• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Interesting evangelism opportunity yesterday.

• Members

Isn't is fun when God brings the mission field to you?

Yesterday, my boys and I were doing some work for a family friend while she is on vacation and my oldest daughter is staying in her house and babysitting her dogs while she's away.

So, we're working in the bathroom when the dog starts barking and the doorbell rings. I opened it up and who's there but a Jehovah's Witness.

I started to say thank you and close the door, but then I thought "Don't be a hypocrite. You can't lead an evangelism team and then pass up a chance for evangelism when it falls on your doorstep (literally!)."

I offered her a chair and we started to talk and, as I glanced up the street, I saw an army of little old Jehovah's Witness ladies all coming our way, six in all.

I asked her if she would excuse me for one second and I went to my truck and got my Bible.
If you've ever talked to a JW, then you know that they will insist that you listen to them but will vehemently refuse to listen to anything you have to say. But instead of that, I found that all six of these ladies allowed me to speak. I can't say for sure, but I believe that God knew I'd be in that house and that they would be on that street and He softened their hearts to hear the Gospel.

Whenever I talk to JWs or Mormons, my philosophy is to witness to them like you would any other lost person because once you get into the problems with their religion (and who among us isn't tempted to say "Oh yeah? Well, what about all of Joseph Smith's failed prophecies?") because that immediately puts them on the defensive and they will shut out anything else you have to say.

So we talked about sin and the Gospel and salvation and I laid out a pretty good Gospel presentation but I didn't really think they were getting it. It finally occurred to me that I had stated that Jesus is God, which caused them to tune out.

I know that JWs don't believe that Hebrews 1:8 says that Jesus is God, but it does and so I quoted it to them anyway: "But to the Son, [The Father] says, Thy throne, o God, is forever and ever."

"You see, ladies, here we have God the Father declaring that Jesus is God. Now, I know that your New World Translation says 'but to the Son, [the Father] says 'God is your throne forever and ever' but if I can see your NWT Bible for just one minute, I believe I can show you from your own Bible why that doesn't make sense."

And so one of the ladies volunteered her Bible and I pointed down a little further in the passage to v 10 and showed why the context does not allow for their translation and that Jesus must be God.

Otherwise, it was a pretty typical evangelism encounter except that they were so quiet and respectful while I was showing them God's word. If you've ever talked to a JW, then you know that that NEVER happens. The moment you start to say anything that disagrees with Watchtower doctrine, they will immediately shut you out.

It was just amazing to watch their demeanor change once I started reading scripture to them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Amen!!That is awesome that you were able to share the Gospel with them. I had a similiar experience the other night and was able to share the Gospel with a JW. She also was very quiet and respectful and was willing to listen once I started reading scripture. She didn't trust Christ to save her but a seed was planted. God's Word is powerful!

• Members
Amen!!That is awesome that you were able to share the Gospel with them. I had a similiar experience the other night and was able to share the Gospel with a JW. She also was very quiet and respectful and was willing to listen once I started reading scripture. She didn't trust Christ to save her but a seed was planted. God's Word is powerful!

Praise God for the planted seed!