• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling an outgoing child.

• Moderators

My brother and I were both homeschooled. I was a pretty quiet kid, but that was just me and I've since outgrown it. My brother was extremely sociable, and spent a lot of time with friends (other homeschooled kids). He always wanted to go to school -- but frankly, I think that would have cramped his style! He got plenty of socialization just being homeschooled.

• 1 month later...

Actually, I think that you are helping your children. When one is outgoing and in a class room setting they tend to focus on the people around them, who they can talk to during class breaks, writing notes etc instead of the class work. When they are at home you have taken those distractions away from them so that they can learn and they can be outgoing when it is appropriate. As they get older and have more self control they will be able to move into a work situation with out many problems because of maturity. I think you are making a great decision.

• Members

I've seen a lot of posts on here about "shy" kids and most of them seem to be saying that being shy is a bad thing. I, on the other hand, think that being "shy" is sometimes misinterpreted. Often, people who are "shy" are actually being humble and wanting to be careful about their conversation. This is certainly not a bad thing. As long is the child isn't being rude (ignoring people and refusing to respond when spoken to), I say let them be shy. Just my :2cents

God Bless,

Futurehope

• Members
I've seen a lot of posts on here about "shy" kids and most of them seem to be saying that being shy is a bad thing. I, on the other hand, think that being "shy" is sometimes misinterpreted. Often, people who are "shy" are actually being humble and wanting to be careful about their conversation. This is certainly not a bad thing. As long is the child isn't being rude (ignoring people and refusing to respond when spoken to), I say let them be shy. Just my :2cents

God Bless,

Futurehope

Very good point!

When I was young I was shy, but today even though I'm no longer shy, I tend to be rather quiet around people I'm not familiar with...until I get to know them. That's sometimes misinterpreted as me being shy.

Our youngest son is very similar in this way. He's not shy, but when he's around new people he much quieter and more deliberate in his speech and actions which others often take to be shyness.