• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Would You Read/encourage Kids To Read A Good, Christian Comic Book Series?

Guest Joshua Berndt

Would you read/encourage kids to read a good, Christian comic book series?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you read/encourage kids to read a good, Christian comic book series?

• I think I would read it if it was interesting and mature enough.
    • I think I would encourage kids to read it.
    • I am not an agent of the CIA. I am a writer of comic books! <inside joke>

Guest Joshua Berndt

Examples of a good, Christian series:

Uses the K.J.V.

Teaches Biblical doctrine

Entertaining

Not immature/foolish

Well drawn

Continuing storylines

Fan Club?

Letters to the Editor

Edited by Joshua Berndt

• Members

Same here.

Go to Lifeway and take a look at the children's study materials. There's a big difference between simple drawings to illustrate points from the Bible and what's being done today. Much of what I've seen there parallels secular "cartoons" both printed and electronic.

The word "comics" didn't appear in the 1828 Websters Dictionary. Here's the definition of comedy.

Quote:
COMEDY, n. A dramatic composition intended to represent human characters, which are to be imitated in language, dress and manner, by actors on a stage, for the amusement of spectators. The object of comedy is said to be to recommend virtue and make vice ridiculous; but the real effect is amusement. http://www.1828-dictionary.com/d/search/word,comedy

"But the real effect is amusement."

BTW, I noticed this thread has been tagged with "Christain comic books, comic book, superheroes".

Today's "superheroes"??? - all media outlets from comic books to video games to recent movie releases -

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time with this. How do you elevate Christ, in the eyes of a child, when "comics" are full of characters with capes and superpowers? Yes, I understand teaching the difference between comic strip "A" and strip "B". That difference doesn't have to be taught when Christ isn't brought down to a level parallet to a caped crusader which requires explaination to a 5-6 yr old.

Guest Joshua Berndt

I didn't vote, because I wouldn't encourage a child to read a Christian comic book series. IMO, the art form demeans the content.

Do you mean the artwork or the art form(a comic in and of itself)? If you mean the art form, how does a comic book demean Christians? The story will be about Christians.

• Members

Do you mean the artwork or the art form(a comic in and of itself)? If you mean the art form, how does a comic book demean Christians? The story will be about Christians.

I mean the art form. If the material is "serious" and weighty and important...and true (as opposed to flippant, fun, and fiction), shouldn't the form in which it is presented reflect that? Form does shape content; the viewer/reader's idea of the content is affected by the form in which it is presented. That's why it's demeaning to make a statue of Jesus out of, say, chocolate or Legos or an inflatable pool toy. It's why we wouldn't put the words of the great hymns (and other "true" songs) to a carpet cleaner jingle or the tune of a soft drink commercial. It's why "CCM" is out as a vehicle to worship our holy God and describe what He is like. It's why we don't use urban graffiti or tattoos to share the gospel. These presentation styles are vulgar and common. "Pop culture" with all of its bling and faddishness and sensationalism has nothing in common with the ideas of the Bible, so why use "pop art" to depict Bible stories or followers of Jesus? Those "lower," "cutesy" art forms are fine for content which matches their essence (with the exception of fleshly music): fun, frivolous, comical, droll, kitschy, etc....but they're not appropriate to convey messages which are truly beautiful and weighty with truth.

The Hebrew word for "glory" (as in God's glory) is kavod. It's a derivitive of the word for "heavy." God's glory is "heavy," weighty...not something that is trifling, cute, sparkly, entertaining, sensational, faddish, or super-hero-ish. These qualities are the opposite of "heavy"; they're quite "light and frothy"--empty of real substance and value, and therefore quickly passing. Someone who is seeking to illustrate God's glory (His Word is part of that glory) shouldn't use art forms of this nature to do so. Edited by Annie

• Members

Actually it depends on the quality. For instance, a popular book series right now is "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". My boys really wanna read the series. I paged through it and it seems like the kid is always negative and has some sort of attitude. So I'm not real excited about it and haven't let them read it. I think a Christian version of something like that that would be fun and interesting and exciting but yet encourage a better attitude about life would be a good thing. The challenge for Christian authors today is to get an exciting, fast-paced story for kids while still maintaining some sort of separation from the world in some way. I actually don't know how you'd do it, LOL, but I volunteer my kids to be testers if you're writing! ;-)

• Members

I went hunting to see if I could find an example of what bother's me about cartoon characters being used to teach our children. Decided to search VBS materials since those will be coming up soon at many churches.

Take a look at this link that features cartoon figures and music, too. http://youtu.be/AoXyk5AFAvs

What's your opinion?

Does this glorify God and His commandments?

• Members

Even as a child I was never a big comic book fan. I suppose if the content was solid and the graphics decent I would not object, but I prefer true books over comic books. Comic book naratives are never as good as a true book and besides, my imagination always seemed to offer better visualizations than what is offered within the constraints of the comic books.

FYI I did not vote as my answer was not available. I would not actively pursue any kind of comic book, nor encourage my child to read them. I would allow them if the content was suitable.

Edited by 282Mikado

Guest Joshua Berndt

Actually it depends on the quality. For instance, a popular book series right now is "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". My boys really wanna read the series. I paged through it and it seems like the kid is always negative and has some sort of attitude. So I'm not real excited about it and haven't let them read it. I think a Christian version of something like that that would be fun and interesting and exciting but yet encourage a better attitude about life would be a good thing. The challenge for Christian authors today is to get an exciting, fast-paced story for kids while still maintaining some sort of separation from the world in some way. I actually don't know how you'd do it, LOL, but I volunteer my kids to be testers if you're writing! ;-)

Thank you!

Guest Joshua Berndt

I thought he was referring to kind of like chick tracts sort of thing...

No. I was speaking of comic books and graphic novels. So story telling in art form, but with spiritually mature stories, modestly dressed characters, adventure, Bible doctrine and verses, etc.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Does this glorify God and His commandments?

By the fact that they call it a "boogie," I will not watch it and give them a higher "viewed" status. But because they may sing improperly, I will not then say that singing should never be a part of praise or of a Biblical life.

• Administrators

Joshua, are your comic books Bible stories? You mentioned Bible doctrine in your above post, but you've never said you were doing actual stories from the Bible. My impression was that you weren't aiming in that direction. Am I wrong?

The reason I ask is because I agree with some who have mentioned that the graphic format could trivialize - if it is Bible comics. I've seen some of those, and, frankly, they are (to me) demeaning of the beauty of the Bible. However, if it is as I'm thinking and it's modern day people in life situations, with Biblical principles being taught, then I don't have a problem with that.

I enjoyed comic books as a child - and even today still do at times (depending on the topic, dress, etc). It never took me away from reading more serious stuff. In fact, I read everything I could get my hands on then (including the dictionary - really!), and still read voraciously.

The sad truth is that today, many kids (and adults) don't read much at all. Libraries are going in for the graphic novel in a big way - and most of them are gore and ick. But they get read. If something clean came along that would be in a format that graphic novel devotees would read, (again, as long as it's not actual Bible), I would be all for it. The Holy Spirit could certainly use that format just as much as he could plain text.

• Members

Just another reason why I disagree with using "comic books" as a teaching tool for children.

Susie: Would you like to read my comic book?
Janie: Sure. My mom has been reading some with me that are Bible stories.
Susie: Well, you'll like these stories, too. http://tv.yahoo.com/news/dc-comics-character-come-gay-144100957.html?ugCCMtnav=v1%2Fcomments%2Fcontext%2Fe9978624-6eb7-3330-8913-0a3acbb5e23a%2Fcomments%3Fcount%3D20%26sortBy%3Doldest

Will Janie tell her mom that she's also reading and absorbing her friend's "comic book"? Will mom even have the opportunity to try to explain there are comic books and then there are comic books?