• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor Anderson beaten at Border

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Ok, some of you may remember Pastor Anderson on OB in the past. I'll post my opinion later.

Actual footage here----> http://eyesontheusa.com/anderson.html

[tube]YUzd7G875Hc[/tube]

I don't remember Pastor Anderson. I wasn't here when he was a member of OB. How many conflicting stories are in the news about this? There seem to be many floating around. I am VERY interested in your opinion, BroMatt.

God bless,

Molly

• Members

Unless anderson was doing something the officer could perceive as a threat when the window was broken it seems excessive to taze him, but the officer looked like he was planning to shoot as soon as the glass was broken regardless. That said anderson is nothing if not an abrasive personality and I imagine when they encounter a abrasive personality who refuses to answer simple questions it generally means that person has something to hide. I don't know if the police crossed the legal line or not but if they did I am sure he will see to it that they are held accountable.

• Members

Watched some of the footage....I do not fully understand the border patrols and etc but it sure seems he could have just complied and been on his way. He chose to remain in his car and act like he had something to hide...seems like it made the cops mad, and they overreacted. However the longer he waited in the car, the more sure the cops probably were that he was hiding something.

From what I can tell there was nobody in his car that he had to protect, and nothing of value he had to protect, so really he was just being kinda stupid actually. All he had to do is get out of the car, let them search, and be on his way.

Not saying the law/search is right...but on the other hand, if you choose to go against a police officer, you can't complain about the consequences.

• Members

A lot of blanks need filled in on this one. Videos do not tell the whole story but rather give a perspective. Im sure things will be sorted out. I just dont understand why he didnt comply. Most states have a compliance law, that you are to comply with orders of police even if you think they are wrong. Had he done so and been in the right, his case would be rock solid.

• Members

I have a saying that I always say at the jail, "The best way to handle authority is to submit", it gets them working for you instead of against you most of the time.

I agree with those who asked why he didn't simply comply in the first place, and be on his way. Sometimes we are too "rights" minded, although I am for rights. Too often we take a strong stand long before it is necessary, and thereby create a problem that could have been avoided. (I have dial up, and did not see the video however.)

By the way, I like Bro. Matt's avatar--1611 KJB! :amen:

• Members

I've not yet been able to watch the video but from the comments here it seems he was doing nothing wrong and the agents were asking him to do something he didn't have to do.

It's amazing to me just how far this country has fallen. Even when I was a child, to question the word, honesty and integrity of a man was the worst of insults and they would not put up with such. The concept in our legal system of presumed innocent and being free from unreasonable searches and seizures was a serious matter.

My Dad is one of the few remaining men I know who still hold to these high standards. Last year when my oldest son ran away the police woke my Dad from sleep at eleven at night, 14 hours after we reported our son missing, when he answered the door several cops told him they were going to search his house to make sure our son wasn't hiding there. My Dad told them they were not. One officer tried to step past my Dad at the door and my Dad cut him off and told him they were not coming into his home. My Dad had been home most of the day, he keeps his house locked, and when he told the cops no one else was there and couldn't be there he knew what he was saying and wasn't about to allow anyone to question his word. Dad wasnt' hiding anything, he was standing upon the fact that his word was all that was needed.

There are many areas where police/agents have no legal or moral right to force themselves upon others. When people give in to such demands they are in fact handing them de facto rights to do such and, as history clearly shows, these de facto rights become the norm.

• Members

But the thing is, John, we have to choose our battles wisely. If someone was trying to force their way into my home, and possibly take my kids...well yeah, I'd stand up for that. If my kids were in the car, yeah that might be different.

He was by himself, with a trunkload of tools. I don't understand why that was a battle worth fighting. With homeland security, these types of checkpoints and stuff will probably slowly become more common...and we have to decide what's worth going to jail over, ya know? I don't think his situation was worth getting beat up and going to jail. He should have just submitted this time. Some people just have to say their piece, and have their way, and make their point...and in doing so, I can't help but allow them (mentally) to also deal with whatever fate they bring upon themselves.

I do think the police overreacted....on the other hand, they deal with resistors all the time. For all they knew, he could have been smuggling an Illegal in his trunk or something. Happens all the time I'm sure! If you have nothing to hide, why hide it?

• Members

This exact situation happens to nonwhite persons who don't own video cameras every day. However,if the dog did alert officers to his car (by the way, he has no right to demand that they "show him the dog") then the officers were perfectly within their right to forcibly remove him from the car. If he at anytime so much as gave even the impression that he had weapon (I'm thinking when he bent over to cover his eyes), then they were perfectly within their rights to taze him. His biggest mistake was thinking he knew how to define the 4th Amendment. That's for lawyers and judges to do, not lay people.

The lesson to be learned: obey authority and call a lawyer to protect your rights. He may be able to plead out, or even be found not guilty, but I would be shocked if the officers were found guilty of any wrong doing. Due to the dangerous nature of police duty and service, they are afforded extended power to protect themselves and our society.

If he would have just let them search the vehicle nothing would have happened. I know that when I come up on a DUI checkpoint, I gladly blow into the breathalyzer because 1) I have nothing to hide and 2) I respect the badge and appreciate what they are doing. It sounds like Pastor Anderson may have some predisposition to resisting authority. If his rights were in fact violated and he was wronged in anyway, I wish him the best of luck in clearing his name (he does now have a police record) and obtaining justice.

• Members
If he would have just let them search the vehicle nothing would have happened. I know that when I come up on a DUI checkpoint, I gladly blow into the breathalyzer because 1) I have nothing to hide and 2) I respect the badge and appreciate what they are doing. It sounds like Pastor Anderson may have some predisposition to resisting authority. If his rights were in fact violated and he was wronged in anyway, I wish him the best of luck in clearing his name (he does now have a police record) and obtaining justice.

:amen:

• Members
But the thing is, John, we have to choose our battles wisely. If someone was trying to force their way into my home, and possibly take my kids...well yeah, I'd stand up for that. If my kids were in the car, yeah that might be different.

He was by himself, with a trunkload of tools. I don't understand why that was a battle worth fighting. With homeland security, these types of checkpoints and stuff will probably slowly become more common...and we have to decide what's worth going to jail over, ya know? I don't think his situation was worth getting beat up and going to jail. He should have just submitted this time. Some people just have to say their piece, and have their way, and make their point...and in doing so, I can't help but allow them (mentally) to also deal with whatever fate they bring upon themselves.

I do think the police overreacted....on the other hand, they deal with resistors all the time. For all they knew, he could have been smuggling an Illegal in his trunk or something. Happens all the time I'm sure! If you have nothing to hide, why hide it?

Like I said, I've not yet been able to watch the video so my response was in general terms, not to this case specifically.

What I was mainly speaking to is how America has gone so far in becoming a police state and how most folks willingly bow to this and allow it even in cases where the police are clearly in the wrong. What previous generations would have never stood for, most alive today willingly go along with and expect everyone else to go along with it as well, often to the point of speaking against those who stand firm against such wrongful treatment.

Again, to be clear, I'm not speaking to this particular episode with Pastor Anderson as I've not seen the video, just speaking in general terms regarding the condition of our country and the vast change in how people are today.

• Members

I do not believe in, nor agree with police brutality, but I do look at the other side also. What if they did not search a car when the operator would not cooperate with them, and some terrorists got through and killed a lot of people, maybe some of our loved ones? We would be appalled, and asking "How could this happen? Where was homeland security?" wouldn't we?

The best thing to do is put up with it, and thank the Lord that they are trying to protect us! I know, someone will say "That's easy for you to say, it hasn't happened to you", but there was no harm done until he resisted, apparently (by the sounds of it). Sometimes our pride gets in the way too, and we think "He isn't going to get away with this with me, as if its ok with someone else, but not us! They really don't realize how great we are! They don't know that I am an honest man, even if I tell them so, can you believe it! Me, being implicated for something I didn't do (even though they don't know the things I got away with!!)

Oh well, enough said in my part.

• Members

Don't forget that those who prefer security over freedom will have neither.

Does anyone remember that America supposedly fought against Nazism and communism in part because they took freedom from their own people and treated them like criminals? Remember how America once stood firmly against the concept of "papers, please"?

Here we have America evolving into a full-fledged police state with millions cheering this on. Eventually this will bite those who now support such but by then it will be too late to do anything about it.