• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shame For A Woman To Speak In Church.

In the church (body of believers present for the corporate worship of God).

Testimony - yes.
Preach/Teach - no.

Robmac, you're not far from me near Marietta, Oh.

• Members

Hello. I am not trying to overstep my authority in the Lord's house, but I have an opinion. We women stand up and give testimonies of our salvation and the goodness of God. If I was asked to pray during the service I would not. I would look to my husband.
My understanding of the verse is that women were not to speak in other tongues. The gift of tongues was for the Jews. I do not believe the author meant that women ought not to speak at all during the service. However, it does state that the woman should ask her husband at home anything she doesn't understand.
I don't believe women are to create a disturbance. I don't believe men should either, but some men take this scripture and run with it. Not showing the love of God and the respect the Lord has for women.
No offense to the men who do treat women respectfully.
The Bible mentions a man and his own house. I believe some things are a little different if the woman is a widow or single.
I believe a woman should be able to shout an amen (as long as she is not too loud) or to sing in the service. I think all of ya'll allow women to sing. That would be in direct disobedience of your verse you are quoting.

Hello. I am not trying to overstep my authority in the Lord's house, but I have an opinion. We women stand up and give testimonies of our salvation and the goodness of God. If I was asked to pray during the service I would not. I would look to my husband.
My understanding of the verse is that women were not to speak in other tongues. The gift of tongues was for the Jews. I do not believe the author meant that women ought not to speak at all during the service. However, it does state that the woman should ask her husband at home anything she doesn't understand.
I don't believe women are to create a disturbance. I don't believe men should either, but some men take this scripture and run with it. Not showing the love of God and the respect the Lord has for women.
The Bible mentions a man and his own house. I believe some things are a little different if the woman is a widow or single.
I believe a woman should be able to shout an amen (as long as she is not too loud) or to sing in the service. I think all of ya'll allow women to sing. That would be in direct disobedience of your verse you are quoting.

You're in trouble now Tabitha...go to your room (just kidding). I appreciate your comments. I wanted to hear from the women at OB.

• Members

I don't have a problem with a woman speaking, per se. What I have a problem with is when she speaks and it is contrary to the Word of God.

From what I see in 1 Corinthians 14, the context is the speaking of tongues. A woman was not permitted to speak in tongues.

A woman is not usurping authority if the pastor of the Church hears what she has to say and gives her permission to share with the Congregation. Throughout the Word of God, we see women used over and over by God. I am reminded of the elect lady in John's second epistle. She had a Church in her house. There is no mention of whether a man or woman was the spiritual leader there, but I tend to believe the woman was or John would have written to a man.

Actually, it would go directly against Scripture if a woman was leading the church in her house. Unless the church was made up entirely of women, that is.

• Members

If it were directly against Scripture, John would have written a reprimand in his epistle. It is clear that he did not.

As I said, if a pastor gives a woman permission to speak, then she is not usurping authority. A woman could lead the services in such a case.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

I think it's also and maybe only, a practical reason. Men are SUPPOSED to be logical while woman are more emotional. Though biblical spirituality has emotion it is good to note that the majority of God's Word is practical and sound doctrine is always practical. Practicality and logic go hand in hand and anyone making sound spiritual (biblical) decisions in any leadership role needs logic and practicality. This includes teaching God's Word. Leadership in any form can never be emotional. Emotional decisions are inevitably bad decisions (not always, but mostly). If one looks at the modern charismatic or denominational churches where woman lead one will always see a higher emotional content rather than a practical and logical biblical one. In this day and age where woman are regarded as equal in the home, the church and the work place we see "harder" woman taking on the roles of men.
My wife is a nurse and as an artist I work from home - more often than not she brings in far more than I do and it is often commented upon by certain family members that I am the "wife" as these days "stay at home dads" are accepted as the norm and with job cuts, etc it is sadly often the case that men have to stay at home. Yet I am the leader of our household. I manage the finances, etc but we share all decision making though I have final say and I am blessed with a wife that very seldom says "I told you so!" :knuppel:
I say all this because a lot of what Paul said concerning woman has been abused by men for selfish reasons and when we put aside our pride, self and personal feelings we will see that men and woman are equal in God's eyes and are just DIFFERENT with different roles to play, neither one less or inferior to the other. Men are just as prone to make emotional decisions as woman are - usually in anger and always in pride, men are just not supposed to be RULED by emotions as woman can be - we are the father, they the mother. We the law giver, they the care giver (and by law I mean spiritual law, not chauvinistic law) and the list goes on.
It's when we reverse these roles that problems arise.

Your right about emotions, yet many calming to be Christians are driven more by emotions than they are God's truths. That is true among both men & women.

• Members

I agree with Dave, your not in trouble, not the least bit, opinions are welcome.

• Members

I agree with this. Really, do some of you folks think Paul was saying that women can't testify, sing, shout praises in church? That somehow that's shameful?

"Let the redeemed of the Lord say so." Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

Funny, I get a different message concerning opinions.

:hijacked:
:ot:

You fail to understand one thing, you tried to drive your opinion on that matter into the ground. You expressed your opinion, kept repeating it, over & over, so the fact is, you expressed your opinion. You would not let go, you even started another topic to keep on expressing the opinion you had already expressed in many post. There is a time to drop topics, I for one was, glad to see it locked.

:11backtotopic:

• Members

Funny, I get a different message concerning opinions.

<snip>

Everyone has opinions on this board. And many post them over and over.

My opinions were not accepted because they were against popular belief.

But the fact is, I had Scripture that clearly backed my opinions.

Oh stop being sore! If everyone agreed with you who would you have to argue with? No one will EVER agree 60% on doctrine, let alone 100% - we tell you where we stand and you ALWAYS tell us where you stand - you don't see us complaining like a child that Johnny got the cake and Suzie didn't. That shows the attitude of a sore loser, a bully and a person that is not 100% behind there own convictions. If you were you would rest easy in the truth. Besides - you give us stuff to think about - it's our own responsibility to check the Word and see whose right - not yours.

• Members

If it were directly against Scripture, John would have written a reprimand in his epistle. It is clear that he did not.

As I said, if a pastor gives a woman permission to speak, then she is not usurping authority. A woman could lead the services in such a case.

How does that fit with a woman keeping silence in church?!

• Members

Here's another
1 Timothy 2:8I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but tobe in silence.

si·lence
noun
absence of any sound or noise; stillness.
the state or fact of being silent; muteness.

Word Origin & History
silence

early 13c., from O.Fr. silence "absence of sound," from L. silentium "a being silent," from silens, prp. of silere "be quiet or still," of unknown origin. Replaced O.E. swige. The verb (trans.) is attested from 1590s, from the noun. Silencer "mechanism that stifles the sound of a motor or firearm" first

I don't know, It just appears to be saying just what it says. nothing more and nothing less. "Testifying" is not "absence of sound" or "quiet" So, I'm still not settled on this; why allow one without the other?