• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is A Mohawk Sin?

• Members

I'm sorry for the question I ask and have removed it, and as I said I wasn't trying to change the topic

I was just concern of what someone believes without providing the Word of God. ( both the old and the new testaments )

I believe Pastor Mike post it better than I did and thank him for doing so.

God bless 

• Administrators

I'm sorry for the question I ask and have removed it, and as I said I wasn't trying to change the topic
I was just concern of what someone believes without providing the Word of God. ( both the old and the new testaments )

I believe Pastor Mike post it better than I did and thank him for doing so.

God bless

Oh, no, EK - I was referring to the law vs not the law conversation that was starting. While a good subject, it would simply muddy the waters here. Your post. was fine.

• Members

Oh, no, EK - I was referring to the law vs not the law conversation that was starting. While a good subject, it would simply muddy the waters here. Your post. was fine.

Thank you very much , I saw were my question was headed and with respect to rOBomac68 thread I removed it  trying to get it back on track again.

thank you for your kindness

God bless

• Members

Not long. It is all the admonition we have (men).
Hair style doesn't come from God, it comes from culture.
There is no way to discuss hair style, without discussing a secondary topic parallel to hair.
For instance:
A child, under their parent's authority, is commanded to OBey their parents. Hence, if their father says "No Mohawk", then they sin to wear one.

Anishinabe

• Members

Is A Mohawk Sin?

I think the question needs to be redifined to something along the lines of "Does having a Mohawk or anything else attributed to today's worldly culture glorify God?" If it doesn't than don't do it. We are representatives of Christ in this world and as such we have a responsibility to be lights amidst the darkness ... JM2C :twocents:

• Members

Not long. It is all the admonition we have (men).
Hair style doesn't come from God, it comes from culture.
There is no way to discuss hair style, without discussing a secondary topic parallel to hair.
For instance:
A child, under their parent's authority, is commanded to OBey their parents. Hence, if their father says "No Mohawk", then they sin to wear one.

Anishinabe

Agree. I think some of the IFB standards pertaining to hairstyles are outside the scope of what is mentioned in Scripture. Not that the standards themselves are wrong, but labeling as Biblical what is not in it smells of adding to what is actually written. Edited by Arbo

• Members

Agree. I think some of the IFB standards pertaining to hairstyles are outside the scope of what is mentioned in Scripture. Not that the standards themselves are wrong, but labeling as Biblical what is not in it smells of adding to what is actually written.

I agree. I think you have hit the nail on the proverbial haircutted head. The Bible gives basic guidelines for modesty, yes. My concern is that there are no very 'specific' verses that pertain to such other than modesty. Modesty is defined in the Bible, yes. Sometimes, it feels as though many hyper conservative fundies are adding something that parallels what they think the Scripture states and take this 'man made' definition of what is acceptable as serious as Scripture itself or quoting it as Scriptural.

Everyone has their own decisions, likes, dislikes, preferences, etc in everything in this world. We have our favorite Bible verses, our favorite friends, our favorite topics. Those are also held to a standard that need to be monitored and compared to Scriptural truth. The same applies to fashion and hairstyles. It's not what a man deems as right and acceptable or wrong and blasphemous but what that person, through their own personal study of Scripture, to be glorifying to God.

One of my favorite books is called "Tortured Texts" and it shows how easily we accept 'sayings' or 'phrasings' for truth. While they might come from what a person feels is a good place does not make it from God.

Edited by jocuserious

• Members

This whole thing about the mohawk sounds to me about a would-be rebel on an ego trip.  A Christian is to be on a trip to glory, not on an ego trip that possibly leads in the other direction. 

Strange how the young always want to be different and they end up all being the same.  They should spend more time in the Proverbs getting some good advice and listen less to their worldly peers.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

I have only seen what you believe and not what the word of God says would you post scripture backing what you believe

would you give scripture from the word of God proving what you believe

lets search the scriptures together my friend I think you will find a lot of what you say is wrong , what you have posted does not prove your point and you have misunderstood Gods word.

To be honest, there are no Bible verses that talk specifically about a mohawk and all the verses speak on modesty have been brought up in previous pages on this forum. While I do agree that Scriptural relevance is important the statements I was rebutting use Scripture that is not specific towards this topic but used as the opinions of those men have attempted to make it relevant to this topic.

In my area, a mohawk (especially a low mohawk or fauxhawk) is considered modest. I do not consider it modest in Iowa. Why? There are differences on what is perceived as modest in that area, especially in the church.

I feel this argument is similar to such: 2014-05-05-cc318e9.png

Edited by jocuserious

• Moderators

As far as I know, the only NT scripture that speaks in men's hair is in 1Cor 11, where it says it is a shame for a man to have long hair. Why is it a shame? because long hair was given to the woman as he glory, as a covering because in wearing it long, it represents her acceptance of her husband's, (of unmarried, father or brother), authority, or headship, over her. As such, wearing her hair long, she is submissive to her husband, thus to God, and is fit to pray and speak the things of God.

So when a man wears his hair long, he is showing himself as a woman, not fit to be in a leadership place in his family, thus, not accepting of the Lord's leadership-he is as a woman, and is thereby not fit to pray or speak the word of God.

Hence its a shame because he is showing himself to be as a woman. And despite what current culture says, a man should be a man and show himself a man, which includes short hair. How short? If you need to ask, "Is it short enough?, it prOBably isn't.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Ahh no, God defines right and wrong and the whole world is in rebellion to God.  Living a separated life is to live a God-honoring life, it is when Christians stray from holiness and righteousness that the Christian is then in rebellion to God and His Word.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Edited by swathdiver
grammar