• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are You A Connoisseur?

Do you have an ability to recognize expertly some craft, workmanship, or one of the arts (paintings, sculpture, music, writings, etc.)? Thinking about it now it seems like something way beyond my capability. I do not have this knowledge or ability. I would like to think I can recognize KJV scripture to know if something sounds correct but, I can be fooled

If you do have this ability...
What particular art or craft is your expertise? Was it learned or did it come to you naturally? If learned did you have to practice it relentlessly or did it come easily?

• Moderators

Well, you did say craftsmanship.

Add sloppy wiring in panels to that.
Even the National Electric Code (I'm in the U.S.) require "workman like manner" but a lot of electricians feel "it looks good from my house" (they don't keep a job long with me like that)

As for arts -- I'm a musician, but hardly an "expert".

• Members

Recognizing old quality castiron cookware.

As long as I can touch it (don't have to see it), the weight relative to size and the "texture" of the iron is enough to identify the craftsmanship that went into the piece. While a bit harder, even pieces coated with years of cooking "crud" give clues to what lies underneath. Listening to a piece will reveal hidden cracks.

This comes from actually cleaning and restoring old pieces, some my own and others from friends.

Old gate-marked pieces (the mark resulting from pouring molten iron into a mold) that don't carry a foundry's trademark have an interior so smooth it rivals modern non-stick. These pieces, often from the 1850's or so, have withstood the test of time. Modern non-stick tends to become useless through usage, while the old CI continues to improve with age.

The KJB is like an early Griswold skillet, much sought after by collectors. It has withstood the test of time and is well seasoned through use. The craftsmanship, when this skillet was poured at the foundry, is not being duplicated today by any producer anywhere, today.

Well, you did say craftsmanship.

Add sloppy wiring in panels to that.
Even the National Electric Code (I'm in the U.S.) require "workman like manner" but a lot of electricians feel "it looks good from my house" (they don't keep a job long with me like that)

As for arts -- I'm a musician, but hardly an "expert".

I didn't think of wiring electric panels but this is just as much an art as any other.

Recognizing old quality castiron cookware.

As long as I can touch it (don't have to see it), the weight relative to size and the "texture" of the iron is enough to identify the craftsmanship that went into the piece. While a bit harder, even pieces coated with years of cooking "crud" give clues to what lies underneath. Listening to a piece will reveal hidden cracks.

This comes from actually cleaning and restoring old pieces, some my own and others from friends.

Old gate-marked pieces (the mark resulting from pouring molten iron into a mold) that don't carry a foundry's trademark have an interior so smooth it rivals modern non-stick. These pieces, often from the 1850's or so, have withstood the test of time. Modern non-stick tends to become useless through usage, while the old CI continues to improve with age.

The KJB is like an early Griswold skillet, much sought after by collectors. It has withstood the test of time and is well seasoned through use. The craftsmanship, when this skillet was poured at the foundry, is not being duplicated today by any producer anywhere, today.

I was saving the tie-in for later, think I'll keep it under wraps a while longer.

God gives us these skills and talents and it's refreshing to see some folks who appreciate what God has given. I know folks who use these skills to glorify God in many ways. Some folks are just too self-indulged to see how they might use their skills and abilities. I'm sorry to say, I don't have an art/skill proficiency so I could use it to enhance my witnessing opportunities. I just have to kind of stand by staring and wishing I could.

• Members

"Connoisseur" just means "picky" basically, right? hahaha.

Okay I'm "picky" about spelling and grammar. And I'm "picky" about food and, of course, cake decorating, and somewhat of a perfectionist in all of the above three areas. I enjoy reading and writing and doing stuff "in the background" like baking and things that don't deal very much with the public. (And why God saw fit to make me a pastor's wife, He'll just have to inform me in Heaven someday because I can't possibly figure it out. haha.)

Maybe God can use me somehow in my expanding cake business...I hope. Its been a blessing to be able to earn extra income for the family.

• Members

As an artist blacksmith and blade smith I can appreciate all things done by hand, especially the "old forgotten" crafts and I also have a thing for cast iron cookware - my wife threw my whole collection out when we first got married and being the young naive newly wed christian divorce was not an option - we laugh about now - but I was not amused at the time.

• Members

Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise. Psalm 33:3

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10

Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men. Proverbs 22:29

He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster. Proverbs 18:9

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Colossians 3:23

While we have to live in this world we all have worldly needs for worldly goods and services. It is just as much testimony to do an honest days work, and do your very best as it is to "witness" to people. Because people are watching, and they notice if you are a careless, lazy slacker who takes shortcuts or shortchanges them on quality, service and time. They also notice when you do right. It's part of "letting your light shine". I believe that it doesn't matter if you are a musician, plumber, electrician, garbage man, or preacher; you should strive diligently to be the VERY BEST you can possibly be at what you do. It honors God..

Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise. Psalm 33:3

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10

Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men. Proverbs 22:29

He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster. Proverbs 18:9

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Colossians 3:23

While we have to live in this world we all have worldly needs for worldly goods and services. It is just as much testimony to do an honest days work, and do your very best as it is to "witness" to people. Because people are watching, and they notice if you are a careless, lazy slacker who takes shortcuts or shortchanges them on quality, service and time. They also notice when you do right. It's part of "letting your light shine". I believe that it doesn't matter if you are a musician, plumber, electrician, garbage man, or preacher; you should strive diligently to be the VERY BEST you can possibly be at what you do. It honors God..

You did say you have sheep, right? So you're a shepherd too! Can you spot your own sheep from others?