• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Billy Graham

• Members
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, Invicta said:

Over tenty years ago, we went to a Baptist Church in Ashford.  While we were there Billy Graham came to England.  Our church was the only one in the town who did not join in to support Graham. 

Totally sick and demented that any Christian would be against Graham when he has always preached from the pulpit the biblical doctrine of salvation. Those statements that are attributed to Graham about Graham supposedly believing that salvation can come about apart from Jesus are totally false as he does not really believe those statements that he supposedly made that contradict the Bible but he was suffering from some kind of mental illness.

• Moderators

John, I hope you're trolling here. To say that he was suffering from some sort of mental illness when he said some things he said, but to stand and uphold other things he said, and to outright deny that he said certain things he is well known for, well, either you have no sense of reality in yourself, or you;'re just playing with us.

Billy Graham gave up basic solid Bible doctrine for the love and approval of the world a long time ago. He is an ecumenical compromiser, at best, and the fringe of heresy, at worst.

• Members
1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

John, I hope you're trolling here. To say that he was suffering from some sort of mental illness when he said some things he said, but to stand and uphold other things he said, and to outright deny that he said certain things he is well known for, well, either you have no sense of reality in yourself, or you;'re just playing with us.

Billy Graham gave up basic solid Bible doctrine for the love and approval of the world a long time ago. He is an ecumenical compromiser, at best, and the fringe of heresy, at worst.

Every time I heard Graham preach on Television in his Crusades or otherwise it was always the biblical doctrine of salvation. So it is nonsense to state that he believed those statements that were against the Bible doctrine of salvation when he preached the biblical doctrine of salvation in his Crusades.

• Moderators

John, I have a question for you. Has Billy Graham done something for you and your family that makes you so fiercely attached to him? Perhaps were they saved at a crusade? You seem awfully determined to believe that he is totally above doctrinal reproach, so to speak.

• Members
5 hours ago, John Yurich said:

Totally sick and demented that any Christian would be against Graham when he has always preached from the pulpit the biblical doctrine of salvation. Those statements that are attributed to Graham about Graham supposedly believing that salvation can come about apart from Jesus are totally false as he does not really believe those statements that he supposedly made that contradict the Bible but he was suffering from some kind of mental illness.

How come every other church including Catholics supported him and why did he send "enquirers" back to their home dead churches?

• Members
20 hours ago, Salyan said:

John, I have a question for you. Has Billy Graham done something for you and your family that makes you so fiercely attached to him? Perhaps were they saved at a crusade? You seem awfully determined to believe that he is totally above doctrinal reproach, so to speak.

None of my family were saved at a Billy Graham Crusade. The only thing that Graham did for me was to provide me with the biblical doctrine of salvation at an early age when I started watching his Crusades on Television at the age of 8. I was raised by my Catholic parents to watch Graham and other Evangelical Protestant ministers on Television to learn the Evangelical Protestant doctrine of salvation. If Graham has preached the biblical doctrine of salvation in his Crusades then logically he does not really believe that salvation can come about apart from Jesus regardless of what he may have stated in those articles.

17 hours ago, Invicta said:

How come every other church including Catholics supported him and why did he send "enquirers" back to their home dead churches?

I do not know the answer.

Edited by John Yurich

• Moderators

I can see what an influence he was in your life. It's hard to hear anything against someone that has been important to us. I remember the first time I heard anything spoken against Elizabeth Elliot and James Dobson (both influential evangelical figures in my youth) - it was pretty much unbelievable to me that there could be anything wrong with anything they said! But all men are fallible.

I really don't see the mutual exclusion here that you do. Let me illustrate. If one person in a particular setting (say casual workplace acquaintance) ask where I was from, they'd get the quick answer (hometown, central AB). If another person in another setting (say good friend at home) was to ask me, they'd probably get a more thorough answer (born in BC, moved back at such an age to be with family, etc.). The first answer does not negate the second.

In the same fashion, it is completely possible for Graham to give a short definition of salvation in his crusades, and a more thorough explanation of his views in that area when giving interviews or writing books. His short definition may sound correct to us (and frankly, since the crusades are designed to appeal to a wide variety of denominations, he probably chooses his words carefully while preaching in them so as not to offend anyone), while his more detailed explanation exposes some serious doctrinal deviances.

Ultimately, what you choose to believe about any person is your choice. It really doesn't affect me at all. I am concerned, though, that you allow yourself, in any part of life, to consider all the pertinent information, and not reject out of hand anything that does not meet with your preconceptions. It is not logical to refuse to accept a man's own words as evidence of his beliefs. Faith is not strengthened by the refusal to challenge it, and God's Word is strong enough to stand up to our questions.

• Members
6 hours ago, John Yurich said:

None of my family were saved at a Billy Graham Crusade. The only thing that Graham did for me was to provide me with the biblical doctrine of salvation at an early age when I started watching his Crusades on Television at the age of 8. I was raised by my Catholic parents to watch Graham and other Evangelical Protestant ministers on Television to learn the Evangelical Protestant doctrine of salvation. If Graham has preached the biblical doctrine of salvation in his Crusades then logically he does not really believe that salvation can come about apart from Jesus regardless of what he may have stated in those articles.

I do not know the answer.

Some were saved as a result of his campaigns, including some members of my own family, but many whopo were enquiring were sent back to Catholic churches,

• Members
On 5/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, John Yurich said:

If it is true that he is suffering from some kind of mental illness due to old age, then his ministry needs to keep him from speaking in public.

His quotes about people getting in to heaven apart from saving faith in Jesus, are killing us in personal evangelism. His name alone nearly makes him an "authority" on salvation to many people who are biblically illiterate. When Billy Graham says something, his name trumps mine in a discussion about salvation. So it's not uncommon to have someone tell me "well Billy Graham says....".

I want Billy Graham to finish the race well, and not let his "feelings" on a subject take precedence over the Bible.

• Administrators

"Totally sick and demented..." is unacceptable speech toward members who just don't happen to agree with you, John Yurich. You are hereby officially warned, and as soon as I finish this, you will receive warning points. Step back and be a little less (really, a whole lot less) obnoxious towards fellow Christians. It seems that you are more concerned with defending a compromiser than you are in being gracious in your speech towards Christians.

A word to the wise should be sufficient. We shall see.

• Members

The plain facts of the matter:

1. some people were saved under the ministry of Billy Graham
  2. Billy Graham from some of the earliest times spoke in interviews things that are contrary to biblical salvation.
  3. Billy Graham is known to accept and stand with groups that clearly DO NOT preach the biblical Gospel.

Those are the facts.

WHY he stands with unbiblical groups, and WHY he says things in interviews that are contrary to the Biblical Gospel is actually NOT IN THE LEAST BIT IMPORTANT.

If he is mentally unstable as you suggest without any evidence or proof. or if he knew exactly what he was doing and why, it makes no difference - some people were saved under his ministry and preaching, but in interviews he teaches a false gospel.

End of story, those are the facts.

• Members
16 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

"Totally sick and demented..." is unacceptable speech toward members who just don't happen to agree with you, John Yurich. You are hereby officially warned, and as soon as I finish this, you will receive warning points. Step back and be a little less (really, a whole lot less) obnoxious towards fellow Christians. It seems that you are more concerned with defending a compromiser than you are in being gracious in your speech towards Christians.

A word to the wise should be sufficient. We shall see.

Graham is not a compromiser if he has always preached from the pulpit the biblical doctrine of salvation. Those statements that Graham stated in those articles about salvation coming about apart from Jesus are not what he really believes if he preaches the biblical doctrine of salvation from the pulpit. It is not logical to believe that Graham believes that salvation can come about apart from Jesus when he preaches the biblical doctrine of salvation.

• Members

Below is from the book two posts above.  That is not compromise?   If not... please tell me what it is.  That is merely one example of many many many.

In 1993, Graham repeated this doctrine in an interview with David Frost.
“And I think there is that hunger for God and people are living as best they know how according to the light that they have. Well, I think they’re in a separate category than people like Hitler and people who have just defied God, and shaken their fists at God. … I would say that God, being a God of mercy, we have to rest it right there, and say that God is a God of mercy and love, and how it happens, we don’t know” (The Charlotte Observer, Feb. 16, 1993).