• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Requirement For Salvation?

• Members

Recently heard a preacher say that if someone doesn't believe in the diety of Christ, or does not believe Christ is God, that person can't be saved.
Does anyone know where this doctrine came from in the Bible and/or what verse(s) substantiate this statement?

This is not a discussion of the trinity, or church history, or creeds. I would like to keep this focused on the question.

Thanks.

• Members

No one can be born again in Christ if they are not turning to the Christ of the Bible. If the "Christ" they are calling upon is not the Christ of the Bible, that is a false "Christ", such as that of the Mormons, for example.

• Members

Of course they can't, people that believe that do not believe in the Jesus proclaimed in the Bible.

For instants, the Mormons believe in a Jesus, yet the Jesus they claim, was not both fully God & man, he was a mere man that became good enough to become a god, & they believe that one day they to will become good enough to become gods.

• Members

Rom. 10:9-10
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Requirements for being saved based on this passage.
1. Confess that Jesus Christ is God.
2. Believe that Jesus Died for your sins and arose again.

Act 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

3. Repentance - Acknowledgement of your sinful state and turning from your sin to God.

This I believe answers your question, but if you need more, there are many other verses.

• Members

I appreciate the input.

Seth:
I John 2:22-23 are not saying one must believe Christ is God. Rather, it talks about Jesus being the Christ, and denying the son. I see what you mean as a good start, but are there verses which say one must believe Christ is God (or God the son) in order to be saved?

John 81:
I understand what you are saying about it must be the Christ of the Bible someone is calling upon, but do you have anything more specific from scripture?

Pastorj:
So in Romans 10:9-10, where it says "confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus", are you saying it should be 'confess with thy mouth Jesus Christ is God'?

Jerry:
I assume you are saying of course they can't be saved if they don't believe Christ is God. Got some scriptures specific to this?

Edited by trell

• Members

I do not know of any Scripture that says you must believe in the trinity, there is Scripture that proves the trinity,which the Holy Spirit eventually teaches a saved person that the three are in fact, one. "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son." - 1 John 5:7-10.

And I know that your question is not about that, but personally, when I give the plan of salvation I am speaking about Jesus alone, the only perfect Son of God. No mention of Him being God and the Holy Spirit ever comes up, but no one questions it either when I witness to them. If people believe that Jesus is the perfect Son of God they will eventually understand He is God as they grow. So, technically, I believe that a person can be saved by believing in Christ alone, if they believe that He is the only perfect Son of God, whom died on the cross, was buried, and arose from the dead and they are trusting in Him alone to save them then I believe they can be saved. If they do not believe in the Gospel, then no, they will not be saved.

• Members

I appreciate the input.

Seth:
I John 2:22-23 are not saying one must believe Christ is God. Rather, it talks about Jesus being the Christ, and denying the son. I see what you mean as a good start, but are there verses which say one must believe Christ is God (or God the son) in order to be saved?

John 81:
I understand what you are saying about it must be the Christ of the Bible someone is calling upon, but do you have anything more specific from scripture?

Pastorj:
So in Romans 10:9-10, where it says "confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus", are you saying it should be 'confess with thy mouth Jesus Christ is God'?

Jerry:
I assume you are saying of course they can't be saved if they don't believe Christ is God. Got some scriptures specific to this?

They must, have to, believe in the Christ described & spoke of in the pages of the Bible, that was born of the Father, it cannot be a man made up Christ as the Mormons & others believe in, they actually believe in a man that they made up that does not even exist. Why would I say that, because no mere man has ever been good enough to become a God.

The Mormons will make it sound good, talking about Christ, but if you really question them, they're not speaking about the Christ of the Bible, who is a deity. Of course, you can also find many of them that has no idea what that church teaches, just as you can find people that claim to be Baptist but have no idea what Baptist teach.

Just as many faith groups will talk about grace, & that they're saved by grace, if you start questioning them you will find they believe they receive grace though many things, saving grace, Lord's Supper for instants, baptizing.

Joh 10:30 I and my Father are one.

Your more than welcome to help someone fully understand that, I firmly do not believe any saint will fully understand that until we get to Heaven. And there be other things we will not fully comprehend till that day.

• Members

If you look at the Pharisees...one of their biggest problems is how much they did NOT want to admit that Jesus WAS God. NONE of them were saved without admitting that Jesus was God, or the Son of God. It was a huge turning point when Peter confessed this out loud to Jesus. "Thou art the Christ, the son of the living God."

I believe that is integral to salvation.

I do think that you can get saved without fully understanding the trinity.....but to actually DENY the Trinity, or Deity of God, is to not accept God's truth for salvation.

• Members

I appreciate the input.

Seth:

John 81:

Pastorj:

Jerry:

When it says "confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus", that in itself is stating that one must believe Jesus is God, and is Lord of all. The title of "Lord", with regards to Jesus, means Lord of lords; meaning God.

Scripture warns of false Christs, only turning to the one true Christ will bring about salvation.

• Members

Phillipians 2 teaches that Jesus is equal to God and even has a salvation message with in it's pages

1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

or how about John 14 Jesus show equality to the Father.

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Even Isaiah proclaims this.

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
How about Revelation 20:11-13, Romans 14:9-11, 2 Corinthains 5:10, John 5:22 and 2 Timothy 4:1.
Revelation 20:
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Romans 14:
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
2 Corinthians 5:
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
John 5:22
22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
2 Timothy 4:1
4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

There is no getting around it the Bible is full of Showing Jesus' deity

There is another passage as well. Kinda sums it all up about the Deity of Jesus and His relationship to the Godhead.

Colossians 2:6-10
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Notice what verse 9 says about were the fulness of the the Godhead dwells.

• Members

Yes, they must believe the Christ of the Bible, but what if they are unlearned? Must we show them every aspect of our Lord before they can accept Him?

NO!

I'm going to say this in just a very few words, hopefully the full jest will be there & no one will be nitpicking. All they need to know to be saved is, that they are lost, the cost of their sin debt, they need to repent, confess their sin, that Jesus paid the price.

Plus, until they're saved, & have the Holy Spirit abiding in them, they really can't comprehend the Scriptures, its foolish to them

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

• Members

When dealing with unlearned individuals, I take them through a quick tour of Scriptures, and I mean quick. Basically, I start in Genesis and deal with the fall (Why we need a Savior). I take them to Isaiah to show them the prophecy of the Savior. I take them to the Gospels and show them the Savior. Then I get into the Romans Road.

Too much easy believism or quick prayerism going on these days.