• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

David Cloud Sword Of The Lord Article

• Members

That's true Jerry. There are many TV preachers who respond to peoples questions by telling them which one of their books to buy.

If an article is put forth free, and someone has a question pertaining to the article, it would seem reasonable to provide an answer to the question rather than telling them to buy a certain book they have written.

Right on John. Selling the Gospel, instead of handing it out freely.

I will say this, Baptist pastor's seem to be the worse at selling the Gospel, & church of Christ pastor's seems best at sending the Gospel out free of charge. You can find this out easily by watching each one of them on TV. Most Baptist, at the end will tell you how to buy material, & the coC usually says, send us your name & address & we sill send you information absolutely free of charge.

Many of the radio, TV pastors, even churches, has learned all about marketing the Gospel & how much they can gain from doing so.

• Members

Right on John. Selling the Gospel, instead of handing it out freely.

I will say this, Baptist pastor's seem to be the worse at selling the Gospel, & church of Christ pastor's seems best at sending the Gospel out free of charge. You can find this out easily by watching each one of them on TV. Most Baptist, at the end will tell you how to buy material, & the coC usually says, send us your name & address & we sill send you information absolutely free of charge.

Many of the radio, TV pastors, even churches, has learned all about marketing the Gospel & how much they can gain from doing so.

Herbert W. Armstrong brought many into his false church by giving away his magazine and books free. Meanwhile, pastors that had the truth were offering it for sale.

The Mormons have long given out free material for the asking and this has aided them in their growth.

Our church gives away free CDs of each sermon for the asking yet there are many churches which will charge 20 dollars or more for such. That's outrageous considering how many blank CDs one can buy cheaply and then have them copied right there at the church.

• Members

I don't understand why so many of you want to throw sound preachers under the bus. If he was teaching something wrong, then deal with that. So-called Christian bookstores sell Books, Bibles, study materials, music, etc. - but yet if a solid IFB preacher does, something has to be wrong with him? Have you ever bought a Bible, a music CD, a hymnal, any Bible study materials? Yet, don't have a problem doing that - but in this context, the guy must be in it for the money?

You're right - none of us know his heart, yet you don't seem to have a problem judging his heart/motives in this case (ie. assuming they are wrong). Judge his fruit. It's certainly better than 99% of everything else there in Christendom, including probably material in your own home or library. The Bible never tells us to judge someone by his personality or style - but by his fruit (which includes doctrine, deeds, sins, etc.).

• Members

I wish more churches had sound Christian bookstores. Out here, we have, like, ONE tiny hole-in-the-wall Christian bookstore (that plays Christian rock). Then there are a couple of Catholic stores. That's it. Thankfully this is the age of online ordering. A church could have a wonderful ministry of getting GOOD books available to their people. Of course books aren't free and need to be paid for. The church could just be making sure good, sound material is available for purchase. Otherwise young Christians may not even know where to BEGIN looking online for music or books. I have fond memories of the small bookstore the church I got saved in had. Somebody purchased me some Christian fiction in it, when I was a teenager, and I still have them today. (Well one original, one I had to replace when someone borrowed and did not return.) I don't know that I'd ever read Christian fiction before that time.

Unfortunately IFB's tend to LOOOOOVE to judge and criticize. Oh, this person isn't up to my standard here, and that person isn't up to my standard there. I don't believe in compromise, but I get sick of the negativity we have in the IFBers today. That's one of many reasons people are running away from IFBism....fast....and compromising into southern Baptists and nondenominational churches. They can't stand the negativity.

• Members

Jerry, I did not judge his heart, I stated I did not know, that I can't judge him, judge his motives. I will let Jesus do that, & when He does, I will agree with him 100%.

But, its a fact, many are in the business of selling the Gospel, even churches.

• Moderators

I wish more churches had sound Christian bookstores. Out here, we have, like, ONE tiny hole-in-the-wall Christian bookstore (that plays Christian rock). Then there are a couple of Catholic stores. That's it. Thankfully this is the age of online ordering. A church could have a wonderful ministry of getting GOOD books available to their people. Of course books aren't free and need to be paid for. The church could just be making sure good, sound material is available for purchase. Otherwise young Christians may not even know where to BEGIN looking online for music or books. I have fond memories of the small bookstore the church I got saved in had. Somebody purchased me some Christian fiction in it, when I was a teenager, and I still have them today. (Well one original, one I had to replace when someone borrowed and did not return.) I don't know that I'd ever read Christian fiction before that.

We have a bookshelf at our church that acts as a bookstore, with books and music offered at cost. It works well, but every time we get a new book we need at least 10 copies, or they sell out in five minutes!