• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pumpkin Pie

• Members

Hi all,

Just wanted to say I finally got to taste a Pumpkin pie made by my American Pastor's wife. Wow!!!! I could never understand why anyone would put a vegetable in a dessert and now I know why. It is delicious. I am a little shocked that you guys have canned pumpkin, never heard of it being canned, but nevertheless pupmkin pie will be made in my home from time to time.

• Members

I have never had pumpkin, I think my daughter gave us pumpkin soup once but that was out of a packet.

A missionary returning from Japan, once gave me some Japanese pumpkin seeds. These grew green striped pumpkins, wich I did nothing with as didn't know wjat to do with them. In the end they rotted.

• Members

Ohhh that is such a shame, Pumpkin is delicious baked like a potato, cooked and then mashed like mash potato or my favourite steamed.

I have never had sweet potato pie, but I don't like sweet potato normally.

Edited by blossom

• Members

Ohhh that is such a shame, Pumpkin is delicious baked like a potatoe, cooked and then mashed like mash potatoe or my favourite steamed.

I have never had sweet potatoe pie, but I don't like sweet potatoe normally.

To me, most well cooked sweet potato pie tastes a lot like pumpkin pie.

I don't care for zuccini but I love zuccini bread!

• Members

I've never had zuchinni bread and like you I don't particularly like zuchinni but if you grate it with carrot, add a little butter, garlic and some herbs, then fry in a pan for about 3 mins, it is delicious. You can also cook it in the microwave but I prefer it in the pan.

Edited by blossom

• Members

I made ratatouille for lunch today.

Contains courgettes (zuchinni) onions, red pepper, aubergine, in more or less equal parts, tomatoes, I use a can, garlic, all chopped and softened in Olive oil, with herbs, try basil thyme and parsley. You could also try oregano and rosemary. Simmer for an hour or two. No need to add liquid.

Any left over can be made into Provençal tarte. Take a sheet of puff or flaky pastry, save enough to make a lattice on top. Spread the pastry on a baking tray and turn over the edges by about ½" or a cm or so. Drain any excess liquid from your ratatouille and spread over the pastry. Roll out the saved pastry and cut into strips and make a lattice, add a Greek style black olive to each section and bake until pastry is cooked.

Edited by Invicta

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

There's no comparison between a good sweet potato pie and a raw sweet tater from the store. Between pumpkin pie and sweet potato, I prefer the latter. The flavor is richer, IMHO.

Zuchinni - one of my favorite ways to eat this is to grill it. Either cut in quarters lenghtwise, slices lengthwise, or cut rings (ovals) on a diagional. Toss with a little canola oil, salt, pepper, and any dry herbs that you like with vegetables. Put on the grill with a medium heat. Let grill marks develop before turning the pieces. It's done when tender. Best enjoyed while still hot.

Another grill method is to use a grill pan and stir fry zuchinni (and or yellow summer squash) with onions. (Grill pan is a thin metal wok or skillet shaped pan that has holes in it and is designed to use on a grill, for pieces that are too small to lay directly on the grill.) Again, toss ingredients with a little oil and add your favorite seasonings. This makes a good side dish to go along with hamburgers, for example.

• Members

I don't like zuchinni, courgettes, on their own. We used to do Courgettes a la Provençal. Courgettes can also be finely grated and added to finely grated carrot with dressing and used as salad.

• Moderators

Ohhh that is such a shame, Pumpkin is delicious baked like a potato, cooked and then mashed like mash potato or my favourite steamed.

I have never had sweet potato pie, but I don't like sweet potato normally.

I never used to like sweet potato either, but in pied it was good!

• Administrators

I love pumpkin pie, but don't care for sweet potato pie (I can taste the difference). We've also made squash pie, in the same manner as pumpkin. It tastes great, too.

I also like pumpkin bread and zuchinni bread. I love zucchini just about any way it can be fixed. In past years, when we've grown them (or when friends have and given them to us) and they have gotten a bit too big, I slice them in half, seed them, and then fill the insides with a hamburger mixture similar to sloppy joes and bake. Once the zuchinni has backed to appropriate softness, add cheese and put back into the oven til melted. It's really very good!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Any easy recipe for a pumpkin pie? Is pumpkin the same as squash? can I just use squash? I have a diffiiculty recognizing a pumpkin and a squash..... Here we saute squash with string beans, in onions and tomatoes and eat with rice. I would love to taste a pumpkin pie. :))

• Members

Any easy recipe for a pumpkin pie? Is pumpkin the same as squash? can I just use squash? I have a diffiiculty recognizing a pumpkin and a squash..... Here we saute squash with string beans, in onions and tomatoes and eat with rice. I would love to taste a pumpkin pie. :))

Pumpkin is a type of squash and is round and orange in colour. It can weigh up to 1cwt, or about 50 kilos. Although I was one given seeds of a Japanese pumpkin produced green and yellow striped pumpkins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin Edited by Invicta