• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Teenage Girl Posts Picture Of Cash On Facebook, Family Robbed Within Hours

• Members

What amazes me is...when I still had a Facebook account...how many people would post things like...

"Spending the whole day tomorrow at such-n-such place"

"Going on vacation tomorrow for a whole week"

People just invite whoever to "come to our house, because we won't be there, and you can rob us blind"...

• Members

Lots of naive people, would think they would be smarter than that, but on Facebook they get carried away.

I've had a Facebook account for a long time, I suppose I joined it right after it come on the net. In the past year I have hardly touched it. Been thinking seriously about deleting it.

For a while it seemed much better than MySpace, but it may be just as bad. And since their latest updated they have tried to take the control of what posted on your pages, & you can't not join other groups without giving up control.

A few moths ago some classmates invited me to join a group for those that graduated from our high school. In order to join I have to give control of my wall to Facebook, I refused, & they refused to let me join the group.

• Members

This may border on Conspiracy Theory...but I think Facebook is much more than just a "Social Network"... :scratchchin:

By the way...even though I've deleted my account, it's not truly deleted. All you have to do (after deleting your account) is log in again as normal, and everything is there...just like you'd never left.

I know, because I tried it. :tapping:

• Members

You can delete your face book account, the trick is to NOT log in for 30 days. Try it, it worked for me. When you delete the account the small print says that if you log in before 30 days are over it will be reactivated.

• Members

You can delete your face book account, the trick is to NOT log in for 30 days. Try it, it worked for me. When you delete the account the small print says that if you log in before 30 days are over it will be reactivated.

Hmmm...okay, I didn't see that. Seems like I waited over 30 days, but I could be wrong. I'll try it again in a couple of months...just to be sure! :nuts:

• Members

I created a Facebook acount using a nom de plume several years ago as a method of keeping in touch with my son in the Navy. My site had no information on it and I didn't use my real name. Surprisingly I had no friends on it either. :scratchchin:

I did check out various family members and old acquaintances and was surprised to find what they are willing to divulge on a public forum. One of my cousins has his whole life history on there. Parents and sibling names, where he grew up, went to school, various commands in the service, where he has worked since, etc. The only thing lacking is the actual SSN and checking account numbers.

I can see the possible good such things can be used for, but I really long for the days when we did not have all of the technological gizmos. You know, back when relationships were personal, not electronic. A slower time, when friendships were worth more than the time they took to maintain.

• Members

I created a Facebook acount using a nom de plume several years ago as a method of keeping in touch with my son in the Navy. My site had no information on it and I didn't use my real name. Surprisingly I had no friends on it either. :scratchchin:

I did check out various family members and old acquaintances and was surprised to find what they are willing to divulge on a public forum. One of my cousins has his whole life history on there. Parents and sibling names, where he grew up, went to school, various commands in the service, where he has worked since, etc. The only thing lacking is the actual SSN and checking account numbers.

I can see the possible good such things can be used for, but I really long for the days when we did not have all of the technological gizmos. You know, back when relationships were personal, not electronic. A slower time, when friendships were worth more than the time they took to maintain.

Yes, with my little bit of information a person that got extremely mad at me come up with my Social Security Number. He sent it to me in a PM. All it takes is your name, state & city you were born in, & birthday.

I forget the cut off date, but up to a certain date, 70's are later,can't remember, certain numbers were used in certain states, with them handed out in order, the 1st 5 numbers are quite easy, yet they can come up with the last 4 too, if they're good at it, & or pay someone to do it.

About deleting your account, I recall reading an article in PCWorld newsletter that I receive, that even when you delete your Facebook account, certain portions of it will stay for ever. They look after their advantage very well I'm sure.

• Members
Why Google+ Can Still Beat Facebook

Privacy:

"For instance, Facebook makes your name, gender, profile picture, networks, friends, “Likes,” wall posts, photos, and profile details public by default, which makes those facts about you searchable.

Previously, you used to be able to set the public-by-default profile picture to private. You no longer can--nor can you change the setting for your name, your cover photos, your networks, your gender, and your Facebook username and user ID."

Facebook has steadily designated more user data as public information because its advertising partners can use the public stuff to target ads on the Facebook site. This data will very likely serve to target Facebook ads on other sites in the near future. And if you don’t want to make these data points public, Facebook says (in effect) that you can’t use Facebook.

Data Portability
"It’s very hard to delete your Facebook data if you decide to quit the service. You can delete your profile, but Facebook makes no promises that it will delete the personal data about you that it already stores on its servers.

Google makes it relatively easy to permanently delete the data you’ve banked at Google+, and walk away. You accomplish this through a Google+ tool called Google Takeout; with just a few clicks, you can download data from your Picasa Web Albums, Google profile, Google+ stream, Buzz, and contacts."

• Members

I seen a friend post picture of her daughters money she got for her Birthday and she said she wasn't too afraid people didn't know where she lived, you never know.
I have a few facebook because its better that way but, I want to say I am starting to be careful what I say online on facebook.