• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Arkansas football coach Petrino didn't want 911 call, called security

• Members
Arkansas football coach Petrino didn't want 911 call, called security

Our football coach had messed up, & kept digging, by lying.

He had a motorcycle wreck, the young woman who he hired just last week as Razorback Foundation assistant director, 25 years of age, was on the cycle with him, it seems he tied to cover this up, lying to his boss, & perhaps the police. It appears they were having an affair, he is married, & she is engaged to be married.

It seems most fans think they should not fire him, that this has no affect on his coaching.

I have no idea what they will do, yet I feel they may put football 1st. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

On two different football forums, die hard Razorback fans seems ready to fight anyone who says the coach must be fired. The fellow that did call 911 has been threatened, The die hards says he ought to mind his own business.

Personally I think our coach should be fired, yet I feel with the hope of him producing many wins, they will not fire him.

And of course they blame the 25 year old, that him being her boss, having hired her 6 days or so ago, that she took advantage of him.

Will winning save Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino?

• Members

Sad to say, but for many sports is their religion and they are willing to fight, regardless of common sense or consequences, for what they see their sports heroes, their team saviours.

This even afflicts many professing Christians. I've often heard professing Christians go all out defending the undefensible actions of some sports "hero" yet you would never hear them speak up for Christ.

• Members

The issue is not whether he had an affair. That is the most minor of his problems. If it were just an affair, it might be "forgiven" and he might survive.

However, the affair was with someone that he hired...a subordinate. This opens the University up to legal problems. This impacts the University as a whole. It is not just an embarrassment, but this has many legal implications. Did somone else not get the job because he hired his mistress? Did his mistress sleep with him to get the job? Are there any potential sexual harrassment claims?

Then there are the contractual issues. Did he breach his contract? If not, someone is going to have to come up with millions of dollars to buy out his contract. People are not going to be happy about that. Is it just an affair, or did he open the University to potential legal claims? Is that a breach of his contract?

What all of this comes down to is 1) did he breach his contract? If the answer is no, then he cannot be fired unless a lot of money is paid. I suspect there he did violate his contract in some way, so the answer then becomes 2) what do we do about it?

Firing him does not only impact his life. It impacts his recruits, the coaches he hired who picked up and left good jobs to join him, it impacts those who have to pitch in money to buy out his contract, if that is necessary. He has two Heisman trophy candidates on his team....if he is fired and the team suffers due to lack of leadership, it will have a direct impact on the players lives.

There are many complex issues here. It is not about whether he committed immoral actions, which he did. It is about so much more than that, and this impacts the lives of so many more people.

These are the issues that the University must be concerned about. Jeff Long is put in a very difficult position. This is not an easy decision that must be made. All of the hype about this is about winning, is not true. This is not about winning and losing. It is about protecting the University and minimizing harm to the many people who will be impacted by his foolish decisions.

• Members

I'm surprised, they fired our coach, will be many unhappy Razorback fans.

Coach Fired

Perhaps they learned from other scandals that it only makes things worse to try and cover up, clean up or hope they can drag things out until people forget. Best to deal with the situation quickly and clearly. There will still be damage, but less than there would be taking another course of action.

Absolutely correct. Cover ups just cause more trouble.

But with what Mr. Long reviled it seemed he had no choice, & you can tell he hated that this coach put him in such a position.

The president of Ohio State, Gordon Gee, didn't want to fire Tressel either but the coach was caught in a lie so he had to go. Arkansas will find another coach.