• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fundamental Baptist Schizophrenia

• Members

What do I mean? Pretty much what this topic is about.
I mean there can be false teachers in your own church, or my church,. They aren't just on TV. No, I would not care to name any names but it certainly isn't aimed at you. It's just that too many Independent Baptists readily point out false doctrine or 'error', in other denominations and the Benny Hinns, Rick Warrens, or Joel Osteens of the world, but seem to be oblivious or reluctant or AFRAID to acknowledge any hint of false doctrine infiltrating our own ranks. If someone points out error in a Fundamental Baptist preacher, you'd think from the reaction they had accused the Lord Himself.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they're local, as well as on TV. One of our members watches one on TV, she has mentioned him several times. Sadly, some pastor will start off right, yet when they get on TV, they seem more prone to error, perhaps hoping to appeal to a larger listening audience so there will be more feed for their coffers.

I might add, book stores, even Baptist book stories, are stocked, stuffed with books written by false teachers. I believe books by false teachers sells faster than book written by true teachers. The Baptist book store I use to go to has many more books by false teachers than true teachers.

• Members

Jerry, we have a church member that does the same thing. Faithfully attends Bible study with a well worn and marked Bible. Yet, she frequently references a certain TV preacher in a way that indicates she clings to his every word. (sigh)

Also the same with our local Baptist bookstore. It seems that whatever is the newest, latest, and most popular is heavily promoted. It seems that almost anything labeled "Christian" that has the potential to make a buck is there. It also seems inclusion of secular themes is growing, too. I stopped by before Easter and the store was filled with "seasonal" merchandise of bunny rabbits and Easter eggs. About the only difference between them and WalMart was their bunny rabbits had a token reference to Christ.

• Members

Our local Baptist bookstore was "too conservative" and was driven out of business by the "more open" Christian bookstore at the mall.

The Christian bookstore sells all the modern and popular stuff. It used to be worth stopping in there once in awhile because they had a bargain book table where they often had KJBs and conservative Bible based books with great sale prices. Now they don't even have that. What they do have in abundance is books by the likes of Joyce Meyer, TD Jakes, Joel Osteen and Rick Warren.

• Members

AFAIK UK Christian bookshops are either ecumenical or only exist as an outreach from a Gospel church. They cannot survive financially by selling sound books. Greetings cards, stationary & art materials may also be sold.

Do we spend ÂŁ50 per year on good books - while spending ÂŁ100 weekly on food, plus fuel, etc.

• Members

Many people in this country either never or rarely read books. This includes many professing Christians who also never or rarely ever read a Bible.

The so-called Christian bookstores that manage to survive do so by selling the watered down popular "Christian" books along with selling all sorts of "Christian" knick-knacks, paintings, figurines, greeting cards, t-shirts and CCM CDs.

Most often I buy sound Christian books online because it's one place I know I can find them and it's usually cheaper too.

• Members

No doubt, the liberal Baptist Book store will put the conservative Baptist Book store out of business, I saw that take place too.

Oldtimer, I don't understand, those we've mentioned, that will hold some TV in such high esteem, actually knowing little about him, never seeing what kind of life he lives before men, who will not visit them when they're sick, who probably would not even say hello to them if they met them on the street, never visit them when a loved is sick or has died.

The man of TV begs for their money, they send it in & when its sent in it goes strait to his very own coffers, so they can live the high life, with a very low percentage of it going to support true biblical mission works.

What money I can support God with I've always given it to my local church, for I know exactly where the money goes, & the majority of it supports true Bible mission works, with the rest paying our pastor & meeting the expenses & upkeep of our church building.

I'm not going to risk supporting a charlatan with the money God has trusted me with.

• Members

Many people in this country either never or rarely read books. This includes many professing Christians who also never or rarely ever read a Bible.

The so-called Christian bookstores that manage to survive do so by selling the watered down popular "Christian" books along with selling all sorts of "Christian" knick-knacks, paintings, figurines, greeting cards, t-shirts and CCM CDs.

Most often I buy sound Christian books online because it's one place I know I can find them and it's usually cheaper too.

They may be better off never reading what called books by Christian books by what is called Christian writers, for many that's passed off as Christian books, because the large majority of what is called Christian books is filled with mostly false teachings.

Of course they need to read their Bible, but many find it uninteresting, dry reading.

• Members

They may be better off never reading what called books by Christian books by what is called Christian writers, for many that's passed off as Christian books, because the large majority of what is called Christian books is filled with mostly false teachings.

Of course they need to read their Bible, but many find it uninteresting, dry reading.

I know that's true because most often if I hear one of those non-readers mention they have actually read a book, and it's so rare for them they make a big noise about it, I find they have read some watered down or error filled work by one of those modernist, popular "Christian" authors.

One problem I've found with many Christians who have "tried" to read the Bible but stopped because it was too dry or too confusing, is they tried to read the Bible like an ordinary book from beginning to end. There is nothing wrong with reading the Bible from beginning to end, I do it each year, but for those unfamiliar with the Bible I've found it much better to start them in the book of John and tell them to read from there to the end. They are much less likely to get bogged down this way and what they read is directly applicable to them as Christians. Once they get a foundation of biblical understanding they are better prepared for what they will encounter in the Old Testament.

Sad to say though, many folks won't even read from John to Revelation without giving up.

We've probably all heard many professing Christians say they would like to read their Bible but they just don't have the time. They have the time to watch their favorite TV programs, to follow their favorite sports teams, to eat their meals, brush their teeth and sleep but they claim to be unable to find even 10 minutes to read some Scripture.

Just as one makes the effort to watch their favorite TV program or sports team, so one has to make the effort to read the Bible if they really want to. Many years ago I finally made that determination. I began getting up a little earlier and reading my Bible before breakfast. That has worked well for me. Our pastor reads his Bible every day after he eats breakfast and showers.

It's a matter of priority and committment. Are we going to set a priority to read the Word and commit to it or not?

• Members

Oldtimer, I don't understand, those we've mentioned, that will hold some TV in such high esteem, actually knowing little about him, never seeing what kind of life he lives before men, who will not visit them when they're sick, who probably would not even say hello to them if they met them on the street, never visit them when a loved is sick or has died.
--------------------
I'm not going to risk supporting a charlatan with the money God has trusted me with.

That was a message that I could never get through to my Mother. She'd faithfully send in her $5-$10, because that was all she couldn't actually afford to mail each week. When I tried to get her to look at their fancy clothes, lavish homes, private jets, etc. here's her reply. Something along these lines..... "It doesn't matter. If only a little bit of what I send in goes to do the Lord's work, that's what counts". She never did *see* that her dollars would have been better spent for the Lord by giving locally.

• Members

We've probably all heard many professing Christians say they would like to read their Bible but they just don't have the time. They have the time to watch their favorite TV programs, to follow their favorite sports teams, to eat their meals, brush their teeth and sleep but they claim to be unable to find even 10 minutes to read some Scripture.

I often think about this in our Sunday school class. It's apparent that most of the people there have NOT even taken the time to, at least glance at it a bit. The reason why it's so apparent is they never disagree with the opinion of the author of the lesson materials. Lifeway uses the Holman Bible, thus there's a disagreement with the KJB scriptures. The current quarterly's author(s) then go off on their tangents with.... possibly this means, it's likely, according to the Greek, it appears, (all the speculation they can muster). It's very rare for anyone else to speak up and challenge the focus/content of the lesson.

And, what's worse, in my humble opinion, for some of these folks who have been in this class for 50 years, it appears that they haven't read the Bible. Period. I'm trying to get the beam out of my own eye for many years of neglect, too. My feeble excuse is that I wasn't in church and Sunday school classes. These folks were. I should be able to look to these folks to teach me. It's lonely in there when no one else says "The Bible doesn't say that!".

• Members

It's like Paul wrote about many who should be teachers by now but they themselves are in need of the basics.

For some, they seem to nibble on nothing but the basics their whole Christian lives and even after 40 or more years as a Christian they still don't have a grasp of that.

I've been in Bible studies there most haven't got a clue so they are either silent or take the easy way of agreeing with everything with no thought involved.

Thankfully our adult Sunday school class has a good group that is willing to ask questions, share what they have studied, share life examples which support verses being studied, and even the few who don't know much about the Bible are willing to ask important questions or for clarification if they don't understand something.

• Members

I know that's true because most often if I hear one of those non-readers mention they have actually read a book, and it's so rare for them they make a big noise about it, I find they have read some watered down or error filled work by one of those modernist, popular "Christian" authors.

One problem I've found with many Christians who have "tried" to read the Bible but stopped because it was too dry or too confusing, is they tried to read the Bible like an ordinary book from beginning to end. There is nothing wrong with reading the Bible from beginning to end, I do it each year, but for those unfamiliar with the Bible I've found it much better to start them in the book of John and tell them to read from there to the end. They are much less likely to get bogged down this way and what they read is directly applicable to them as Christians. Once they get a foundation of biblical understanding they are better prepared for what they will encounter in the Old Testament.

Sad to say though, many folks won't even read from John to Revelation without giving up.

Just as one makes the effort to watch their favorite TV program or sports team, so one has to make the effort to read the Bible if they really want to. Many years ago I finally made that determination. I began getting up a little earlier and reading my Bible before breakfast. That has worked well for me. Our pastor reads his Bible every day after he eats breakfast and showers.

It's a matter of priority and committment. Are we going to set a priority to read the Word and commit to it or not?

AMEN!!

• Members

May I add one very important thing, one needs to be saved, to read the bible, & actually come to a true understanding, & that comes from the Bible.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

As one man stated, a lost man will not really believe the Bible is God's true word, yet, if he has truly been saved, he will believe the Bible is God's true Word. Why, for he is saved, & he now has God's Holy Spirit dwelling within him.

Which goes back to a big problem I've mentioned, many people are writing books about the Bible, preaching the Bible, & teaching Sunday school classes & such, that are lost. And all they do is lead people into false beliefs.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

• Members

That was a message that I could never get through to my Mother. She'd faithfully send in her $5-$10, because that was all she couldn't actually afford to mail each week. When I tried to get her to look at their fancy clothes, lavish homes, private jets, etc. here's her reply. Something along these lines..... "It doesn't matter. If only a little bit of what I send in goes to do the Lord's work, that's what counts". She never did *see* that her dollars would have been better spent for the Lord by giving locally.

Of course I agree we should use discernment as much as possible when giving but I imagine that your mother will still get a reward for giving because her heart was right about it. I mean, in the NT when Jesus praised the widow for giving her two mites, all she had, who was that money most likely going to? Probably to a lot of the same wicked and undeserving priests/scribes that later supported the Crucifixion of Christ... Food for thought...

• Members

Of course I agree we should use discernment as much as possible when giving but I imagine that your mother will still get a reward for giving because her heart was right about it. I mean, in the NT when Jesus praised the widow for giving her two mites, all she had, who was that money most likely going to? Probably to a lot of the same wicked and undeserving priests/scribes that later supported the Crucifixion of Christ... Food for thought...

It is good food for thought....

I have no doubt my Mom will be rewarded because she did without to try to help others. She not only gave to TV preachers, she gave her time and money for her local church ministries, too. And, no doubt, there was probably some undeserving there, too. With 20/20 hindsight, I've seen that happen at our church. Assistance given to others in good faith, only to learn later the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say. The act of giving in good faith is what results in rewards in heaven.

Since I can't know what was in my Mom's heart when she mailed all those checks to TV preachers of the 1970's, I'll switch over to myself for the rest of this post. Back then, and today, I feel that it is wrong to knowingly keep Tammy Faye Baker, for example, supplied with makup (or other equivalent). Especially, when knowing, also, there's a truly needy family down the road who can't pay their electric bill. That was the core of my disagreement with my Mom and how she gave to serve the Lord. Mom said Tammy's makeup didn't matter, as long as Mom knew at least a little of her offering went for God's use.