• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Since I have only posted in this thread I will say this here...

I am leaving this forum. I came here looking for answers but instead I was hurt by how hateful some of you seem to be.

None of this has changed my thinking of my mother in law, or any other IFBs.
I was very much looking forward to visiting my mother in laws church (a IFB one) but now I will never set foot in one and neither is my husband (who agrees with me)

I pray Gods blessing on you, even though it is hard for me to ask Him that.

• Members

Its a shame you would use a bad experience on a message board with strangers to discourage you to attend church with a family member. I hope you'll reconsider and will attend the church with your family.

• Moderators

This makes me very angry that you were hurt here, and sad that (for whatever reasons) you will never go to an IFB church. I was so very blessed by finding mine - I never knew churches like that existed! I know that each IFB church is different, though, and there are some I'd never attend. Please don't lump them all into the same pot. :(

Edited by salyan

• Members

Since I have only posted in this thread I will say this here...

I am leaving this forum. I came here looking for answers but instead I was hurt by how hateful some of you seem to be.

I was very much looking forward to visiting my mother in laws church (a IFB one) but now I will never set foot in one and neither is my husband (who agrees with me)

I pray Gods blessing on you, even though it is hard for me to ask Him that.

This is a difficult post for me to write, as I have a deep concern for you, and I'm not sure how to express it using a keyboard because we can't just sit and talk. In the end, you'll have to make your own decision based on how the Holy Spirit leads you.

Please be careful and be sure that satan isn't using some posts here (and whatever the other situations are) influence your thinking. As we're all subject to our own human emotions, it is easy for him to trigger a negative response when none is needed. Or, for him to trigger a negative reaction far greater than how we should react. I know. I'm speaking from far too much experience with that. (sigh) Even today, I use the phrase "satan get behind me" quite often when I react to things I should ignore, especially when I'm tired.

For example, there's a lady at church who gets on my last nerve. She means well but she has a way about her that's hard to take sometimes. I don't have the option of avoiding her as we work together on several ministries. Yes, I could make the choice to stay away from those ministries. If I take that choice, then I'm actually taking a bite from satan's apple because he's defeated my desire to serve the Lord with those ministry opportunities. If I do that, I'm allowing another person to have more influence over my life than the guidance (influence) of the Holy Spirit. Satan get behind me. I will NOT allow you to defeat me over something so immaterial in my life, as the grating remarks this worman can sometimes make.

If we let him, satan can use and does use Bible issues to come between us and our Lord. If we let him, he will drive in a wedge deeper and deeper into our faith in God ... between members in the body of Christ. If you and I fight over the differences between the KJV and the NIV doesn't that serve his purpose? If our fight can keep you from visiting a Baptist church, doesn't that serve his purpose? IMHO, Satan will do everything he can to keep you from hearing God's word and from fellowship with other believers in Jesus Christ.

I don't know if your MIL's church is the right one for you to attend. Only the Holy Spirit can help you determine that for yourself. Just don't let satan use any opportunity to make that determination for you. Don't let satan set a stumbling block in your path that keeps you from at least visiting a church and learning, for yourself, AND allowing the Holy Spirit to guide in your decision.

I pray that these words come across the way that I intend. I wish we could sit around a kitchen table and share a cup of coffee or tea and simply talk. Then, end our conversation with each praying for the other and thanking the Lord for the opportunity to share our faith.

I pray for God's blessing on you without any reservations. May the Lord draw you even closer to Him in your walk of faith.

• Members

I do not think satan is behind my decision, I will never ever leave the church and I will never stop reading the Bible.... I absolutely am still going to a Baptist church (just Baptist, not an independent one, just plain Baptist) and I continually read Gods Word.

I just don't think and IBF church is the right one for me. or that the forum is the place I need to be.

• Members

I do not think satan is behind my decision, I will never ever leave the church and I will never stop reading the Bible.... I absolutely am still going to a Baptist church (just Baptist, not an independent one, just plain Baptist) and I continually read Gods Word.

I just don't think and IBF church is the right one for me. or that the forum is the place I need to be.

One thing to consider with regard to IFB churches is that since they are independent, they are not all the same. We should each attend the church God leads us to. If at some time in the future it seems you and your husband are being led to an IFB church, I would hope you would visit the church and learn some about it rather than rejecting it simply because its IFB.

In the area I live, the few IFB churches have gone different directions and I would not recommend any of them. The Baptist church we once attended closed it's door years ago. We now attend an independent, conservative, non-denominational church which is pastored by a Baptist trained pastor and associate pastor.

I'm glad you stopped by here and am sad that you are leaving so soon.

• Members

One thing to consider with regard to IFB churches is that since they are independent, they are not all the same. We should each attend the church God leads us to. If at some time in the future it seems you and your husband are being led to an IFB church, I would hope you would visit the church and learn some about it rather than rejecting it simply because its IFB.

In the area I live, the few IFB churches have gone different directions and I would not recommend any of them. The Baptist church we once attended closed it's door years ago. We now attend an independent, conservative, non-denominational church which is pastored by a Baptist trained pastor and associate pastor.

I'm glad you stopped by here and am sad that you are leaving so soon.

If my husband and I feel lead to attend an IFB church then I will do what God wants, I don't know if He ever will, but we will see.

• Members

If my husband and I feel lead to attend an IFB church then I will do what God wants, I don't know if He ever will, but we will see.

As long as we are open and willing to follow God's leading, that's what matters. As I mentioned, we are not currently in an IFB church. We wouldn't leave the church we are in now unless the Lord directed us to.

It's not so much as what name is on the church, it's whether that church preaches the Gospel and teaches the congregation to live according to the Word; and that it's the church God leads us to attend.

• Members

As long as we are open and willing to follow God's leading, that's what matters. As I mentioned, we are not currently in an IFB church. We wouldn't leave the church we are in now unless the Lord directed us to.

It's not so much as what name is on the church, it's whether that church preaches the Gospel and teaches the congregation to live according to the Word; and that it's the church God leads us to attend.

This bears repeating with emphasis!
:goodpost::amen: :sSig_praiseGod:

Bye. Maybe you will check in again and see a discussion to join other than Bible versions. You've caused me to consider rewriting my personal statement of faith for "The Word of God." I don't have the time at present but, as you see, you have made an influence on others.

• Members

Bye. Maybe you will check in again and see a discussion to join other than Bible versions. You've caused me to consider rewriting my personal statement of faith for "The Word of God." I don't have the time at present but, as you see, you have made an influence on others.

What do you mean?

• Members

I see in your Bio you state:

• came here looking for answers, not to be slammed down for daring to use a Bible other than King James.

Remember that our growth is directly effected by the offense we take and hold onto. I also have a very strong aversion to many of the attitudes presented on this forum concerning some IFB doctrinal points, but as John stated:

If the Lord has not yet convicted you in your heart concerning the Bible you use then keep on using it!!! No one can force a doctrinal point on you and you can not judge a group by the attitudes and actions of a few individuals. I myself used a NKJV (they hate this one just as much) for years in a staunch IFB church and refused to budge until through study and heart felt conviction I was convinced otherwise. Many IFB's use there "separatism" and "doctrinal megalomania" as a crutch to support some very way off doctrines based on personal preference. Please do not use these to judge the rest of us and allow your heart to soften and your skin to thicken - you need very thick skin here sometimes as many like to :boxing: and to :knuppel: and many of us just take it with a :coffee2: and allow God to do His thing. So I would hang around and learn a thing or two - always testing it with the Word and just ignore the die hards that could learn a thing or two about charity and compassion. And remember this too, the written word can seem a lot harder than a friendly face and spoken voice - some come across hard in their writing but aren't all that bad in person.

God Bless and trust in the Lord and He will guide you.

• Members

What do you mean?

First, I can't answer for 1Tim115. Each of us has to react/respond as based on our own convictions. 1Tim's opinion may be much different from mine. Nor am I saying that if our views are different that I'm anymore right or wrong than he may be. We both may be right, we both may be wrong, or some combo in God's sight.

With your bolded comment above, may I ask a question? Who's guiding that decision not to visit a Baptist church? Is the Holy spirit guiding you or are you reacting with human emotions because you don't agree with another human's opinion(s)? You said you were looking forward to visiting your MIL's church. Now you're making an iron clad statement that you will NOT visit her church.

IMHO, there's a very large difference between visiting another church in our faith and becoming a member of that church. When you say that you won't set foot into a particular church, you are in essence saying that you reject what they believe. We're not talking about a Christian participating in worship services in one of the eastern religions. At this point in my life I have no intentions of participating in a Hindu, Buddist, or Muslin acts of worship, for example.

Within our reasonable driving area there are an untold number of Baptist churches. While I do not agree with some of their approaches to faith, I'm sure there are members of the body of Christ attending those. I can't find it within myself to condem them because they don't agree with me. Condem them to the point that I wouldn't set foot in their church at the invitation of a family member for a simple visit. I'm judging them, based on my own yardstick. I'm judging them, based on opinions I've formed from what I've heard about them. Rather than letting the Lord use me for His purposes. Accepting the invitation to visit, may be have within it the opportunity to help someone else or could be the Lord's way of leading me to a deeper understanding, myself.

One thing for sure is that I can testify that the invitation to visit a Baptist church has changed my life.

And, no, I don't agree with everything that happens at my church. At this stage I don't know how much of that is my own lack of maturity in my walk with the Lord. I've already learned, with the help of the Lord, some things I thought I believed were not TRUTH. That includes the application of "Judge Not least ye be judged also". Simply put, I'd forgotten the verses that follow that one. Maybe failed to study those following verses is a better way to word it.

As to the second quote above. 1Tim made a good point. Discussions, like the ones in question here, help IMHO, for each one of us to fine tune our own statements of faith. I know they do my own. When someone disagrees with me, it forces me to take a deeper and harder look at what I really do believe. (This is a matter of choice. Choose to focus on the subject, with the Holy Spirit's guidance or reject it simply because I don't agree.) Once I do that, it either strenghtens my own beliefs or forces me to reconsider if my own stubborn attitude is causing me to miss something the Holy Spirit is waiting to reveal when I'm ready to listen to Him.

I see that 2Tim215 has replied while I'm writing this post. IMHO, he's done a better job than I have in conveying his thoughts, than I have my own.

May the Lord bless you and guide you, as an individual member of His Church. Agreement or disagreement with other people, whether spouses, inlaws, strangers on forums, or anyone else comes second to what the Lord wants from your life. Edited by Oldtimer