do business with Christians or whatever but we aren't going to make it some kind of way of life that we refuse to do business with anyone else.

• Administrators
I mean yeah' date=' we try to do business with Christians or whatever but we aren't going to make it some kind of way of life that we refuse to do business with anyone else.[/quote']

Anyone can be a Christian, but not everyone can be white, black, or any other color.

• Members
I will not buy from someone based on the color of ones skin.

Looks like Martin Luthers dream has not come true yet if people will not buy from a store based on the color of the owners skin.

Yes... and, it is sad that he is not alive to see this. He would be quite upset. "Content of character" is everything. This color of one's skin is really disturbing. Again... the USA is the "great melting pot" of all cultures. This is pure discrimination.

I do business with black people' date=' white people, Indians, Hispanics........it don't matter. I treat them right, treat them with respect, they come back and send others my way. I am a white businessman...these people seem to have no problem with that. I would even hire some minorities if my business was large enough. The people in the article have a burr in their saddle, or a nail in their craw for some reason or other. Maybe they've been mistreated and have let it turn them into 'haters'. How sad to feel that way.[/quote']

Yep. Me too! As it should be. My hubby discriminates against NO one in his business. When I taught school... I NEVER did, either.

In Christ ~

Molly

• Administrators

We all pick and choose where we are going to buy for our own reasons. And stores cater to whatever reasons the owners decide to follow, for whatever clientelle they want. Even business owners do that. So why can't these people? They don't have freedom of choice to buy from people of the same skin color if they so choose? I know, the idea is kind of repugnant, because we all know what would be said if white people came out and said they only bought from white people. But the fact remains that there is nothing inherently wrong with what they are doing.

Some shops cater to women. Some to men. Some to children. Exclusively. So, if they are encouraging blacks to become business owners, why is that wrong? Most likely, if a white person wanted to buy from them, they'd sell. If not, it's their business.

Do I think it's right to "discriminate" on the basis of skin color? No - actually, I think it's kinda childish. But I do think the folks in the article have a right to patronize the businesses they want to. For whatever reason they choose. Just as any of us do.

• Members
I know' date=' the idea is kind of repugnant, because we all know what would be said if white people came out and said they only bought from white people. But the fact remains that there is nothing inherently wrong with what they are doing. [/quote']

Except for the fact... that ALL other people are excluded. Whites did that... and they got "called on the carpet" for it. As it should be... might I add. Why are these people any different? Skin color... that is all. We are ALL human beings. Each one of us has a conscience and a soul. When I taught in the Cleveland Municipal School District? Anyone that wasn't AA was called an "Other"... when I took attendance. That is pure discrimination... right there.

John made a good point. This is really nothing new. However, now we are going to be segregated again? I can see that one coming in the soon to be USSA. :( I don't agree with segregation of cultures... and I never will. The Preamble of the Constitution in our nation... as you know, begins with "We the people..." That doesn't mean the color of one's skin. It means ALL people. Again... it is all about person's "character" not the color of their skin.

God bless,

Molly

• Members

Yes, sister, we all have rights...but that doesn't make every one of them 'right'. Jesus could have went around Samaria one day because he wanted to visit only Jews, but I'm glad He wasn't that way.

Excerpts from the article:

Maggie Anderson said. "It's like, my people have been here 400 years and we don't even have a Walgreens to show for it."
Well, I don't know if there are any black owned Walgreens...is that even possible? is Walgreens a franchise? There's a black-owned KFC just down the road from my office, and at least two black-owned law firms. My black neighbor is a physician and her husband owns a construction business. How would this couple react if white folk did the same? What's going to happen if a white business owner decides he only wants whites for employees?....how long would he get away with that? I've done some reading about a man named George Washington Carver, who not only helped "his people" but all of us poor folks in the south. And who helped him? Some godly white people. That's the way a Christian should do.

From a Christian perspective, "my people" are other Christians, no matter the color. From an American Christian perspective, "my people" are other Americans, no matter what color. There are, no doubt, a few thousand self employed blacks, and black-owned businesses in this country. Why doesn't thsi couple start one of them? Is what they're doing, helping to bond Americans, instead of divide us even more?

Caption
April 16, 2009: Maggie Anderson, right, talks with Michael Hill at the black-owned Vino Libro wine bar in Atlanta.
Maybe they need to get saved and find a good Bible believing church first.

• Members

Why don't I just start naming every race in the USA. Asian Americans, Arab Americans, Hispanic Americans, Indian Americans... etc, etc. I think you get my point, though. :))

I don't know about Walgreen's, either. All I know... is that I have ALWAYS lived in a cultural city. Hey, they could move up North. We have all cultures here... and, I am so GLAD for that.

From a Christian perspective' date=' "my people" are other Christians, no matter the color. From an American Christian perspective, "my people" are other Americans, no matter what color. There are, no doubt, a few thousand self employed blacks, and black-owned businesses in this country. Why doesn't thsi couple start one of them? Is what they're doing, helping to bond Americans, instead of divide us even more? [/quote']

Amen, heartstrings! I don't see this as "helping to bond Americans" though... although, it could. I dunno. I see it as a division... and, they do need our prayers. This nation, world, and people are ALWAYS in my prayers. :thumb Skin color... as most everyone knows, should not make any difference... whatsoever. One would think that the USA is past that point. Apparently not. :(

God bless,

Molly

• Members

Some of your universites are teaching the students now that only whites can be racist.

Now? This has been being taught for decades! I can't even count the number of times I heard that taught when I attended university. This is also taught in many black churches, by Black Muslims and many others.

One might recall that back when America was mostly filled with those who thought of themselves as Americans, America was 90% white and most of those were descended from those who had come here to become Americans.

Since at least the 1960s, when the liberal floodgates really came wide open, blacks have been encouraged to build black pride and black unity and to look upon whites as evil. With the changing of immigration laws America became flooded with various people groups vastly different from the majority. While some of these new people groups did try to become Americans, many more chose the path of retaining another identity and viewing America as evil...which they learned from the liberal establishment.

Seeing the fruits of liberal "progess" all around us should really not surprise anyone.