• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paycheck for fulltime worker? Is it Biblical?

• Members

In Acts 20, we see Paul sending a message to the elders of the Church in Ephesus asking them to come to Miletus. When they arrive, Paul begins a dissertation, part of which reveals that Paul earned his own living and instructed the elders of the Church at Ephesus to do likewise:

Acts 20:33-35 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Paul clearly reveals to the Church at Corinth that he did not receive wages from them:

2 Corinthians 11:8-9 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service. And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.

When he was at Corinth, he did not accept pay from them, but those who came from Macedonia brought him wages. And he considered that to be robbing the Macedonians.

In Thessalonika, Paul again reveals that he did not receive wages from the congregation there, but worked night and day to make his living:

1 Thessalonians 2:9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God.

And why did Paul live in such a way? not wanting a salary of the Churches? To set an example how the leaders of the Church were to live... working for their living, not being a burden to the congregation. Paul taught the overseers of the Church that they should work for their living, not to be chargeable to any man.

Paul told the Church at Corinth that if he received wages of them he would be hindering the Gospel of Christ. That speaks volumes. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Then you're saying you do not believe in anyone being in full-time ministry, because full-time ministry denotes spending "full time" in the ministry, rather than in a secular job....

• Members

Anyone who is called into the ministry is called into it full time. God doesn't give someone half a heart or half a desire to preach His Word.

But as Paul clearly demonstrates in the Epistles, one can be fully into the ministry and still work with the hands to make a living.

Back in the 80's, I had a full time job working labor in construction. But I was also ministering well before my ordination. My boss at the construction site recognized my ministry and if there was a need for me to leave the job to minister somewhere (whether to the sick or in minister's conferences) he always gave me leave; recognizing that God's work was more important than my labor at the site.

But I still worked, overtime if necessary, to earn my living so as not to burden any of the brethren. After my ordination, I continued working as well as pastoring my flock so as not to be chargeable to them, nor to burden them.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Anyone who is called into the ministry is called into it full time. God doesn't give someone half a heart or half a desire to preach His Word.

But as Paul clearly demonstrates in the Epistles, one can be fully into the ministry and still work with the hands to make a living.

Back in the 80's, I had a full time job working labor in construction. But I was also ministering well before my ordination. My boss at the construction site recognized my ministry and if there was a need for me to leave the job to minister somewhere (whether to the sick or in minister's conferences) he always gave me leave; recognizing that God's work was more important than my labor at the site.

But I still worked, overtime if necessary, to earn my living so as not to burden any of the brethren. After my ordination, I continued working as well as pastoring my flock so as not to be chargeable to them, nor to burden them.

I used to have a book entitled Secular work is full time service. I don't have it now and I don't know what happened to it.

• Members

Just curious here, Why did you have an ordination and in which congregation was this?

• Members

Why not an ordination? I answered the call to the ministry, was proven behind the pulpit and in the field. The ordination is a state requirement if one wants to officiate in marriages and funerals.

The ordination also opened doors for me to minister in prisons once a month, which I did in both the state of Virginia (Lorton Correctional Facility, Prince William County Jail) and North Carolina (Asheboro Correctional Facility, Randleman City Jail). Without legal paperwork, I was unable to minister in the Virginia Correction Systems because of my status as a convicted felon in the state of Virginia. But because of my ordination, and God's moving mountains out of the way, I was able to minister in those facility's for many years.

• Members

I don't think anyone is saying that you were wrong, SFIC, for working while you ministered. I know many pastors have to do that. However, we ARE saying it is wrong for you to condemn pastors who are supported by their churches, since there is Biblical basis for it. It costs a lot to live in some areas. Around here, many people are required to work Sundays or they lose their jobs, or they work long hours and barely have time to do their church ministries, let alone be the pastor.

Sometimes I think it would be NICE if we were "regular people" with "regular jobs" and just had to show up on Sunday like everyone else, you know? But God didn't call us to that. God called us here FULL TIME. We live, work, eat, sleep on church property. I do work a job to help the family because it is very expensive to live here, especially to provide the kids with Christian schooling. If it weren't for the parsonage, we wouldn't even be able to afford to LIVE here, most likely, because of the amount of hours and type of job it would require to be able to afford the $300,000 homes here (that's a regular family home in a regular neighborhood, nothing fancy.)

It is not your job to tell others what God called them to do, and what God did not call them to do. Great job for how you life your life, its how God called you, evidently. Well...God calls other people to be paid full time in their church. If you are not jealous or bitter over that, then there should be no reason for it to upset you, because there is Biblical basis for it. Paul himself shows that some can work, but some are supported by the church....both options can be okay depending on God's calling in your life.

• Members

I followed Paul's example and instruction to Church leaders.

In view of how Paul lived and told the leaders of the Church to work for their living, (and how Paul said taking a wage would be a hinderance for the Gospel) I cannot see how one can say that God wants them to expect the congregation to pay for their living.

Even in 1 Timothy, where we see Paul referring to the Old Testament (thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth the corn) we see the ox working for his living. The one working the ox is not to muzzle the ox, or prevent him from using his own strength to obtain his food.

Likewise, the congregation is not to prevent the Church leader from working for his own food.

The laborer worthy of double honour has nothing whatsoever to do with salary. It is speaking of rewards. Reward the pastor when the Spirit so leads, whether it be with food or money.

But there is no Scriptural basis for a Church leader taking a salary from his congregation.

What God has called others to do is written in His Holy Word. Many just don't like that guideline and would rather do things their own way.

• Members

The OP did a great job of showing the Scriptural backing for a pastor's salary. Read it again, and agree to disagree if you like. Its not "our own way", its God's way.