• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who Is Your Favorite Pastor Among John Piper, John Macarthur, Max Lucado, Joshua Harris, Aiden Tozer, And Charles Spurgeon. Why?

• Members

Are the "wolves in sheep's clothing" the Jim Bakkers, Benny Hinns, and MIke Murdocks of the world? Just how well does a wolf disguise himself in the sheep's skin? Do his feet stick out? Or would he look just like a real sheep? How much light does an angel of light give out? He can tote a King James Bible and even teach many of it's truths. We better get out eyes off man, quit trusting men, get in the Word and look to Jesus.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

• Members

Well, I respect your sides, sirs.

But Papa knows my heart. If it is a sin to feel very very much close to God, enough to be too ambitious, then I am glad that
I am atoned for it by the Lord's blood.

Isaiah 29
13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Matthew 15
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mark 7
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

I may honour Him in so much as to call Him in all majesty and all royalty, ALMIGHTY GOD, ELOHIM, LORD OF LORDS, THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL, but if that will not make me love Him more and make me more holy unto GOD, what's the use?

Sorry.

Just the idea of not able to call Him Papa makes me cry.

I won't stop calling Him that, anyway. :) :)

Jesus understands me.

Also....

Matthew 23:
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

I don't know what this verse specifically means, but I believe it just emphasizes that God is the only Father.

I was abandoned by my biological dad ever since the fallopian tube and never get to call anyone daddy.

It wasn't until when I met Jesus that He have purposed such things in my life that by the time I get to met Him, the hunger and deepest yearning for a father will be quenched by Him.

Even John got to rest in Jesus' chest for a while. He is God, JOhn was not worthy to do such, he is also a sinner.
He was resting on Jesus' chest! He was that near to Him!

Lets admit that even if we know that we don't deserve anything, we are still hungry for that kind of intimacy with Papa.

• Members

But Papa knows my heart.

The Lord knows all of our hearts! Remember Jeremiah 17:9?

Be careful young lady, I know a lot of liberals who say the Lord knows their heart, they use this term to cover for their rebellion, not being scripturally baptized, dressing and wearing their hair like men, pastoring churches, not going to church, etc.

• Members

But Papa knows my heart. If it is a sin to feel very very much close to God, enough to be too ambitious, then I am glad that
I am atoned for it by the Lord's blood.

Isaiah 29
13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Matthew 15
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mark 7
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

I may honour Him in so much as to call Him in all majesty and all royalty, ALMIGHTY GOD, ELOHIM, LORD OF LORDS, THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL, but if that will not make me love Him more and make me more holy unto GOD, what's the use?

Sorry.

Just the idea of not able to call Him Papa makes me cry.

I won't stop calling Him that, anyway. :) :)

Jesus understands me.

Also....

Matthew 23:
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

I don't know what this verse specifically means, but I believe it just emphasizes that God is the only Father.

I was abandoned by my biological dad ever since the fallopian tube and never get to call anyone daddy.

It wasn't until when I met Jesus that He have purposed such things in my life that by the time I get to met Him, the hunger and deepest yearning for a father will be quenched by Him.

Even John got to rest in Jesus' chest for a while. He is God, JOhn was not worthy to do such, he is also a sinner.
He was resting on Jesus' chest! He was that near to Him!

Lets admit that even if we know that we don't deserve anything, we are still hungry for that kind of intimacy with Papa.

I believe if you respected our side of this issue you would not keep on posting about this, & leave it. I've made it quite plain why I dislike it, I will be polite & leave it there. Why keep on? Are you trying to do, convince us, or yourself?

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Irishman is correct. I wish that I could remember MacArthurs's exact statement, but it was basically something along this line...

It's n

ot

Jesus' blood that atones; it's his death.

When MacArthur was asked to explain his position since the Bible makes it clear that it's the blood that atones, he said something along this line...

When I read about Jesus' blood being shed, I realize it's speaking about his death...

In my opinion, that's heretical.

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/blood.htm

• Members

John MacArthur did not believe in the atoning blood. That is documented online by a statement he wrote himself. That's enough to toss him out. The others, well flip a coin, you get what you seek after.

I would go with Spurgeon, he is considered a Calvinist, but sees both sides, which is a rare thing among believers. He says that both arguments are true.

​http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/blood.htm

• Members

Albert52, thank you for mentioning that John MacAruthur was a disbeliever in the atoning blood of Christ. As he downplays the issue and uses subtle wording it takes a mature saint to recognize his heresy.

Somewhat after I got saved I read,'The Pursuit of God,' by  Aiden Tozer, (A.W. Tozer). The book had a profound affect on my spiritual developement. So, at this time I would select A.W.Tozer.

I would like to encourage all of you to read, 'The Pursuit of God,' or, another book Tozer authored, 'The Knowledge of the Holy.' Some of the used Christian book stores may have copies for resale. He wrote several other books that probably help us all develop our spiritual life. 

• Members

I don't know if I could call any of them my favorites. Piper is a 7 point Calvinist who thinks Rick Warren has good theology. He is also weak on his conviction of believers baptism. MacArthur has some good theology but is also a Calvinist who allows CCM music in his church and also yokes with people that he should not. Spurgeon was pretty good and even though a Calvinist he did things to get on other Calvinists nerves. David Cloud on the other hand would be one of my favorites.

Thank you for mentioning David Cloud.  An IFB preacher mentioned him to me a long, long time ago.  I forgot about him lol.  Now I can watch his videos.  

• Members

MacArthur is one to be greatly wary of.

He has many teachings which are simply not biblical.

And he looks way to much like Chevy Chase to be trusted...........

​Wow, I'll have to look for that Chevy Chase look. I knew a guy who looked like Chevy Chase and he was crooked and deceitful and shady as anything.

Off hand, I can't even recall what MacArthur looks like. Is it senior or junior that looks like Chevy Chase?