• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jimmy Carter supports same-sex ‘marriage’ as he launches his new Bible

• Members

Jimmy Carter supports same-sex ‘marriage’ as he launches his new Bible

by Ben Johnson

• Wed Mar 21, 2012 07:03 EST

ATLANTA, GEORGIA, March 20, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – Former president Jimmy Carter has been strongly identified as a “Born Again” Christian and as a liberal Democrat for nearly five decades. He is once more blending those roles as he promotes “his” latest book, his own study Bible.
JimmyCarter-LFLStudyBible25-198x300.jpg

The NIV Lessons from Life Bible: Personal Reflections with Jimmy Carter contains the full text of the New International Version of the Bible and the former president’s prayers, reflections, and asides.
During his book tour to promote a study of the Scriptures, Carter mentioned he supports same-sex “marriage.”
President Carter told Paul Brandeis Raushenbush, senior religion editor of The Huffington Post:

Homosexuality was well known in the ancie
nt
world, well before Christ was born and Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. In all of his teachings about multiple things – he never said that gay people should be condemned.
I personally think it is very fine for gay people to be married in civil ceremonies
. (Emphasis added.)

However, he said he drew the line, “maybe arbitrarily, in requiring by law that churches must marry people.”
“If a church decides not to, then government laws shouldn’t require them to,” he said, adding his own church accepts “gay members on an equal basis.”
When Raushenbush pressed him about whether he believed the Bible is God’s word, Carter answered, “the basic principles of the Bible are taught by God, but written down by human beings deprived of modern day knowledge. So there is some fallibility in the writings of the Bible. But the basic principles are applicable to my life and I don’t find any conflict among them.”
“There are many verses in the Bible that you could interpret very rigidly,” Carter said, “and that makes you ultimately into a fundamentalist.”
“Fundamentalists,” he wrote in his 2005 book Our Endangered Values, tend “to demagogue emotional issues” and “are often angry and sometimes resort to verbal or even physical abuse against those who interfere with the implementation of their agenda.” Carter applied this term to figures as divergent as the Ayatollah Khomeini and Pope John Paul II, to atheist neoconservatives and his fellow Baptists.
He contended the “mandated subservience of women by Christian fundamentalists” contributes to the Islamic practice of female genital mutilation.
Carter wrote that he exchanged harsh words with the late Pope John Paul II during a state visit over what Carter classified as the Pope’s “perpetuation of the subservience of women.” He added, “there was more harshness when we turned to the subject of ‘liberation theology’.”
The former president, who has released recordings of the Sunday School classes he teaches and written previous books about the Bible, disassociated himself from the Southern Baptist Convention in 2000. He and former President Bill Clinton attempted to realign the Baptist faith in a more liberal direction by calling for a new Baptist convention in 2008. The formation of this new Baptist body, he wrote, constituted an “historic event for the Baptists in this country and perhaps for Christianity.”
Carter, whose single term in office was marred by turbulence at home and abroad, has denounced those who disagree with his political views in strident terms.
Pro-lifers, Carter wrote, “do not extend their concern to the baby who is born.” He instead suggested the nation support contraceptive sex education, taxpayer funding of international “family planning,” and embryonic stem cell research.
In addition to nuptial vows, Carter encouraged the military to end the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy in 2007, and in 2010, he told the website Big Think it was time to elect “a gay person” as president.
The new study Bible, published by Zondervan, is available from bookstores nationwide.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jimmy-carter-supports-same-sex-marriage-as-he-launches-his-new-bible?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=b1999a960a-LifeSiteNews_com_US_Headlines_03_20_2012&utm_medium=email

• Members

You know I think its personally fine that Gays and Lesbians goes into civil unions however, it don't make the in the right when it comes to traditional family and marriage values in a Christian lifestyle and home. I believe if you want to be in a traditional marriage or called a traditional marriage you have to be in one man one woman relationship, I do however believe that Gays and lesbians that are marrying are non traditional marriages and should not be married into a church setting, but at the same time there are churches that do marry them.

• Members

You know I think its personally fine that Gays and Lesbians goes into civil unions however, it don't make the in the right when it comes to traditional family and marriage values in a Christian lifestyle and home. I believe if you want to be in a traditional marriage or called a traditional marriage you have to be in one man one woman relationship, I do however believe that Gays and lesbians that are marrying are non traditional marriages and should not be married into a church setting, but at the same time there are churches that do marry them.

A "civil union" is virtually the same as marriage and in every case where such gets approved "homosexual marriage" has been pushed and in some cased forced upon the State.

• Members

A "civil union" is virtually the same as marriage and in every case where such gets approved "homosexual marriage" has been pushed and in some cased forced upon the State.

There is no difference. Just double-speak to ease the consciences of those who want to sit on the fence. Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

Le 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

1Ki 14:24 And there were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.

Ro 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Ro 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1Co 6:9 ¶ Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

I can in no manner condone such a vile sin that God calls an abomination. And I fail to understand how any God fearing Christian can in any manner condone such an abomination.

It was sicking to think of many years ago, & its the same now.

There's people that are going to fulfill the lust of the flesh in any manner they wish, & commit such abomination, yet there's no need for God's children to condone it in any manner. We should take a stand against ALL sin, And we should in no way help or encourage any sin. Being for legal marriages of homosexuals is encouraging & helping them enjoy their sins.

Sin is ugly, what ever sin it is is ugly, there is nothing good that comes from sin. Just how ugly is sin? Them picture the sight of our Savior went on that day some 2,0000 years ago when He gave His life, that we might have life.

The price for sin came at a very great expense, the souls of mankind has been the most costly thing that has ever been bought & paid for on this earth.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2Co 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Mistreat & harm them no, condone their sin in any manner, no, offer the Gospel to them when possible, yes, mock & ridicule them no.

Reprove them, yes.

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

"Christians" like Carter denounce, even attack, those Christians and churches which actually follow the Bible, which they refuse to accept, yet they want to call themselves Christians so they seek to form new churches more to their liking, which pick and choose what they will accept and ignore from Scripture.

Itching ears in action and those tickling the ears in action.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

People like Jimmy Carter are the reason I do not believe politicians who tell me they are a Christian.
Their actions that follow after their election have invariably justified my unbelief. So I guess you can call me a cynic.

God bless,
Larry

So true, they constantly contradict Bible teachings, using God to get elected, they hold to only a form of godliness. Yet many that profess Christ keeps supporting them, & if you point out their contradiction fellow Christians are not very nice to you.

• Members

So true, they constantly contradict Bible teachings, using God to get elected, they hold to only a form of godliness. Yet many that profess Christ keeps supporting them, & if you point out their contradiction fellow Christians are not very nice to you.

Not to mention that today many professing Christians, including Christian "leaders" that should know better, now call Catholics and Mormons Christians worthy of our support.