• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's Your Temp Today?

JerryNumbers

• Moderators

We had 6" of snow and the church had a hooky bobbin' (the 'g' is silent) day. Coffee and hot cocoa for those that wanted it and plenty of hooky bobbin' available. Hooky bobbin' is where you put a truck in an empty field with a rope attached. You hold on to the rope while on a boogie board, snow board, trash can lid or something similar. the truck then pulls you around the field while doing donuts and sliding around erratically and you attempt to stay on your board.

Alternatively, you can pull a pickup truck bed liner behind the vehicle with several people on board playing a version of "King of the Mountain" during such antics.

We had a blast, couldn't use the extra 2.5 acres the church owns because you can't hooky bob in city limits, we used a pasture 3 miles out of town instead. I should have had someone take pictures (only 2 people not involved in riding, both over 70 -- all the ones 65 - 8 were hooky bobin')

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was a bit warmer today.  10C this morning and 12C this afternoon.  I don't think we had any rain today, either.  

We have had one of the wettest years on record,  One farmer interviewed on TV today, said he had lost most of his potato crop last year and the recent rain has destroyed hid winter crops.  He said he has over 850 acres under water.

• Members
I don't look forward to my heating bill during this cold spell. Hoped we would get above 50 today, so far its 48Âş with a cloud cover.

We have natural gas/forced air furnace and are on a budget plan where we pay the same amount each month.

• Members
We have natural gas/forced air furnace and are on a budget plan where we pay the same amount each month.

Yes, I know about that plan, but I like the cheap bills in the time of season that I don't use very much.

I'm totally electric, & I love it. I don't want any gas in my house, & if I was to build another one, which I never will, it would be total electric.

In years gone by I have compare my electric bill to those who have natural gas heat, & mine is always cheaper. Its quite surprising to them to find out my electric bill is quite a bit cheaper than they electric & natural gas bills added together.

Plus I have one less bill to pay each month, plus its cleaner, plus a heating system like this last much longer than one that burns gas, plus I lose no heat through a vent pipe from my house heater nor hot water heater that sends heat outside. Yes, I like my heat pump. Of course I don't know if it would be economical up north. Here the temp can get quite a bit below 32º & the heat pump can still keep my house warm without the electric heat strips kicking in. Usually they don't kick in till it gets down to about 25 or so.

Oh, forgot, 39 & dropping.

• Members

We were all electric whence lived back in Joplin, and electric bills were tolerable. However the heat pump we had ran nearly constant in the coldest months and couldn't get above 72. Our home there was just under 1000 sq ft. In the warmest parts of summer the A/C would run for hours and now get below 76. Had to use the A/C due to my allergies.

As far forth as we are now, if we were all electric I suspect our bills would be enormous. We have almost 1400 sq ft in the house we just recently moved into. We also have a gas fireplace in the living room which works quite well.

Our first year back up north we were in a condo the size of our Joplin house and had gas heat and the bills were not bad at all. We have yet to go above our monthly budgeted gas bill, but we haven't hit the real cold yet and we've only been here since early October.

Going down to 18 tonight, near 30 tomorrow.

• Members

Mine is 1704 square foot.

Sounds like that house in Joplin did not have a good unit or something was wrong with it, it could have been low on Freon . And if the unit had a problem, not operating properly, or even if it was the wrong size, the electric bill would be much higher than if it was working properly or properly sized. And it may not have been insulated properly.

We don't have no problem heating or cooling our house with a 3 ton unit. Our house was built in 1972, about 3 years back we installed double pained windows, got rid of the original single pained aluminum windows..

One thing, when you go from a gas heated house to a house with a heat pump it take a while to get use to it. At one time we had what is called electric heat, when we put in the heat pump it cut our heating bill in half.

We replace our outside unit last winter, compressor went out, it was 18 years old, & just replacing the outside unit cut our electric bill. And our electric bill had been running cheaper than it was 10 years ago.

Temp is steady, still 39Âş.

• Members
Mine is 1704 square foot.

Sounds like that house in Joplin did not have a good unit or something was wrong with it, it could have been low on Freon . And if the unit had a problem, not operating properly, or even if it was the wrong size, the electric bill would be much higher than if it was working properly or properly sized. And it may not have been insulated properly.

We don't have no problem heating or cooling our house with a 3 ton unit. Our house was built in 1972, about 3 years back we installed double pained windows, got rid of the original single pained aluminum windows..

One thing, when you go from a gas heated house to a house with a heat pump it take a while to get use to it. At one time we had what is called electric heat, when we put in the heat pump it cut our heating bill in half.

We replace our outside unit last winter, compressor went out, it was 18 years old, & just replacing the outside unit cut our electric bill. And our electric bill had been running cheaper than it was 10 years ago.

Temp is steady, still 39Âş.

24 outside now, heading toward 30 later today.

As for the Joplin house, was probably a combination of both issues. The house was new in 2006 when we bought it, but it was built by an independent (small) builder. As we lived there we found many short cuts. The A/C was supposedly new as well, but was the lowest efficiency of its kind according to the yellow sticker on it. Was supposed to be 1.5 or 2 ton. Our attic had blown in insulation, but I wonder if it could have had more. The venting of the air and heat was in the ceiling. Also had our doubts (over time) about just how well the walls were insulated too. We had plans to do some updates, but then the tornado came. We fixed the house and sold it just as we finished the repairs.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Last week was around 45-50 degrees F., later this week expecting 35-50 degrees F. ------ 5am this morning getting ready to leave the house was 8 below zero (F.) with a windchill of 28 below!!!

Could be worse: Yakutsk, Sakha, Russia was 53 below zero (F) yesterday --- at NOON!!

• Moderators

We had 6" of snow and the church had a hooky bobbin' (the 'g' is silent) day. Coffee and hot cocoa for those that wanted it and plenty of hooky bobbin' available. Hooky bobbin' is where you put a truck in an empty field with a rope attached. You hold on to the rope while on a boogie board, snow board, trash can lid or something similar. the truck then pulls you around the field while doing donuts and sliding around erratically and you attempt to stay on your board.

Alternatively, you can pull a pickup truck bed liner behind the vehicle with several people on board playing a version of "King of the Mountain" during such antics.

We had a blast, couldn't use the extra 2.5 acres the church owns because you can't hooky bob in city limits, we used a pasture 3 miles out of town instead. I should have had someone take pictures (only 2 people not involved in riding, both over 70 -- all the ones 65 - 8 were hooky bobin')

That sounds like an awful lot of fun! Wouldn't work with the amount of snow in our field right now. Hmm... wonder whether I could get the pastor's kids to get out their snowmobile...? :)

Archived