• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is A Mohawk Sin?

• Members

My 5 year old son wanted a mohawk. My wife and I are not lovers of the hairstyle. We have 2 girls and 2 boys. While they are living at home, we are rearing the girls to have long hair and the boys short hair. The mohawk is definately short. We wanted to say no, but didn't. Why didn't we? Our children are very good at hearing the word "no" and OBeying with very little whining. The prOBlem is, we say "no" alot. Just going to Wal-mart, our children see alot of the "world" and we have to frequently say "no" and usually give an explaination. So when it came to the mohawk, we didn't just blurt out a "no" because I wanted a Biblical explanation as to why I was saying no. The only thing I could come up with was separation from the world. Just one prOBlem, my world and my children's world doesn't have any mohawks. Two years ago, my neice's hubby got a mohawk and kept it for a couple months. He lives 4 hours away and is supposedly a Christian so I didn't feel this fell under worldly separation. That is the only place I can think of that my son has even seen a mohawk. He is not trying to fit into a group. He is homeschooled and there aren't any mohawks at church.

So my 5 yo has a mohawk. PrOBlem. My parents saw this and immediately told him they didn't like his hair; they were quite blunt. The other night, my dad said it was sad my son had a mohawk since he didn't have any choice in the matter. My dad thinks I wanted my son to have this mohawk and that it is sad I am forcing such a "worldly" haircut on him??? This is the same man that pokes fun at me because we live so conservatively, in his eyes we might as well be Amish. So now both my parents think I am pushing worldliness on my son. Now I am wondering if I should cut my sons hair because it might be a stumbling block for my parents. Isn't "falsely accusing" me of pushing worldliness on my son, when I am not, a sin? Do I need to cut my son's hair because I am causing my parents to sin? If I tell him he is going to have to get rid of the mohawk, I want my Bible in hand to explain it to him. Do I need to do this and how do I do this? Any thoughts??

If you will google this you will find a lot of information on the wikipedia links about the mohawk hairstyle some dating back to 600 bc . there is a lot of evil here related to this style of haircut which relates to war, Satan worship, death, Hitler, and much more. you should be able to use this information to show your son in God's Word the truths of these evils. praying and God blees   

• Members

If you do your hair to be seen of men as being a spiritual warfare warrior as you claim, "I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. . .It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. Ephesians 6:12 depicts a spiritual battle, and my hair reflects that in an outward act of symbolism" as the pharisees who wore outward symbols of their spirituality "phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments," so you are doing the same so you have your reward already.

AV, you didn't pay attention to what he said...

I don't tell many people this, but for the sake of conversations and reasoning, I'll let you in on a secret. I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. My ancestors wore their hair in this manner to signify they were warrior. It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. 

He's not out proclaiming this to people...to be seen of men.

• Members

Spiritual warfare is just that, spiritual, and no hair cut or style is reflective of that.

A Mohawk hair style reflects back to pagan warriors who served false gods and waged war in accord with their false religious beliefs. In more modern times, the Mohawk is reflective of the punk movement, some aspects of rock and roll, as well as some aspects of outlaw gangs.

There is more than enough connection between Mohawk hair style and evil for a Christian to separate from such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've known many Christians who have fallen into the trap of looking like the world so that they can "be more approachable" in the eyes of non-believers. I've seen many Christians justify tattoos, multiple piercings, multi-colored hair, immodest clothing, wild hairstyles, etc. in the name of "looking like everyone else". They justify it by saying things like, "I've had lots of non-christians who have tattoos approach me and ask about Jesus, because I have tattoos like they do." Non-christians, hold us to a higher standard. The world is waiting to see a Christian fall. When we can't be distinguished from non-believers, they call us hypocrites. They say, "typical Christian, picking and choosing. They'll condemn abortion and gay marriage, but dress like that" or "pffffft they beat people over the head with Bible verses about going to church, but they ignore the verses about not getting tattoos". 

The world does not look at a Christian covered in tattoos of pinup girls with spikes sticking out of their bottom lip and a mohawk and take their witness seriously. Instead, the world looks at people like that and they say, "yeah, now that's a Christian I could hang with!". And why is that? Is it because their outward appearance conveys the impression they're more approachable? No. It's because the Gospel is offensive to the non-believer and they assume if you dress/look/speak/act like they do, then clearly you're not going to be one of those "Bible thumpers" who will make them feel convicted about their sinful state. 

This is all the more crucial if you're involved in church ministry and/or leadership. Song leaders, youth pastors, Sunday school teachers, bus ministry workers, deacons and their wives/children, etc. should be even more strict in their behavior and dress. 

• Members

AV, you didn't pay attention to what he said...

He's not out proclaiming this to people...to be seen of men.

Just like the Pharisee's of Jesus day did not tell the people the reason for the large borders on their garments and the large booklets tied around their heads were for them looking more spiritual.  But Christ revealed it was so.

This man's mohawk was for spiritual reasons by his own admission.

• Members

To the OP:

Many things in life will not be chapter and verse, but you will have to use principles to determine how your family will operate.  For example, are electronic games sinful?  I know some families who will not let their children use electronics for games and others who will.  Each has a principle that they use for their family.

I think the bigger question is "Am I capitulating because I want to keep my kids happy since I always say no, or am I allowing this because I truly find it childish and harmless and it will be a fun time for my son and me.?"

You indicated both are true for you.  Then your parents call you out on it, seemingly ironically.

You need to decide what works for your family and go with that.  You do need to consider the testimony value, as well as the understanding your child has about your family rules and the faith from which they stem.  (At this age your child may not even be saved and should just OBey because it is your family's rules rather than in OBedience to the Bible principles about worldliness.

For our home, and our community, the mohawk style is definitely part of the "I need to stand out" "I'm different than you" "I don't conform" culture, so the Mohawk would not be a hairstyle we would be sporting or supporting.  You need to consider where you live and how things are perceived.

As to the brother with the mohawk, welcome.  I'm glad that you are doing what you feel is a Biblical reminder of your inner man.  We have young people in our community who tattoo themselves with Scripture references and phrases for the same purpose as your hair.  While I don't feel either is the best approach in my area of the country, I at least can say these people are trying to be spiritually alert day to day which is a great start.