• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

David Cloud Sword Of The Lord Article

I do not believe in easy believism or lack of repentance either. However if a pastor goes to the Sword Conference and preaches the CORRECT view of repentance or salvation...why would that be a bad thing? I think that is what the problem is here...if a man chooses to preach at the Sword Conference yet still maintains his integrity and his standards and his separation, then...????? Is it right that Cloud is discouraging churches from having this man in their pulpit?

I guess when it comes down to it, some here believe in secondary separation, and some do not. I have to say I don't necessarily believe in secondary separation. I do, if its extreme (for instance a pastor who were to preach in a Mormon church would be heretical and in that case, secondary separation is necessary) but I don't if its not extreme (for instance, if a pastor preaches in a church where the music is a little more contemporary than in that pastor's own church). In the first case, there is an obvious problem. In the second case, as long as the pastor himself and his own church is right, I don't see why its anybody's concern if he decides to preach in a church that may have a different music standard within the IFB circle (i.e. within reason...i.e. not talking rock concerts, here.). And I don't see a need to separate from the good pastor over that sort of thing.

The second example is, I feel, similar to what has happened in this particular article by David Cloud.

I would say if a pastor spoke at a conference (fellowship, etc.) to present an error to that conference then that would be between the speaker and the Lord. If he spoke on Biblical salvation verses easy believism or spoke out against CCM at the conference why would anyone castigate him? Why would that individual pastor's faithfulness, separation, or personal walk be called into question? However, if he cheerfully accepted a speaking role and told everyone things are wonderful when gross misdirection (away from Biblical teaching) were going on, then; he is complicit in error and needs rebuke. Where will the pastor of a successful IFB church receive rebuke when he begins to go astray?

• Administrators

So, if David Cloud is gossiping because of mentioning names, what's going on this thread? Just sayin...

(please know that I'm not saying this shouldn't be discussed; but what's been said about David Cloud in this thread is of the same nature of the things he has said and been dissed as gossiping for)

• Members

So, if David Cloud is gossiping because of mentioning names, what's going on this thread? Just sayin...

(please know that I'm not saying this shouldn't be discussed; but what's been said about David Cloud in this thread is of the same nature of the things he has said and been dissed as gossiping for)

I guess because this thread isn't being sent out to thousands of pastors' inboxes with names mentioned of pastors that they are supposed to "beware" of....

But...reprimand duly accepted.

• Administrators

Oh, believe me, I truly understand - and I wasn't meaning to reprimand, just to point out the irony of things. I haven't read the article, so I can't comment on it, although I do know who your hubby's former pastor is...and enjoy his preaching very much.

I guess because this thread isn't being sent out to thousands of pastors' inboxes with names mentioned of pastors that they are supposed to "beware" of....

But...reprimand duly accepted.

• Members

Let's take this to the higher question which I posed earlier.

Is this "Ministry of Warning" Biblical?

Give a Biblical basis for this ministry if you think that men, other than your personal pastor, should be involved in this type of activity.

I personally do not believe it is Biblical, but before I post the Scripture that supports this I would like to see what others have to say.

• Members

Let's take this to the higher question which I posed earlier.

Is this "Ministry of Warning" Biblical?

Give a Biblical basis for this ministry if you think that men, other than your personal pastor, should be involved in this type of activity.

I personally do not believe it is Biblical, but before I post the Scripture that supports this I would like to see what others have to say.

Anxious to see your Scripture. My gut says that your own pastor should be involved (Paul did a lot of warning, but he himself planted or helped plant most of the churches he wrote to, therefore he counted as a pastor).

I can't see how emailing thousands of pastors and "warning" about other pastors that you personally disagree with can be quite what God had in mind.

• Members

I agree that the pastor should be responsible for "warning the flock", but unfortunately, many pastors have failed...and continue to fail...on purpose, because they don't want to offend anyone, and they don't want to alienate themselves.

Like I said earlier, I don't agree with everything David Cloud says, but I don't think it's necessarily un-biblical for him to do what he's doing...

This comes to mind...

Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

The command is to "brethren"...not just to pastors.

Also, in 1 and 2 Timothy, Paul named the names of false teachers and others who forsook Paul (thereby forsaking correct doctrine) several times (1 Timothy 1:20, 2 Timothy 1:15, 2:17, 3:8, 4:10, and 4:14).

Paul was the church planter, but he wasn't the Pastor of the church when he gave these "warnings"...Timothy was the pastor.

Pastorj and Kitagirl, please know that I'm not trying to argue about this...just stating things as I see them.

Like I said...I don't even agree with myself a lot of the time! :icon_confused:

• Members

I agree that the pastor should be responsible for "warning the flock", but unfortunately, many pastors have failed...and continue to fail...on purpose, because they don't want to offend anyone, and they don't want to alienate themselves.

Like I said earlier, I don't agree with everything David Cloud says, but I don't think it's necessarily un-biblical for him to do what he's doing...

This comes to mind...

Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

The command is to "brethren"...not just to pastors.

Also, in 1 and 2 Timothy, Paul named the names of false teachers and others who forsook Paul (thereby forsaking correct doctrine) several times (1 Timothy 1:20, 2 Timothy 1:15, 2:17, 3:8, 4:10, and 4:14).

Paul was the church planter, but he wasn't the Pastor of the church when he gave these "warnings"...Timothy was the pastor.

Pastorj and Kitagirl, please know that I'm not trying to argue about this...just stating things as I see them.

Like I said...I don't even agree with myself a lot of the time! :icon_confused:

Its okay! I totally understand where you're coming from.

I guess my point is that in my humble opinion, in this case, he was not warning the flock against something that needed warned against. You know? I think sometimes that extra-strict line should be drawn by your local pastor.

I don't feel like its fair to the pastor I'm referring to for somebody to send his name to zillions of inboxes saying he's compromising just because he spoke at a Sword Conference. I feel that is extreme, and I feel it is not the type of "warning" we need.

Now, say a popular Bible college is compromising on the Word of God or having rock concerts....its true, pastors will need to know that so they can make educated decisions on where to send their students. But to call out pastors of local churches based on where they preach out? Ehh. There's no reason I need to pass judgement on other people's pastors for something like that.

• Members

Its okay! I totally understand where you're coming from.

I guess my point is that in my humble opinion, in this case, he was not warning the flock against something that needed warned against. You know? I think sometimes that extra-strict line should be drawn by your local pastor.

I don't feel like its fair to the pastor I'm referring to for somebody to send his name to zillions of inboxes saying he's compromising just because he spoke at a Sword Conference. I feel that is extreme, and I feel it is not the type of "warning" we need.

Now, say a popular Bible college is compromising on the Word of God or having rock concerts....its true, pastors will need to know that so they can make educated decisions on where to send their students. But to call out pastors of local churches based on where they preach out? Ehh. There's no reason I need to pass judgement on other people's pastors for something like that.

I see your side too.

We need more pastors with a back-bone...who aren't afraid to "call 'em out"!

But I do appreciate a lot of what David Cloud has to say...trust me...in my area, I would never have known about hardly any of the compromise, bad doctrine, etc...that goes on in the church today. People in my area just don't care...and neither do the pastors.

• Members

I see your side too.

We need more pastors with a back-bone...who aren't afraid to "call 'em out"!

But I do appreciate a lot of what David Cloud has to say...trust me...in my area, I would never have known about hardly any of the compromise, bad doctrine, etc...that goes on in the church today. People in my area just don't care...and neither do the pastors.

Me too!

And I feel there's many out there feels the same.

I can see Suzy's side to, for me I know none of those he warns about, so I'm not personally connected. That is I may have heard of them, read a book of theirs, or sermons in the Sword of the Lord, but that's it.

• Members

Anxious to see your Scripture.

PRIVATE REPROOF VS. PUBLIC

JUNE 5, 2012

(David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org)

The following is excerpted from the new book The Two Jacks: Hyles and Schaap, which is available in print for purchase or as a free eBook from the Way of Life web site -- www.wayoflife.org.

The very fact that there are still many preachers today who believe a public warning about influential independent Baptist leaders is wrong is evidence that the spirit and error of Jack Hylesism is alive and well.

It is time for this heresy to be buried.

They say, “Who do you think you are to speak against such men?”

I can’t answer for others, but my personal answer to that is, “I don’t think I’m anybody at all. I’m just a frail and simple man God saved and called to preach, but I have His authority to speak and so does every other God-called preacher.”

God solemnly charges the preacher to identify false teachers, to exhort, reprove, and rebuke with all authority, to speak as the oracles of God, to earnestly contend for the faith, and even to warn about born-again compromisers (Romans 16:17; 2 Timothy 4:2; Titus 2:15; 1 Peter 4:11; Jude 3; 2 Thess. 3:6; 2 Tim. 4:10). Nowhere in Scripture are these commandments restricted in their scope. Nowhere does God say that a Bible preacher can reprove and rebuke only the members of his own church or that he can reprove and rebuke anyone who errs except an influential Christian leader.

To reprove public sin and error publicly by the Word of God under the guidance of the Spirit of God and in His wisdom is not slander and is not gossip and is not “throwing rocks” and is not “shooting the wounded” and is not hateful and is not dishonoring to Christ.

Private offenses and private sins need to be dealt with privately, but public errors need to be dealt with publicly. When a man builds an ecclesiastical empire, of sorts, and influences thousands of people beyond the borders of his congregation, his errors are no longer private matters and they are no longer matters pertaining only to his church.

When a man admits and repents of a sin or error, that is one thing and is dealt with in a certain way. But when an influential man covers up sins and errors and lies about them and even goes on the attack against those who try to expose them, that is another matter altogether and is to be dealt with in entirely a different way.

We must be very careful about what we say about men of God. We must be careful not to spread unsubstantiated rumors. We must be careful not to give heed to vindictive, disgruntled, backslidden people who are trying to injure the work of God. We must be very wise in what we say and in how we say it. We must make sure that we are speaking the truth, and we must test our hearts before God to make sure we are speaking the truth in the right spirit and for the right reason.

We don’t publicly reprove every pastor who errs or call out every church that compromises. Contrary to the silly and slanderous accusation that some have made against us, we don’t consider ourselves the “policeman of the IFB movement.”

The reality is that some men’s influence is much greater than others. Some men’s ministries effect only their own congregation, whereas some men’s affect tens of thousands.

When the sin of hypocrisy and the compromise of the principles of equality under the gospel was spreading in the early churches, the apostle Paul singled out Peter to rebuke before them all, for the simple reason that he was the most influential personality in that mess.

“But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I SAID UNTO PETER BEFORE THEM ALL, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified” (Galatians 2:11-16).

We must be wise in speaking, but speak we must when the situation merits it. Let us fear God more than man.

“The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe” (Proverbs 29:25).

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen” (1 John 5:21).

One can hide in the crowd in this life and take his “stand” with the weak-kneed majority, but no one can hide at the judgment seat of Christ.

• Administrators

Suzy, this isn't the first time someone well-known has publicly criticized the pastor you're referencing due to his speaking at SOTL conferences and the like. I remember more than once when he's preached at our church that he's mentioned being criticized for it. He's always laughed and made a statement to the effect that he will preach wherever God leads him to. And he does!

• Members

I can't see how emailing thousands of pastors and "warning" about other pastors that you personally disagree with can be quite what God had in mind.

Unless I am mistaken you have to sign up to get those e-mails. Since that is the case the only people that get the "warnings" are those who have at least some interest in what cloud has to say at least some of the time. It is just a person giving his opinion and you may or may not agree with him on any particular issue. How many people do or do not value his opinion or listen to him has nothing to do with anything strictly speaking. I get the impression your biggest problem with it is that cloud has a fairly wide audience and therefore you seem to think he should be more careful about expressing his opinions. To me though these kind of things are just his opinions which people can take or leave as they see fit.

• Members

Unless I am mistaken you have to sign up to get those e-mails. Since that is the case the only people that get the "warnings" are those who have at least some interest in what cloud has to say at least some of the time. It is just a person giving his opinion and you may or may not agree with him on any particular issue. How many people do or do not value his opinion or listen to him has nothing to do with anything strictly speaking. I get the impression your biggest problem with it is that cloud has a fairly wide audience and therefore you seem to think he should be more careful about expressing his opinions. To me though these kind of things are just his opinions which people can take or leave as they see fit.

I think, actually, my main thing is that there are a LOT of people who will follow exactly what Cloud says without actually knowing the people whereof he is speaking. So, say, Pastor Joe Smith (or whatever) out in Tennessee (Names out of a hat) may think about having Pastor X in his pulpit. But then Pastor Smith reads an article by Cloud that Pastor X spoke at a Sword conference and is a compromiser. Now Pastor Smith may decide NOT to have Pastor X in his pulpit simply because David Cloud said it was bad....NOT because he truly disagreed with Pastor X or felt he was unworthy to be in his pulpit.

Basically, I'm saying I personally know "Pastor X" and that he is above reproach in all things and hope people do not look badly on him because of this. However, I'm sure his good reputation precedes him and that this will not harm him in the long run. *Shrug*