• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who Is Your Favorite Pastor Among John Piper, John Macarthur, Max Lucado, Joshua Harris, Aiden Tozer, And Charles Spurgeon. Why?

• Members

So is it wrong if I read some of their works?... Well his book (Max Lucado) fearless taught me a lot about trusting GOD. And MacArthur'sTHE TRUTH WAR taught me about the wrong teachings like something about the Nicolatians... etc.

Oh and about Joyce Meyer I really don't agree that women can preach and lead the church. Even if I am a woman. Jesus, wants men to lead and I follow that. And also that's why GOD created men first... and then women the next! :)

Once you know that it's wrong, turn away from it. The doctrine of separation was given to us by Christ to protect His sheep from the machinations of the world. Turning away from it also means to not recommend it to anyone else, or sell it on ebay, throw it away or use it to keep warm on a cold night.

• Members

I recall the story of the saloon owner that got saved. I can’t remember the story perfectly, but it went something like this. He was taking all the liquor out in the street, pouring it out. One Christians stopped him, saying, “Why pour it out, sell it, & you can put the money to good use.”

The newly saved saloon owner stated, “I could never do that, that would be like selling out my Savior.”

Anyway, who wants to profit from sin? Surely not a child of God.

• Members

I recall the story of the saloon owner that got saved. I can’t remember the story perfectly, but it went something like this. He was taking all the liquor out in the street, pouring it out. One Christians stopped him, saying, “Why pour it out, sell it, & you can put the money to good use.”

The newly saved saloon owner stated, “I could never do that, that would be like selling out my Savior.”

I stupidly did that once. My wife and I were never "drinkers" but over the years we had amassed a collection of booze that we didn't drink. Once the Lord showed us it was sin and we accepted that truth, I foolishly gave it all to a friend of ours. I immediately wrote an apology and said friend went ballistic and was very upset with me for saying that drinking alcohol is a sin while rejecting all of the 70 passages of Scripture I sent along with the letter. Now, during those 3 years awash in the error of the emergent church, I have a large amount of books from all manner of heretics waiting for a cold winter night to kindle the fires with! Won't make that mistake again!

• Members

That's one of the signs a person is truly born again in Christ, they are new creatures in Christ and their lives and actions will show this.

One thing I enjoy when reading about Billy Sunday is how many saloon keepers, prostitutes and the like were born again in Christ and immediately their lives were changed. They closed down their saloons and brothels and no longer walked in these sins. They didn't keep living in these sinful things until they could find another job, or until they made enough money to do something else, their repentance was genuine, they were truly born again, they were new creatures in Christ and their lives immediately reflected this.

• Members

And now days many professing Christians, even Baptist, will go into the drinking selling business trying to make money. It seems most feel the life they live is completely different & separate to what is taught in church. That is a job pays good money, no matter what it is, its right for the professing Christian.

• Members

Well, Piper is calvinist yes, but his sermons may be hard to understand or maybe it's just me. But his books are okay. I have not read all of them though. Max Lucado is very dangerous. Very. I mean, they may mean well, but false teachers not only deceive others, they are deceived themselves. He is in the same road with RIck Warren and Bill Hybels with the emergent church idea...

John McCarthur has some books that I think are biblical, but yes, since he does not believe that the blood saves us, we may have to be on our guard with this one. It is written that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Why?

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

So, if he refuses to believe that, he refuses to believe the Bible.

Joshua Harris is like a psychologist, Hehehe. But I have his book I kissed dating goodbye. I have not read it though..

Tozer is good. At least his 'Attributes of God' books are biblical.

Spurgeon' sermons are okay. Not very much attuned to listening to him anyways.

Matt chandler is also a calvinist, but his sermons are good. So far I have not found any unbiblical interpretations.

I listen to Paul Washer too. I don't think he is heretic like people claim that he is. I even think I share the gospel similar to how he does.. Start with depravity. ending with the glorious hope in Christ.

I have two books of Jerry Bridges, are they good?

:) Grace to all.

• Members

By the way... Seems like everyone is all against calvinistic principles.. I tried to check what a calvinist really stand firm for and I quite think I agree to it 80%... I do not believe in free will. :) I mean, it is hard to believe, but yes. Jeremiah 10:23-24
So there's the total depravity and Unconditional Grace/ atonement

But, as with the limited atonement, that is where I do not agree. Christ died for the sins of the WORLD. Not just the believers.
That is where the parable comes in! Matthew 13:44 In order to get the people He chose for Himself, which is the ''treasure''
He bought the entire field!

For the arminians belittle the sovereignty of God..

What about calvinism do you think are unbiblical?

Thanks..

• Moderators

The problem with Calvinism is that the idea of limited atonement spreads through the rest of the doctrines. For example, Calvinism would say that because atonement is limited (i.e.:God only died for the elect), therefore His grace, when extended is irresistible. It would claim Perseverance of the Saints (which is not the same as Eternal Security) because since man couldn't pick to get saved, he certainly can't pick to get unsaved! "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." Because of this overlapping of doctrine, I really don't think people can be 'partial' Calvinists. You either are or you ain't. :)

You're right, the doctrine of limited atonement is false. And such a blasphemy to our Lord who died for the sins of the world! (John 3:16) Take a look at the second half of that verse. What does it say? "that whosoever believeth in Him..." Whosover! Not some predetermined elect! Rev. 22:17 says "whosoever will, let him take of the water of life freely.'" There's that whosoever again! But what comes after it? Whosoever will. That Will there refers to the choice man has to accept or reject Christ. Luke 13 speaks of Christ mourning over Jerusalem, saying that He would gladly have gathered her children together to Him, but they would not! That will to accept or reject is free will. Jeremiah 10:23-24 is referring to the fact that man does not have the wisdom to choose and direct his own way - and choose it right! He needs the Lord's leading and guidance. It is not referring to salvation.

Because man has a free will, therefore Calvinism falls apart. Man is depraved, yes, but he is not so Totally Depraved (as Calvinism would teach) that he cannot even choose Christ when God calls him. Unconditional Election is the idea that, based on Christ supposedly only dying for the sins of the elect, God has pre-picked the elect. There is no unconditional grace in Calvinism! UE is again Biblically false - if God picked some for hell, then why does He say that He "is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance"? (2 Pet. 3:9) It would be very double-minded of God for Him to say that He doesn't want any to perish, but then to personally choose - to create! - men for that very purpose! Frankly, a god that created men only to destroy them would be a horrible god. Our God is not such. Ezekiel 33:11 tells us that He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but desires them to turn from their wicked ways and live. He is calling them to turn! Where is this Unconditional Election here? Limited atonement, as you've already pointed out, is a direct contradiction of Christ's once-for-all atonement. Irresistible Grace cannot exist while man resists God. Ezekiel 33:11/2 Peter 3:9 again - we see here clearly that God clearly wants all to come to salvation - well, if man could not resist God's grace, why aren't they all saved? And the final point, Perseverance of the Saints, we see to be a corruption based on the other false TULIP doctrines. Once saved, always saved, yes - but not once saved because God picked us to go to heaven and we had no say in it and therefore always saved because we can't have a say against it.

Calvinism is an insidious doctrine that oh-so-subtly twists the pure Word of God. We have a nearby church that is being infiltrated by it, and it does seem from our observation of the church and various friends within it that no one ever learns Calvinism from the Bible! It has to be taught by hearing men and reading man's books. That's why it's so dangerous to listen to men like Paul Washer or John Piper - you might plan on chewing the meat and spitting out the bones, but are you sure you can always tell what the bones are? The Bible tells us to "mark them which cause divisions contrary to the faith (i.e. false doctrine) and avoid them". We are to separate ourselves from learning or reading their false doctrine lest it rub off on us!

BTW, one does not have to be either Calvinist or Armenian. Both are unbiblical. My pastor likes to say he's a Biblicist! ;)

Edited by salyan

• Members

Calvin did some good things in his time but even he, like most of the theologians during his day, still had a lot of Catholicism in their blood. The RCC ruled the landscape for 1000 years until this time. You don't just snap out of it over night. It takes time to rediscover the doctrines of the bible. Calvin desired to build a church/state just like a papist would want to do. Luther considered himself Catholic until they day he died even though he got bounced from the RCC. It's time to move on from men like Calvin, Luther, Zwingli, Melanchthon, Knox, etc. to men whom God revealed more of his scripture too. I truly believe a lay person of today who loves God, lives and holy life and believes that God's word (KJV) is pure can know more of the "deep things of God" (I Cor. 2:10) then the fathers of the Reformation.

Psalm 119

[99] I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
[100] I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

Edited by Wilchbla