• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Help With Cleaning Out Christian Books

• Members

Since joining the IFB church I'm trying to clean out my library of christian authors that don't line up with IFB teachings. Like Billy Graham. I'd like to read some books by women that are IFB but don't know where to start. Do I pitch books by Joyce Meyers? Pat Robertson? Sheila Walsh?

• Members

Since joining the IFB church I'm trying to clean out my library of christian authors that don't line up with IFB teachings. Like Billy Graham. I'd like to read some books by women that are IFB but don't know where to start. Do I pitch books by Joyce Meyers? Pat Robertson? Sheila Walsh?

A good old book burning might be in order. Do you really want to pass theology to others?

• Members

Yes, burn them, you would not want someone else to read them thinking they were truth.

Had a pastor once, every book in his library, were the author was wrong, he place a note in the margin correcting it. Yet with authors like that they cannot be corrected. And Billy Graham too.

• Members

He is of the reformed, full blood Calvinist.

That is he believes that certain people were born doomed to hell & its impossible for them to be saved. He takes the whosoever out of John 3:16.

I doubt if he believes that, would you like to show me a quote from him that says that?

His writings are critical of other modern Christian movements and ministers such as those who run "seeker-friendly" church services such as Robert Schuller, Bill Hybels, and Rick Warren.[32]
He has also criticized popular mega-church pastor Joel Osteen, whom he has spoken of as a quasi-pantheist and proclaimed his teachings to be Satanic.[33] and Billy Graham, who he has claimed is a is a false teacher who believes in Catholic teachings. [34]
MacArthur believes that Catholicism is "a Satanic religious system that wants to engulf the earth."[35] He does not believe that Roman Catholics are true Christians, and believes that ecumenism will not work because it is "another religion". He said that Roman Catholic "Priests are broken, shattered, tragic, sad, disconnected people; no past, no present, no future. They belittle the sanctity of the marriage relationship. They are denied normal relationships; the friendship of marriage. They are victims of a terrible system with no biblical basis whatsoever. It is a soul-destroying process that leaves them in a situation of rampant temptation, exposure to the worst. And the only way to fulfill these drives is sinfully. And they do not have the restraint of a transformed or sanctified life." Regarding monks, MacArthur says "the inmates, I call them inmates, of monasteries, are unmarried men. Its just bizarre and abnormal. I read today the 50% are homosexual when they get there. The rest have no chance. These people are predators." He says of convents, "I am surprised Amnesty International doesn't raid these places."[35]
In addition he stated that the "theology of Islam is false," and that Allah is the "wrong god
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._MacArthur

• Administrators

lefton, we do need to be careful what we read, comparing it to scripture. If you believe God would have you get rid of those authors, then you should do so. What does your husband say? We have books written by people who are not of "our stripe," but who have hit the nail on the scriptural head in the books they've written.

As to books written by IFB women (for women, obviously), there aren't a whole lot available, for some reason. I do know of a couple of series authored by a lady we know (and thus can vouch for her). Find them here: http://www.starr-publications.com/ The books for men, written by her husband and her son-in-law are also very good.

Another author I can recommend (I know her as well) is Cathy Corle. Find her books here: http://books.fundame...&ProductID=2469

• Members

Touching on what LuAnne said, an author doesn't necessarily have to be of "our stripe" in order to write a worthwhile book. There are good books out there written by Christian authors who are not IFB. As will all things, it's a matter of being careful in what we choose to read, and sometimes of trial and error.

I read a lot so over the course of the years I've come to recognize some that I want to avoid completely, some I'm comfortable reading their works as soon as I see something from them, and I'm also better able to judge a book by it's cover, so to speak, from reading the blurb found on most back covers. That's not to say I never pick up a not-so-good book once in awhile, but it's less often now than years ago.

What I'm getting at is we have to use discernment, biblical discernment with the help of the Holy Ghost. The more rooted and grounded we are in the Word, the more we draw close to the Lord, the better able we are to discern whether a paritcular book or author is worthwhile or not.

Why don't you just leave the books boxed somewhere for a while and continue to search the scriptures, the Holy Spirit will lead you into what is truth and what is fiction. The suggestions from the folks here will help. Also, your local church leadership will have some ideas for good reading and authors. If later you decide to burn the lot you mention then have a hot dog & smores party.