• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mccain Calls Lack Of Us Aid To Syrian Rebels 'shameful'

• Members

I have spent a large part of my adult life criticizing the politicians who presumably hold power over us and ours, but this topic got me to thinking: "How often do I pray for these people?" When was the last time I prayed for John McCain? I can't remember when.

The Bible says:

1 Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

Off the top of my head I cannot think of one person in Washington that I personally trust, but how often do I pray for them? How often do you pray for them? Remember, this is not just a battle of GOP versus Democrat, Arab versus Jew, or even Christian versus Muslim. This battle goes far beyond that:

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

In Ezekiel 28 is not God really talking to Satan through the tool (King of Tyre) that Satan happens to be using at the time...or through the king of Babylon in Isaiah 14?

I wonder what would happen if every time a Christian thought of complaining about a politician they prayed for him/her instead. Can you imagine the noise level in heaven if all those complaints were turned to prayers?

Just a passing thought that this topic brought to mind.

Remember:

Romans 13:1-6 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

• Members

I have spent a large part of my adult life criticizing the politicians who presumably hold power over us and ours, but this topic got me to thinking: "How often do I pray for these people?" When was the last time I prayed for John McCain? I can't remember when.

The Bible says:

1 Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

Off the top of my head I cannot think of one person in Washington that I personally trust, but how often do I pray for them? How often do you pray for them? Remember, this is not just a battle of GOP versus Democrat, Arab versus Jew, or even Christian versus Muslim. This battle goes far beyond that:

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

In Ezekiel 28 is not God really talking to Satan through the tool (King of Tyre) that Satan happens to be using at the time...or through the king of Babylon in Isaiah 14?

I wonder what would happen if every time a Christian thought of complaining about a politician they prayed for him/her instead. Can you imagine the noise level in heaven if all those complaints were turned to prayers?

Remember:

Romans 13:1-6 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

I started a thread for the purpose of our praying together for America and her leadership but only one man has replied thus far.

• Members

The Bible says:

Remember:

I don't know about other churches, but we pray for our leaders, & our country, they stay on our pray list all of the time. I hope many other churches do as well.

• Members

I don't know about other churches, but we pray for our leaders, & our country, they stay on our pray list all of the time. I hope many other churches do as well.

I would think any good IFB church is going to have our country and its leaders (local, state and federal) on its prayer list, and that is as it should be. That is great for when the assembly gets together or for the more specific prayer groups that meet, but what about all the other time.

Can you honestly say you personally pray for our leaders more than you disparage them? I can't, and it is something I certainly need to work on.

As an aside, we need to remember that the politicians in office are merely a reflection of the current electorate. The people voting need our prayers as well because it has become rather obvious that there is a severe lack of righteous judgment in that quarter.

• Members

I would think any good IFB church is going to have our country and its leaders (local, state and federal) on its prayer list, and that is as it should be. That is great for when the assembly gets together or for the more specific prayer groups that meet, but what about all the other time.

Can you honestly say you personally pray for our leaders more than you disparage them? I can't, and it is something I certainly need to work on.

As an aside, we need to remember that the politicians in office are merely a reflection of the current electorate. The people voting need our prayers as well because it has become rather obvious that there is a severe lack of righteous judgment in that quarter.

That's why our pastor specifically asked that we set aside time each day to pray for the nation, leaders and upcoming election from now (when he made the statement) to election day. Of course the hope being that once we (whoever actually does this) establish the habit of praying like this for severa months that we will continue to do so.

No doubt we need to be praying for America, leaders at all levels and the upcoming elections every day as individuals, not only on Sunday morning as a part of the local church.

• Members

As I've already stated, we pray for our leaders.

As for politics, its a rotten crooked business, & its more about what is best for the person & party, not this nation.