• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling Advice?

• Members

According to Peter, Lot was a just man.

2 Peter 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

And he vexed his soul just as many do today.

Ge 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Yes, to his son-in-laws when he warned what was going to take place, they did not believe him for he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Yes, you can be saved, yet have no testimony, credibility! There is not hardly a thing worse than a saved person that has no credibility.

• Members

As my wife is now 4 months with our first I need to start prepping for homeschooling. As I work from home and am more suited to the task we have decided that I will be responsible for this and seeing that I wasn't the best kid at school all advice would be appreciated.

Make sure you know the laws of your state and county. Join one of these homeschooling groups too if you can. There is strength in numbers and when the state comes after you for something usually it helps when you are part of one of the associations.

My brother and his wife homeschooled both their kids. They are now both cops in Roanoke, VA. The younger one did attend college and got his associates degree. It's a rough road to travel sometimes. Expect some people to give you a lot of grief about it at first. Especially any unsaved family members. Try to find some good tutors to help you with the studies that may be beyond your understanding. My brother and his wife did this by hiring a girl who lived across the street that was really good in math. They even got her to go to church with them and I think she eventually got saved.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

I am glad I stumbled onto this thread. If we go the deputation route as a missionary, it's good to know that neither I, nor my wife, have to "teach" in the traditional sense. She was worried she would have to be responsible for that. It appears as though Abeka provides that "teaching" aspect of it. Awesome! 

Edited by Anthony John Thornton

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Anthony John Thornton said:

I am glad I stumbled onto this thread. If we go the deputation route as a missionary, it's good to know that I, nor my wife, have to "teach" in the traditional sense. She was worried she would have to be responsible for that. It appears as though Abeka provides that "teaching" aspect of it. Awesome! 

Yes, they do provide that. But be careful of their history and Bible classes. They present a worldview that is more in line with reformed theology than being biblical. If you are aware of that, and take care to counteract that, they have a pretty good set-up for missionaries (except that I'm not fond of the idea of staring at a monitor for hours during the day LOL).

There is a boatload of curricula out there that help parents teach. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Yes, they do provide that. But be careful of their history and Bible classes. They present a worldview that is more in line with reformed theology than being biblical. If you are aware of that, and take care to counteract that, they have a pretty good set-up for missionaries (except that I'm not fond of the idea of staring at a monitor for hours during the day LOL).

There is a boatload of curricula out there that help parents teach. 

Fantastic advice and thank you for that awareness. I will definitely take a proactive approach to it. And the starting at a screen doesn't thrill me either, but the way I look at it, if we are on deputation, it will be a lot like a long camping trip! We are waiting for a few doors to open if it's the Lord's will, but if not, it's deputation and we will have to homeschool. 

• Administrators
Just now, Anthony John Thornton said:

Fantastic advice and thank you for that awareness. I will definitely take a proactive approach to it. And the starting at a screen doesn't thrill me either, but the way I look at it, if we are on deputation, it will be a lot like a long camping trip! We are waiting for a few doors to open if it's the Lord's will, but if not, it's deputation and we will have to homeschool. 

"get to" - not "have to." =D  It is a privilege and you will find a joy beyond words to be able to school your own children. And you will find, too, that it isn't as much work as most people think. Especially with the younger kids. There are all kinds of games you can play with your kids as you drive along that will be fun and educational. You can even make up games to play in the car, focusing on a particular need.

I loved schooling our son. And I am finishing up schooling one of my nieces - have taught her for all 4 of her high school years. What a blessing, now, to see her ready to head into life as an adult prepared in a way that the public school here just does not do.

• Members
4 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

"get to" - not "have to." =D  It is a privilege and you will find a joy beyond words to be able to school your own children. And you will find, too, that it isn't as much work as most people think. Especially with the younger kids. There are all kinds of games you can play with your kids as you drive along that will be fun and educational. You can even make up games to play in the car, focusing on a particular need.

I loved schooling our son. And I am finishing up schooling one of my nieces - have taught her for all 4 of her high school years. What a blessing, now, to see her ready to head into life as an adult prepared in a way that the public school here just does not do.

Good rephrasing lol. I actually relish the thought of being there every step of the way. I currently work offshore and am gone two weeks at a time. What an incredible privilege it will be to be there all the time!