• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mark 14:32-39

• Members

Mr 14:32 ¶ And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray.
Mr 14:33 And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;
Mr 14:34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.
Mr 14:35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
Mr 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
Mr 14:37 And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?
Mr 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.
Mr 14:39 And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words.

When Jesus prayed these prayers what the meaning, what was He feeling?

• Members

Bro. Jerry, this is one of those passages that confounds many. I agree with Kleptes. The hour had come upon Jesus; in which, the sins of the world were about to be placed upon him.

Here was Jesus...the holy, almighty, perfect, righteous, and sinless God...about to be made an offering for sin, and to be made sin (2 Corinthians 5:21). He had lived throughout eternity past without sin, and he lived his human life without sin. However, he was about to become sin in order to provide salvation for sinners.

In my fallen mind, I can't imagine what all of that entailed to Jesus, but we know that he was exceeding sorrowful...he was actually grieving over it. He was grieving so much that had there been another way for God to reconcile man to himself, he was asking for it...if possible.

He didn't want to be separated from God, but he knew that having the sins of the world placed upon him would cause that separation from the Father, and that was what was causing him the sorrow and grief.

• Members

Bro. Jerry, this is one of those passages that confounds many. I agree with Kleptes. The hour had come upon Jesus; in which, the sins of the world were about to be placed upon him.

Here was Jesus...the holy, almighty, perfect, righteous, and sinless God...about to be made an offering for sin, and to be made sin (2 Corinthians 5:21). He had lived throughout eternity past without sin, and he lived his human life without sin. However, he was about to become sin in order to provide salvation for sinners.

In my fallen mind, I can't imagine what all of that entailed to Jesus, but we know that he was exceeding sorrowful...he was actually grieving over it. He was grieving so much that had there been another way for God to reconcile man to himself, he was asking for it...if possible.

He didn't want to be separated from God, but he knew that having the sins of the world placed upon him would cause that separation from the Father, and that was what was causing him the sorrow and grief.

Now I have to say that is a big truth, & what Kleptes & you stated is about what I've heard most people state.

• Members

He was grieving so much that had there been another way for God to reconcile man to himself, he was asking for it...if possible.

I need to clarify that statement.

"He was grieving so much that had there been another way for Jesus not to be separated from the Father, he was asking for it...if possible."

I don't believe that Jesus was asking to not go to the cross, for he is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

I can't imagine how a Holy God becomes adverse to His very being. We become "set in our ways" after a very short time on earth. Jesus Christ had eternity past, present, and future in His adversity to sin. The relationship between Father, Son, and Holy Spirit can't be fully understood by mortal man. We can understand our relationship to our own children but that too is limited to our short time on earth. I can't begin to answer this question.

Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

"By and by" I'll one day understand.

• Members

I think there's many parents that do not understand their children the least bit. I remember visiting an old man in the hospital, his wife was setting in the room. He was having heart troubles, pretty serious.

I knew this family quite well, his daughter at one time was married with two children, & they were in great church workers. He was a teacher, she played the piano. All of a sudden they divorced & the church days were forever gone.

At this time she was between her 3rd & 4th husband, her & her two boys now out of school, living like heathens. As I mentioned lets say a prayer to our Lord for help, tears rolled out of this old mans eyes. He brought up his daughter & two grandsons, he said they worried the wife & I to death, they want even listen to nothing about God or church, & living like infidels mentioning some of their sins, please pray for them.

He finally died, them shortly after his wife of many years passed on to. He had a pretty good chunk of money saved up. His daughter, & two grandsons blew all the money each of them buying their self brand new matching Corvettes.

I'm not sure, but I think this mother is now passed her 5th husband now.

Every now & again you will see the 3 matching Corvettes setting at a eating place. And if you happen to see them leaving they zoom off at a high speed like a bunch of teenage drivers. If you happen to see her she is generally dressed like a college type young woman wearing short short skirts or dresses.

No, we don't understand people, even our own kin, & there's many things about our God & our Savior we can't truly comprehend, but in the by & by we will understand it much better.

• Members

I agree, it was His spiritual sufferings Jesus struggled with: a holy God and Saviour becoming sin for His people, and separation from the Father whom He had never been separated from in all eternity. His flesh did not look forward to that! But praise the Lord that He endured the cross for us, despising its shame, and looked to the joy that was set beore Him - which included the knowledge that salvation's price would be fully paid, and He would be with those He saved for all eternity.

• Members

A very bad experience for our Savior, yet man will turn from God over a very minor experience, never darkening the door of one of His churches.

Perhaps because most of His churches are not His at all.