• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Such Cases As This

• Members
UPS driver accused of being 'Peeping Tom'

How do you feel about cases like this, where there is one person making the accusation? Here is another article, man is accused of rape, convicted, yet later the accusers admits that she lied.

A 10-year nightmare over rape conviction is over

When there's no evidence at all to back up the accuser, should there be a trial?

• Members

Standing firm, For sure & I'm posting Scriptures below..

John, True the Bible has the answers, but there's many different opinion on what the Bible actually says. The Bible seems always to call for more than one witness.

De 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
De 19:16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
De 19:17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
De 19:18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
De 19:19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.

• Members

Yes, the Bible always calls for more than one witness and the Bible does call for false witnesses to be punished by whatever punishment would have been given to the one they falsely accused.

This is one of the reasons I'm against people being arrested and tried based totally on circumstantial evidence, as well as against those with only one witness and nothing to support their charges.

• Members

I'm not sure... I think that if I were the one who was raped (or my daughter) that I would like to be able to go to trial, regardless if there were any witnesses. However, I do agree that there should be some type of evidence or something.

• Members

Sometimes, the one arrested for a crime is later proven to be innocent.

I watch a lot of real life crime shows like "The First 48" and such. I always have to chuckle at the end of the show because they always flash on the screen a statement that so and so is still awaiting trial and that he or she is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

If they're presumed innocent, why are they in jail without bond? I know it is for the public's protection in many cases, but isn't that saying they believe the person to be dangerous? IOW guilty? LOL

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

I'm not sure... I think that if I were the one who was raped (or my daughter) that I would like to be able to go to trial, regardless if there were any witnesses. However, I do agree that there should be some type of evidence or something.

I've always wondered what it would be like to be in a situation where something bad has happened, yet no one would believe me, & there was nothing to back up my statement, it was just my word. That would be tough, to be telling the truth, & no one would believe you. In the case of the UPS driver, that may be what it comes down to, & I have no idea who is telling the truth.

Of course many that are guilty of bad crimes will claim they're telling the truth, & are 100 % innocent, & according the the majority of prisoners, prisons are only full of innocent people.

Of course the young man in the article entitled, 'A 10-year nightmare over rape conviction is over,' he was playing with fire, & he got bite by playing with sin. So he was not completely innocent, not in the sight of God, only innocent by the laws of this country, yet he seemed to think that God should get him out of this trouble that his sins brought upon him.

Sad thing, in a court of law in our country, most people are declared guilty or innocent not by the evidence, but according to the juries take of the of the prosecutor, defense lawyer, & or by the way they perceive the accused, or witness. And or who has what this world calls the best lawyers, like in the OJ Simpsons trial.