• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Have Real Friends

• Members

Life is ineffably lonely without having our friends around us. It's even impossible to live without one, and if I knew someone who has none at all perhaps I would readily offer my friendship. I'm convinced God designed life to be about being friends with people, and that He Himself has friends amongst us. I believe friendships are essential to living.

We have a handful of answers to the question "What is a real friend?". I bet we can come up with the funniest to the most profound definition of a real friend, and still think we can't really describe one. When someone is a real friend, we just know it, feel it and experience it.

In the Bible, a friend is characterised as someone who loves you at all times (Proverbs 17:17) and whose wounds are faithful (Proverbs 27:6). The first verse speak about a friend indeed---a person who loves you every moment of your life, no matter what happens, even if you change or fall, and despite the difference in time and distance. The second verse tells how comforting it is to have somebody---a friend---who desires what's best for you, even to the point of hurting or causing you pain at times. It's true, real friends won't comfort you with lies and they will tell you what you need to hear and know.

Love, trust, honesty, loyalty and communication are indispensable to nurturing a friendship and making it last for a lifetime. From being friends, people become foes when they lack one or two of these things. We've heard of so many people who became strangers to each other because they gave in to hatred, betrayed trust, spoke lies or kept secrets, turned their backs from friendship and remained distant or silent for a period of time. For friendship to grow and stay strong through years, friends must remain as close as they can be, share each other's ups and downs, give time to listen to what must be said, do things together, respect personal differences and learn to stay true to each other even in trying times.

In times of distress and afflictions, real friends are there to comfort and buoy you up in the most thoughtful ways. During happy moments, they share your joys and make you even more blissful. At times you must be alone, they value your solitude and patiently wait for the time you bid them to finally sit beside you. In every decision you make, their advice is wise and encouraging---they won't let you take the wrong path. They accept you for who you really are, overlook your imperfections, know your worth, like what you do, examine your intentions and cause you to become a better individual.

What is life without real friends? I don't know. What and where am I without God-given companions? I can't tell. All I know is that I'm so blessed having them around me. I'm so grateful I have real friends.

~ Me, 11 March, 2012

• Members

I think I can sum up the words, 'real friend,' or 'true friend,' in one word, "Jesus."

Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

And the person that has Him for their friend should never feel lonely wherever they may find their self. And evena a song to that effect.

No Not One

There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus,
No, not one! No, not one!
None else could heal all our soul’s diseases,
Jesus knows all about our struggles,
He will guide till the day is done;

No friend like Him is so high and holy,
And yet no friend is so meek and lowly,

There’s not an hour that He is not near us,
No night so dark but His love can cheer us,

Did ever saint find this Friend forsake him?
Or sinner find that He would not take him?

Was e’er a gift like the Savior given?
Will He refuse us a home in heaven?

Of course, its always nice, even wonderful, to fellowship with other friends that are believers.