• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question - Are Baptists Protestants?

Guest Guest

• Members

That is a general statement and like all general statements, is not true in all cases. I know of several baptists who attend their local Anglican church as it is the only one in the area which teaches there is one, & only one way for a man to be saved, its thanks to God's mercy, by grace though faith in Jesus, not of self, not of works, its a free gift. The Baptists don't. One man I know who does attend his local Anglican church, was a former Baptist church Planter in the main red light area of London. When he retired,he had no pension but that supplied by the state and was offered a home by a friend. The only church preaching salvation by grace though faith in Jesus, not of self, not of works, its a free gift. is the local Anglican church. He said recently that he is not a member of the church because he is not an Anglican.

Our preacher last Sunday, said that he had a son who was the minister of an Evangelical Anglian church. I said "I cannot understand how any evangelical can be in the Anglian Church." He replied, "Nor can I." He then said his son doesn't wear his collar back to front, doesn't use the prayerbook, doesn't baptise babies, but only believers, and the bishop doesn't like it. There was a church in a village nearby which had a dwindling congregation and was down to about seven attending. The bishop asked if he would help build it up. When he said he would, the bishop gave him a man to lead it, but he said either they used their own man or they would pull out. The bishop didn't like it but had to agree. They built up the congregation from 7 to 70 in a fairly short time.

Yes, I know they claim its by grace though faith, yet that is not what they really mean. they add to that, with baptizing & church membership, and I know your not a friend of us Baptist.

• Members

At the same time the book was disturbing when reading of the many false applications of Scripture and false views of what gets one to heaven.

What exactly are the false applications and views, John? What does he actually say verbatim? Other than his comment about Catholics and Orthodox?

Any man who stands against trials and tribulation even if he is off on his doctrine can be used to build up the faith of a believer. It has for me. I don't understand how you can't see this. Even Jesus would give him credit here. You seem to be only focused on the man's alleged false teachings yet when it comes to his suffering for the kingdom you glance over it as historical information about communism. That's pretty harsh in my estimate. Again, at the end of the journey what determines our place within the kingdom of God as co-heirs is our suffering with Christ. Not how straight we were in our doctrine. Some of the churches that John wrote to were screwed up in doctrine and allowed wickedness within their churches yet the Lord still found a place to give them praise. You need to be a little more balance in this matter. Heck, even I find a place to give credit to John Calvin who heresies have done far worse damage than Richard Wurmbrand. Plus, Richard never had anyone burnt at the stake.

• Members

Yes, I know they claim its by grace though faith, yet that is not what they really mean. they add to that, with baptizing & church membership, and I know your not a friend of us Baptist.

It was the Anglicans who were the main reason the Pilgrims left England. Also, a study of early Baptist history here in America will tell you how bad the Baptists were treated by the Anglicans and Puritans (non-conformists within the Church of England) here in America. This is what led to the separation of church and state here in America.

That being said you can still find good stuff from Anglicans also. They were Anglicans who translated the KJV. There's George Whitefield.

The bible says that every man will receive praise from the Lord at the judgement seat of Christ (I Cor. 4:5). If our Lord Jesus Christ himself can find some good then I'm sure we can also. We need to show more grace and balance in these matters.

• Members

Actually, I am a baptist.

• Members

The bible says that every man will receive praise from the Lord at the judgement seat of Christ (I Cor. 4:5). If our Lord Jesus Christ himself can find some good then I'm sure we can also. We need to show more grace and balance in these matters.

With all due respect, the 'judgement seat of Christ' is in Romans and II Corinthians, where it is bema, the judgement for rewards only, and does not pertain to the unsaved. A study of this section of I Corinthians 4 will shaow that it is speaking of our judging things now, until the Lord returns.

• Members

This brings back the old argument.

Weren't the governments of Paul's time evil when Paul wrote those verses in Romans 13?

Yes, and the only thing Christians are told to refuse to obey are orders that go directly against the Word. Also, we see that Christians are to live in peace, not rebellion against governments of all kinds, not fighting the system, rather letting Christ live in them and allowing the working of God and His Spirit to bring about change.

Paul, even while declaring his innocence, stated that if he had broken any of the laws he would gladly submit to punishment.

Christians are called to let the light of Christ shine forth in their lives, to spread the Gospel, make disciples, care for the needy and allow the Holy Ghost to work through them in this to bring about God's will. We notice the early Christians did this and their enemies stated they were turning the world upside down! How were they radically changing the world they lived in? It wasn't by rebellion, fighting the government, getting into positions of power, or any other worldly means. The early Christians radically changed their world by obeying Christ in how they lived. We should do the same.

• Members

What exactly are the false applications and views, John? What does he actually say verbatim? Other than his comment about Catholics and Orthodox?

Any man who stands against trials and tribulation even if he is off on his doctrine can be used to build up the faith of a believer. It has for me. I don't understand how you can't see this. Even Jesus would give him credit here. You seem to be only focused on the man's alleged false teachings yet when it comes to his suffering for the kingdom you glance over it as historical information about communism. That's pretty harsh in my estimate. Again, at the end of the journey what determines our place within the kingdom of God as co-heirs is our suffering with Christ. Not how straight we were in our doctrine. Some of the churches that John wrote to were screwed up in doctrine and allowed wickedness within their churches yet the Lord still found a place to give them praise. You need to be a little more balance in this matter. Heck, even I find a place to give credit to John Calvin who heresies have done far worse damage than Richard Wurmbrand. Plus, Richard never had anyone burnt at the stake.

Read the book.

The man never gave any biblical salvation testimony; he only gave a vague saying of having a conversion experience. He never articulated the biblical means of salvation. Instead, he gave people the false view that confession to him or a priest and partaking of the "holy sacraments" would get one to heaven. When an athiest was dying and called out that he loved God, he claimed that meant he went to heaven. He accepted the Orthodox, Catholics and others who are not born again in Christ but claim their right standing with God based upon their works and church traditions, to be his brothers in Christ.

The issue with his false teaching is far secondary to his not holding to a biblical view of salvation either for himself or others.

• Members

Mt 7:21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The amount of suffering is not the key, the key is being saved, no matter how much a person suffers in the name of Jesus, if they are not saved, they will hear those dreaded words, "I never knew you," that is the problem with most protestant churches as well as the RCC. Your propagating the same teachings they do, now I understand why your teachings are so out of line & unbiblical. Your beliefs & teachings will lead people into a false hope.

• Members

It was the Anglicans who were the main reason the Pilgrims left England. Also, a study of early Baptist history here in America will tell you how bad the Baptists were treated by the Anglicans and Puritans (non-conformists within the Church of England) here in America. This is what led to the separation of church and state here in America.

That being said you can still find good stuff from Anglicans also. They were Anglicans who translated the KJV. There's George Whitefield.

You can find good stuff in most all religions, but that does not make up for the false teaching doctrine that most protestant churches & the RCC teaches about being saved. the 1st thing is to be saved without being saved a person has not hope, a person has not the Holy Spirit, & they can do many wonderful works & still go to Hell. And without being saved, & the holy spirit dwelling in a person, they cannot discern God's Word.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The natural man is living under his own power, not the power of God.

2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Its impossible to please & follow God living as the natural man, but when one has been saved, been born again, they're created into a new man, given a job to do for our Lord.

Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

So sad, many are struggling to live & please God while living in the old man, living without the Holy Spirit, living without the power of God, having a false hope of Heaven. Its sad in a way, for their efforts are not worthwhile, for it will not get them in the narrow gate that leads to Heaven. They think they're storing treasures in Heaven, yet all they are putting up is worldly treasures.

There is 2, two, judgment seats, those that stand before the 'great white throne,' they will not receive a bit of praise from the 'Great Judge,' No not any, all of them, every single one of them, will be cast into the lake of fire which is the 2nd death & forever be punished for ignoring, refusing, the Lord Jesus.

The Bible does not say that every man will receive praise from the Lord, only those that are saved, only those that will stand before the judgement seat of Christ, commonly known as the "Bema Judgment Seat," will receive any praise. And even many of the saved will only be saved as by fire, losing every reward, not receiving a single reward, of course those that receive rewards, crowns, knows there is only One that deserves any glory, praise, that being the Christ the Savior, & they will cast their crowns at His feet because they know they do not really deserve such a honor.

• Members

Yes, and the only thing Christians are told to refuse to obey are orders that go directly against the Word. Also, we see that Christians are to live in peace, not rebellion against governments of all kinds, not fighting the system, rather letting Christ live in them and allowing the working of God and His Spirit to bring about change.

Paul, even while declaring his innocence, stated that if he had broken any of the laws he would gladly submit to punishment.

Christians are called to let the light of Christ shine forth in their lives, to spread the Gospel, make disciples, care for the needy and allow the Holy Ghost to work through them in this to bring about God's will. We notice the early Christians did this and their enemies stated they were turning the world upside down! How were they radically changing the world they lived in? It wasn't by rebellion, fighting the government, getting into positions of power, or any other worldly means. The early Christians radically changed their world by obeying Christ in how they lived. We should do the same.

I think for the most part, many Christians during presidential election years cry just as long & loud as the unbelievers &false teachers when we actually should be content with such things we have as Paul stated to us. I firmly believe that many of us Christians lose our Christian testimony because of this.

Php 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

• Members

I think for the most part, many Christians during presidential election years cry just as long & loud as the unbelievers &false teachers when we actually should be content with such things we have as Paul stated to us. I firmly believe that many of us Christians lose our Christian testimony because of this.

Php 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Agreed. Some people only hear Christians carrying on about how terrible everything is, talk about politics and the economy. All too often that's all the lost hear from Christians. They don't hear about hope in Christ, they don't hear the Gospel, they don't hear the testimony of how Christ is leading them through these difficult times or how Christ has led them through tough times in the past, they don't hear of the blessed hope of Christ's return.

• Administrators

Well, back to the topic....

Are Baptists protestants? No, as has already been said.

This is a really good site to get Baptist history info. In fact, this link takes you to a good article on fundamentalism.
http://www.21tnt.com/

Of course, it isn't Bible, but it's biblical.

• Members
3. Laying on of hands (ordination)

I read that the early English Baptists praticed practised 'Laying on of hands, at baptism but later dropped the practise practice.

Edited for spelling praticed practised and practise practice. Edited by Invicta

• Members

Here say, gossip, but you can never tell what individual churches might or might not do. There are churches with the name Baptist on them that believes baptizing saves a person, & without it they can't event Heaven.

That's why the name Baptist doesn't mean what it once did and one has to explain it. There are hundreds of Baptist churches across this country alone. Those Baptist churches range from traditional IFB to Reformed Baptist to any variety of liberal and out there Baptists.

The two biggest, most popular Baptist church in this area have both gone soft. Both dropped the KJB, one has a woman associate pastor, both dropped standards of dress, one uses virtually any form of CCM while the other uses only the milder forms, both are more world-friendly.

There are also some Charismatic Baptists and a small Baptist church of elderly folks who want their church to die with them.

The IFB churches in this area have took a turn to the Left with all but one having dropped the KJB and the one that still uses the KJB also refers to MVs now. Several of the IFB churches are using CCM, some are yoking with all the other local churches for "community service and outreach", standards of dress have dropped in all but one, the preaching has become more "friendly", the women are now more outspoken and taking over positions the men should hold.

For some reason, most often the first thing someone says when I say I'm Baptist is something about the SBC. No, I'm not Southern Baptist and no I don't agree with everything the SBC says or does.