• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saddest Verses In The Bible

• Members

First of all, I wanted to say hi. Been a couple of years since I dropped by. Hopefully some of you may remember me. No promises I will stay this time - I just wanted to see how things were going here first.

My topic has to do with passages/verses that are sad in the Bible - not passages that make you sad, but ones that seem so sad because of what certain characters have done.

For example:

Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

This verse states that her husband Adam was with her when her conversation with the devil was going on. Everytime I read that phrase, I wince spiritually. Was wondering what other passages/verses may have a similar effect on you as you read and meditate on them.

• Members

Welcome back Jerry. I hope all is well.

Revelation 6:15-16
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

I feel so sad for the people going through the tribulation, knowing from where the wrath comes and still unwilling to repent and come to Christ.

• Members

A friend of mine thought this was one of the saddest verses in th bible:

Judges 16:20 And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.

Not only thst the Lord had departed, but Samson didn't realise.

• Members

Thanks for the welcome back. Things are going better for me now, sorting some things out.

Another passage that comes to mind:

Luke 22:61-62 And the Lord turned and looked upon Peter... And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

The Lord was nearby when Peter denied Him, and Peter saw the Lord looking at him right after he denied Him. Praise the Lord that Peter's story (and the Lord's work in Peter) does not end there.

• Members

Thanks for the welcome back. Things are going better for me now, sorting some things out.

Another passage that comes to mind:

Luke 22:61-62 And the Lord turned and looked upon Peter... And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

The Lord was nearby when Peter denied Him, and Peter saw the Lord looking at him right after he denied Him. Praise the Lord that Peter's story (and the Lord's work in Peter) does not end there.

I thought of that one too. That is powerful!

• Members

Hi all,
For me the saddest words in the Bible are found in Matthew 7:22-23.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Talk about not having a clue. Someone mentioned Samson didn't realize the Lord had departed him, and I agree, how sad. But these people seem to go their whole life thinking they are doing the work of the Lord and don't find out until death. By that time it is too late. This isn't just one character, but the Bible states "many". These two verses really make me "wince spiritually" when I read them or ponder them. I actually have them written on a note card and taped inside my soul winner's Bible so I can look at them before I go out. They not only make me wince but motivate me. I think about people like Ghandi and maybe even Mother Theresa. I know she was catholic and did many good works in the name of the Lord, but, in her writings later in life, she questioned whether God even existed. I don't know her heart so I can't say just because she was Catholic she wasn't saved. But if she wasn't, how very very sad. It makes me want to tear up just thinking of the many so blinded by their religion that they don't truly know God and don't have His Holy Spirit endwelling in them that they will not find out until death. The saddest words, "I never knew you."

• Members

Luke 22 KJB
44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

45 And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow,

How many followers of Christ are sleeping today when they should be:

40 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.

To me there's so much saddness within those verses. Jesus knew in ways we can't begin to comprehend what was ahead of Him. Not only the pain His physical body would have to endure. Also the pain that I can't describe when He bore my sins along with everyone else who would believe in Him.

Yet, the few who were with Him went to sleep instead of following a simple request for what appears to be a relatively short period of time. I can't begin to imagine the depth of the sadness He must have felt when He woke them up.

Is He looking upon us today with sadness, too?

• Members

A friend of mine thought this was one of the saddest verses in th bible:

Judges 16:20 And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.

Not only thst the Lord had departed, but Samson didn't realise.

That is a very sad and very striking verse.

Some I can think of:

Matt 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

This is one of the saddest verses to me.

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

The other is similar...

John 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

• Members

Luke 8:35-37 Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. 36 They also which saw it told them by what means he that was possessed of the devils was healed. 37 Then the whole multitude of the country of the Gadarenes round about besought him to depart from them; for they were taken with great fear: and he went up into the ship, and returned back again.

Here's a man possessed by a legion of devils living in the tombs of this area. Crazy out of his mind and so out of control that even chains can't hold him. This man the people did not cast out, yet the man who healed him and made him sane (Jesus) is asked to leave because the people feared Him greatly.

Did you ever notice that as soon as people find out you are a Christian the majority get uncomfortable in your presence and usually want to get away from you as quickly as possible? Yet these same people can be all day around others that are drinking, smoking, swearing, telling bad jokes, etc. and not be phased in the least. They've accepted the devils in their midst and see no need to cast them out, but the man who can save them from these devils must leave.

How sad to be living in the country of the Gadarenes.