• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

This reminds me of reading, and seeing a documentary, on how some women actresses in the 30s and 40s began wearing pants, pant suits and dressing like men as an act of rebellion against society as they showed their support for radical feminism. Many women who saw this decided to join them in their rebellion and support of radical feminism. This opened the doors wide for so much societal upheaval and eventually turmoil and compromise in the churches.

• Members

Nowhere in the Bible does it say "thy women shalt not weareth pants". It also doesn't say 'thou shalt not abort babies" but it does mention having something called "natural affection" and plenty of other things regarding the subject. Likewise, it specifically says NOT to wear the clothes of the opposite sex and it DOES NOT go into some qualitfying explanation about "God gave that commandment because some Egyptian queen wore man's clothes". Hogwash! God wants men to be men and women to be women.
When my little girl was born, I left the hospital, went straight to the department store and bought two little dresses. She's 25 now and wears nothing else, and I haven't heard her complain about it one single time.

.and when my two little boys were born, my Wife and I put them in pants,,,,and you know something strange? We never had to worry about either of them wanting to wear long hair, or ear rings or act like sissies. Culture should tell you, and even nature itself should tell you that God wants there to be distinction between the sexes. Not only that but He wants Christian women and men to be modest and decent in their dress. Most pants I ever saw on women were NOT decent.

• Members

Deuteronomy 22:5 needs to be examined closer, because some mistakenly think it is speaking of women putting on men's pants.

Far from it.

Look at the Hebrew words found in the verse.

The word pertaineth is the Hebrew word k@liy; (pronounced kel-ee). It means armor, apparatus in this particular verse. How do we know it means armor or apparatus? Because of the Hebrew word "geber", the word for 'man'. "geber" means "a valiant man, a warrior".

It is clear that Deuteronomy was forbidding women to put on armor or army apparatus to pass themselves off as fighting men.

And the geber (warrior) is not to dress like a woman in order to escape going to war.

The verse has nothing whatsoever to do with mens pants or women's pants of today. It is is not speaking about all men's attire on this Earth, nor is it speaking of all women's attire on this Earth. While it is speaking of the attire of the warrior, or valiant man of war, it is also speaking of the attire of the woman that has a feminine look to it.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Deuteronomy 22:5 needs to be examined closer, because some mistakenly think it is speaking of women putting on men's pants.

Far from it.

Look at the Hebrew words found in the verse.

The word pertaineth is the Hebrew word k@liy; (pronounced kel-ee). It means armor, apparatus in this particular verse. How do we know it means armor or apparatus? Because of the Hebrew word "geber", the word for 'man'. "geber" means "a valiant man, a warrior".

It is clear that Deuteronomy was forbidding women to put on armor or army apparatus to pass themselves off as fighting men.

And the geber (warrior) is not to dress like a woman in order to escape going to war.

The verse has nothing whatsoever to do with mens pants or women's pants of today.

Pentecostals, Apostolics and holiness groups answer NONE of the following questions: Who invented pants and when? Who was the first historically to wear pants, men or women? Who created the concept of pants as male and the dress as female attire? When in history did this concept arise and how? How were women's pants introduced into our culture? How did people in Biblical times dress? What differences were there between men's and women's clothing?

• Members

Linda, I hope that you aren't accused of changing God's word, as I was, when I posted the link to a similar article. An article that I simply wanted other believers to give their thoughts about the article content. I do hope that no one calls your introductory words "Hogwash" in their passion to make their own points.

When I returned to the church, after many, many, years absence, much of what I thought I knew has been changing. With the help of the Holy Spirit, many of my "opinions" have changed in the last two years. Much of this hasn't been easy, when a lifetime of "opinion" supported by many, comes face to face with biblical truth, as the Lord reveals it to me. Often, the start of this process, is when a question, such as this thread, comes to the front burner of my awareness (for lack of a better term). On evolution, it was my pastor's challenge to how I thought I'd reconciled the word of God with what I'd been taught for 50+ years. It wasn't easy to undo all that indroctination.

When I came into this thread, I didn't state an opinion, because I didn't have a one on which I face the Lord with a "I believe this is truth". Being a young adult in the 1960's, I heard the battle cry on both sides of this issue. Saw the division it caused within my own church that was along the same lines as fighting over red carpet and other such issues. When Jesus died on the cross for me, did it matter what rags I have on my body? If the illustrations are correct, the only thing He wore was a loincloth when He gave His life to give me eternal life.

It has always bothered me when people expressing their belief in His death and resurrection, use the Sunday of rememberance as a time to show off new clothes on their bodies. Back in my day that meant children has new "Easter outfits" and ladies sported fancy new hats. I'm not leaving out the men either, with their new ties, and sometimes new suits. Echos from the past ring out as I type. Conversations before and after services focused on new hats and new ties. People complimenting each other on the one hand, while whispering about those in the congregation who either couldn't afford new clothes or chose not to deck themselves out for the Easter parade.

When I received an invitation to the church we attend now, one of my first questions was about clothing. I knew I wouldn't go to any church that placed more emphasis on fabrics/styles/fashion than it did on the Lord. The neighbor who invited us said something along these lines. It makes no difference if you come to church wearing clean (farmers) overalls or a 3 piece suit. When we kneel in prayer the Lord is looking at what we are on the inside, not what's covering the outside.

When I came into this thread, I was looking for confirmation of that or a biblical reason why that isn't the case where pants are concerned. I'm talking about decent, modest, pants on both men and women. I'm well aware of the case against those who wear pants so tight people have to lay on a bed to zip them up. (As a woman once told me about how she had to put on the jeans she wore to work.) Nor, am I talking about cross dressers trying to emulate the opposite sex with all of their apparel, not a single article of clothing.

Well, folks, I have come to a conclusion. Thanks to all who have posted. Each of you in your own way, has helped to define my "opinion" in this matter. Believers in Christ should dress in a modest manner that doesn't put articles of clothing ahead of Him. A man in a kilt or a woman in the equivalent of carpenter's pants (loose fitting style of jeans with a hammer loop on the side) can kneel at the feet of Christ with the assurance that He knows what's in their hearts.

What isn't pleasing to God is when people fight over a single article of clothing much like they fight over the color of the carpet in a church isle. There are no pants stipulations for men or women attached to:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Members

While it's true God looks at our hearts, God also looks at our appearance and actions too. Our outward appearance should be a reflection of our hearts.

It's not so much that a particular article of clothing is or isn't good/bad, it's what they represent.

For instance, there are certain gang infested areas that if you walk into "their" neighborhood wearing the "wrong" color, you will be confronted and likely assaulted, or worse. In America we have the liberty to wear what color we want to but is it wise to excercise that liberty in an area where we know others will view our liberty as being an afront to them. Would it not be wise, for their sakes as well as our own, to avoid wearing the color that offends them?

I've heard a few people say the know of pants that are modest on women. I won't argue against what they say because I haven't seen what they are referring to. For myself, I have not yet seen any style of pants on a woman that was modest. Women's pants are made to show off the female form and if they are wearing men's pants (another problem for many) the female body doesn't fit in them the same as a man's.

We can't judge these matters by externals, such as what one church does or wears, how one church has gone overboard one way or another. We need to look at the whole of Scripture. Put all of what Scripture says that even touches on the topic and see what God's will is, not our will, not our preference, not our opinion, not what culture or society dictates, but what pleases God in the matter.

Scripture is clear men shouldn't dress like women and women shouldn't dress like men. There is to be a clear distinction between what men and women wear, it should be clear that men are wearing men's clothes and women are wearing women's clothes.

Scripture is also clear with regards to modesty. Our flesh should be well covered and it should be covered in a manner that doesn't draw attention to the form of the body.

Scripture clearly tells us we are to consider others as better than ourselves. We are indeed to consider our appearance with regards to how others will view us. Will our dress cause others to stumble or lust? Will our dress make others think we stand out from the crowd (in a God honouring way, or in a bad way)? Will our dress make others comfortable or uncomfortable in our presence?

There are other aspects of Scripture which apply as well, but this post is already getting long.

I've mentioned it before but will repeat for those who have not read it. I used to wear leather biker jackets because they are warm, comfortable and keep the wind out. However, most people seem to look at the style of jacket I wore as being a sign one is a rebel, an outlaw, a tough guy, and those sort of things. The Lord convicted me in this and I put that favorite jacket of mine away.

That leather jacket was a man's jacket, it was modest, it protected greatly from the weather, there was really nothing wrong with the jacket in and of itself, however the perception many would have when seeing me wearing that jacket was not good. What should come first, my liberty to wear the jacket or my concern for how my jacket impacted the thoughts of others? For the good name of the Lord, I hung that jacket up.

There are other clothes I used to wear that I wouldn't wear now either because I don't think they were modest enough or because they could send the wrong message (yes, our clothes send a message whether we actually mean them to or not). We need to consider the message our clothes send.

Whatever we wear, whether pants, dresses, coats, shirts, shoes or hats, we need to consider whether what we wear glorifies God or not. We are to do all things to the glory of God. Does what I'm wearing bring glory to God or does it bring reproach, shame, anger or something else?

• Members
I do hope that no one calls your introductory words "Hogwash" in their passion to make their own points.
How about "wresting the scriptures" and "adding to" the Word of God then? The Bible says nothing, in the verses you mentioned" about "worshipping a pagan god in men's clothes"(forgive me if I didn't quote you exactly), it simply says that it's an "abomination" to wear "that which pertaineth" to the opposite sex. How simple and plain can you get huh? But some feel the need to take the simple word of God and explain it away, to justify what they want to do.

An article that I simply wanted other believers to give their thoughts about the article content.
The article expressed the belief that keeping women in dresses was a form of "oppression".

Before you get mad, understand that clothing differs from culture to culture. Back in the time Deuteronomy was written, a man may indeed have worn a "skirt" or a robe, but whatever was worn was DISTINCT from that of the opposite sex. In AMERICA and other western countries, that "distinction" happens to have been "dresses" or "skirts" and "pants".Maybe our culture is changing? Maybe us men should start wearing skirts and dresses so we can have distinction again? If you want to wear a dress or your wife wants to wear her britches, knock yourself out, I wouldn't judge you. But I'm going to stand for what I believe, when it comes down to that.

• Members

It's really sad that such an issue can arise in THE CHURCH or any single church concerning something as paltry as a woman wearing pants. I would think we have far more important things to do and worry about. My wife is a nurse and wears pants. Pants made for woman. If I wore these pants I would be laughed at. The issue is not pants and should never have been pants. The actual issue here is authority and modesty. Authority that was and still is abused by "believing" men in ignorance and pride that make an issue out of pants and other silly "doctrinal" points of view without actually seeing the real picture and message that was taught.
If a woman wears woman's pants that are modest and her character is not one that undermines the authority of her husband and his role in God's church then let her wear pants and get past the idiocy and blindness of legalism that trapped the Pharisees and follow the character and nature of Christ.

• Members

The original Hebrew reveals that Deuteronomy 22:5 was speaking of a warrior's battle armor. It was not speaking of every man who ever walked upon the face of the Earth, (adam, enosh, ish, geber) It focuses on a particular type of man... a warrior.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV) The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth (k@liy) unto a man, (geber) neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Neither adam, enosh, nor ish is mentioned in Deuteronomy 22:5. But geber is The woman is not to put on the k@liy (armor, apparatus) of a warrior.

One cannot make Deuteronomy 22:5 to say all men without adding to God's Holy Word.

The warrior (geber) was not to put on the garments of a woman (ishshah). The woman (ishshah) was not to put on the armor (k@liy) of a warrior (geber)

Pants are not what was being addressed in Deuteronomy 22:5, it was specific attire of a warrior.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

It's really sad that such an issue can arise in THE CHURCH or any single church concerning something as paltry as a woman wearing pants. I would think we have far more important things to do and worry about. My wife is a nurse and wears pants. Pants made for woman. If I wore these pants I would be laughed at. The issue is not pants and should never have been pants. The actual issue here is authority and modesty. Authority that was and still is abused by "believing" men in ignorance and pride that make an issue out of pants and other silly "doctrinal" points of view without actually seeing the real picture and message that was taught.
If a woman wears woman's pants that are modest and her character is not one that undermines the authority of her husband and his role in God's church then let her wear pants and get past the idiocy and blindness of legalism that trapped the Pharisees and follow the character and nature of Christ.

That's my pet peeve, everything about the child of God's life is VERY important. An the actual issue is submitting unto God, that is, surrendering our WHOLE LIFE, not just bits & pieces, while purely trusting & obeying.

And thank you for pointing out our ignorance & pride, that's always very helpful & beneficial.

• Members

Did some one say we'er oppressing women because we believe the Bible when it say women are not to wear that which pertaineth to a man, that they'er to wear dresses, woman's clothing?

Seems that's always brought up, no one, that is few there be, that are happy staying within the role God has given them, whether its man or woman.

This thread is growing legs and will will probably slip on a pair of pants before its all said and done.

I hope everyone's Yod is in the correct place.