• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What About Buying A House?

• Members

So, lately I've been praying a little bit (I'll admit, not much) about possibly buying a house. I don't want to go into something like this without God's guidance.

But, is there anything we should think of as Christians when buying a house and becoming indebted through a mortgage?

• Members

As with all things we should seek the leading of God, the peace of God. Continual prayer regarding the matter, looking to see what is out there, looking for a house that will serve us well rather than looking for something for the sake of show, looking for a good deal and something which requires taking on as little debt as possible. Then, continue to take all findings before the Lord in prayer to discern His leading.

• Members

I bought my house without a mortgage!

How many years ago?

Houses around here cost $200,000 for a fixer-upper. I won't have that much in my bank account in two lifetimes. hahaha. Ehhh of course, we don't own a home, either. LOL.

• Members

How many years ago?

Houses around here cost $200,000 for a fixer-upper. I won't have that much in my bank account in two lifetimes. hahaha. Ehhh of course, we don't own a home, either. LOL.

I live in a small, rural town where prices aren't that inflated. For $200,000 dollars I could have a mansion on large acres!

About 16 years ago I bought a house with one car garage and two lots for $10,000.

• Members

I live in a small, rural town where prices aren't that inflated. For $200,000 dollars I could have a mansion on large acres!

About 16 years ago I bought a house with one car garage and two lots for $10,000.

I figured. LOL. You can probably buy a shed somewhere for that, here. haha.

Yeah for us to find a home that would fit our family of six in a decent (not fancy) neighborhood and a regular small yard it would be closer to $280,000-$300,000. Needless to say, we're still in a parsonage after 10 years here!

• Members

I figured. LOL. You can probably buy a shed somewhere for that, here. haha.

Yeah for us to find a home that would fit our family of six in a decent (not fancy) neighborhood and a regular small yard it would be closer to $280,000-$300,000. Needless to say, we're still in a parsonage after 10 years here!

Thank God for the parsonage!

Our pastor has been living in the parsonage for 30 years. The only reason our associate pastor has a house is because someone broadsided him and his soon-to-be wife not long before they moved here. They got money from the insurance company, a house unexpectedly came open and "for some reason" the one selling the house called our associate pastor and asked if he was interested. God is good!

• Administrators

$10,000? Let's see, taxes alone on my little corner house is over half of that each year. Property tax on two nice vehicles here would cost me around 10,000 a year (No, I do not have two nice vehicles). I just bought a used 2010 Town and Country. I am expecting a tax bill to be around $2,000 for this first year, and I live in the cheaper area of Connecticut. But you know what? Where-ever God places us, He provides the funds for us. God is good.

DennisD, it is a great time to buy a house, but of course that is between you and the Lord.

• Moderators

We have some farms that run $200-300 thousand with 800-1000 acres of land plus home and outbuildings around here. That most expensive house in town is $165,000. My 3100 sq ft house was $38,000 (bought it last year). Realize the flip side though -- $13/hr is high pay around here. On a side note, our county peaked at 3.5% unemployment during all the economic downturn (and people want to live in big cities? Been there, done that --- no thanks).

Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

$10,000? Let's see, taxes alone on my little corner house is over half of that each year. Property tax on two nice vehicles here would cost me around 10,000 a year (No, I do not have two nice vehicles). I just bought a used 2010 Town and Country. I am expecting a tax bill to be around $2,000 for this first year, and I live in the cheaper area of Connecticut. But you know what? Where-ever God places us, He provides the funds for us. God is good.

DennisD, it is a great time to buy a house, but of course that is between you and the Lord.

Yeah taxes are bad here, too. In the past we've done a mortgage calculation to see if we could save up to afford a house, but then when we add taxes in, it really puts it over the edge. Taxes are almost like a mortgage in and of itself.

• Members

Great time to buy! That would really depend on a persons position at this time, probably many, even though it may be a good time for buying, it would not be a good time for them to buy.

Although employment wise, around here, has been quite good, but some areas has been hard hit.

Actually, the worse may be yet to come, depending on where you live, & the type of work you do, with the rich getting richer, & the poor getting poorer.

• Members

Actually, the worse may be yet to come, depending on where you live, & the type of work you do, with the rich getting richer, & the poor getting poorer.

AHHHHHH really? That was a nice liberal talking point, there!!!!! ;-)

The rich aren't getting richer and the poor aren't getting poorer as a general rule. That's what the media says and everyone parrots it.