• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Melody...actually, being open about it is a good thing! That way you won't be angry at a future husband for going either direction!

I understand my husband's position of wanting me to be extra modest. I don't always like it in certain situations, like work (or whatever activity it is unnatural to wear a skirt) but it is what it is. He is a man, and while I don't understand why a guy has to look at a girl's crotch in pants, I will have to take his word for it. He says in stores and stuff he sees guys all the time looking at girl's butts in their pants and shorts...so....(He doesn't do it, but he says he sees other guys doing it all the time and doesn't want me looked at like that. I assured him I'm not pretty enough or skinny enough to be looked at. HAHAHA)

• Members

My friend (who wears pants) told me she feels like women who have to wear dresses all the time are being punished for being a girl. Now, that is somewhat feministic thinking..... but I see where she is coming from.

I came to the conclusion that as long as my husband wants me to not wear pants...well, he has the right to ask me to cover my body like that.... and I am pleasing the Lord by doing as he asks and by being modest. God DOES ask us to be different and to be apart from the world...and I was convicted the other night about being "covetous" which in my case would be coveting to wear clothing that I cannot wear....so really, modesty is a good thing and pleases the Lord.

Wearing pants may be okay, but its much closer to the "line" and many people would prefer to be farther from the "line" with standards, rather than closer.
There is nothing wrong with complying with your husband's request for you to wear a dress or a modest blouse and skirt... nothing whatsoever.

However, if he is basing his request on Deuteronomy 22:5, he is dragging you into the Law. Paul instructs us not to do so in Galatians 3.

• Members

Still a bad argument.

My wife never wore pants when I was a Pastor, but it wasn't to prevent someone from stumbling. It was simply because I asked her not to. We set an example. I never wore shorts and a tshirt out in public.

My boss wears a tie every day, not because he has to. Certain positions require you to dress differently. So my wife and I dressed more conservative than most.

Okay then, its semantics.

We're being a good example, then. :-)

• Members

Melody - Stumbling has to do with sin - If it isn't a sin to wear pants, then you can't cause someone to stumble. We also can't be constantly concerned with every member of our church. Someone who has been saved for more than a year or two will never be a "weaker" brother.

• Members

There is nothing wrong with complying with your husband's request for you to wear a dress or a modest blouse and skirt... nothing whatsoever.

However, if he is basing his request on Deuteronomy 22:5, he is dragging you into the Law. Paul instructs us not to do so in Galatians 3.

Did you read the thread? I explained why he requests it. Deut 22:5 was never mentioned.

• Members

SFIC - Her husband bases it on the NT passage in 1 Timothy. You might want to read the other threads also.

I really don't want to rehash this whole thing, sorry, but I have done it 3-4 times with Kitagrl

• Members

Melody - Stumbling has to do with sin - If it isn't a sin to wear pants, then you can't cause someone to stumble. We also can't be constantly concerned with every member of our church. Someone who has been saved for more than a year or two will never be a "weaker" brother.

But didn't Paul say that if eating meat caused his brethren to stumble he wouldn't eat it, even though eating it wasn't a sin? I'm not quite understanding your argument

• Members

Not quite Semantics - Causing to stumble and being an example are quite a bit different.

Okay then, I misspoke in my first post....although in a way, I did not...because if by my starting to wear pants, it makes a church member feel my husband compromises, and thinks "Well if he will change his stance in this, he will change his stance in other things, so I don't have to do anything he says" then yes, that would cause someone to stumble.

• Members

Okay then, its semantics.

We're being a good example, then. :-)

I always heard that the people under you will most likely have a lower standard, so just set your standards high, so that when they are under you, they still wont be wrong.

• Members

SFIC - Her husband bases it on the NT passage in 1 Timothy. You might want to read the other threads also.

I really don't want to rehash this whole thing, sorry, but I have done it 3-4 times with Kitagrl

To be fair, we've had this discussion a few times and he actually bases it mostly on practical application...men look at girls' butts. He doesn't want men looking at mine.

Second reason is to be an example as a pastor's family and above reproach.

If I could nix either of those reasons, he would let me wear pants, but neither thing is nix-able. haha. Even if I cover my butt with a long blouse (thus, nixing #1) we still have #2. :-)

• Members

I always heard that the people under you will most likely have a lower standard, so just set your standards high, so that when they are under you, they still wont be wrong.

Exactly. Which is why we have some higher standards than maybe we have to, but we do it to be an example...not going to movies, not wearing pants, etc.

• Members

Irishman is a Ruckmanite

Pastor J
there you go again jumping to false conclusions. I have said openly and definitely that I do not agree with Ruckman elsewhere on this forum. Two people can believe the same thing about the Bible, if it is right, and yet disagree with one another in other respects. I am surprised that you do not seem to know that by now, being a "Pastor" and all. You made an assumption based on your own prejudices, but I forgive you.