• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is A Mohawk Sin?

• Members

I think it depends.

First of all, let's remember that hairstyles are cultural and, thus, subjective. Remember that, in the 19th century, most men had long hair that would have been considered "sinful" by many Christians just fifty years later and, fifty years after that, would have been considered short by most Christians.

While it's true that some hairstyles are associated with rebellion, I seriously doubt your five year old wants a mohawk to protest against societal norms.

From what you've described, I don't see how you would be causing your parents to sin, but I would explain to your child, in age appropriate language, that how we present ourselves on the outside presents a message to the world about us. That's why we dress up when we go to church, because we have reverence for God, or why we dress for court or weddings, because we have respect for the sanctity of those institutions, or why we dress casually to go to a ball game, because that's about fun and recreation.

Personally, when I see a mohawk, my first thought isn't about punks or rebellion, but "Airborne!"

Even those in the military who wear some form of Mohawk do so out of rebellion and pride.

In America a Mohawk only sends a worldly message, never a Christian one.

• Members

A lot of US soldiers during WWII and Vietnam wore mohawk haircuts. So it isn't necessarily derived from the Punk rock movement.

The Mohawks and other Indians wore this hair style so they wouldn't get scalped by their enemies. The Indians were encouraged by Europeans to scalp. A Frenchman/Englishman would require it from them as proof that they killed their enemies. Good bounty was involved and even whites would do a lot of scalping of Indians.  

Other peoples throughout history have worn mohawks.

Today, it is most associated with the Punkers.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

mohawks arent a sin you are so narrow minded i am a girl and ive been begging my parents to let me get one what do you think they said no of course then i started to rebel cause i didnt get what i wanted which is my right

• Members

mohawks arent a sin you are so narrow minded i am a girl and ive been begging my parents to let me get one what do you think they said no of course then i started to rebel cause i didnt get what i wanted which is my right

Are you born again in Christ?

Do you know God says we are to honor our parents, which means even when we don't get our way?

Do you realize that God says the "rights" of a child are to obey God and their parents?

• Members

The only rights we have when it comes to our body and appearance are the rights that God gives us. The government may say we have certain rights, but if those "rights" infringe on the Christian character, then we are not to cling to, nor fight for, those "rights".

Paul instructed the women to have a modest appearance. There is nothing modest about a Mohawk on women....or on a man, for that matter.

Colossians 3:20 KJV
[20] Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Did you read the whole thread?

• Members

It is wonderful that you want to tell your son why you have the rules, OP! It bothers me sometimes when we Baptists have rules that we really cannot back up. There are a few standards my husband and I disagree on for that reason, but of course his rules are final. But they are difficult to explain to the kids. I would say that the Mohawk history would be a good explanation against it.

• Members

It is wonderful that you want to tell your son why you have the rules, OP! It bothers me sometimes when we Baptists have rules that we really cannot back up. There are a few standards my husband and I disagree on for that reason, but of course his rules are final. But they are difficult to explain to the kids. I would say that the Mohawk history would be a good explanation against it.

Amen! We should be able to explain why we have a rule or standard. If we can't explain such, that should give us pause and cause us to search out things on the matter.

• Members

Mt 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother:

1Sa 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Yet I don't believe these verses will do any good, rebellion is a sinful thing.