• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did God Say to Blow Your Tithe Money on Beer in Deuteronomy?

• Members

Leviticus 10:8-11 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, saying, Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations: And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean; And that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.

An interesting thought concerning Leviticus 10:8-11...
This passage says nothing about drunkenness, only the drinking of fermented drink. God says "Don't drink it" Why? So that their judgment is not blurred; so that they can differentiate between holy and unholy.

Obviously, God knew even a swallow of alcohol was enough to deceive the one who drinks. He wanted the Priest's minds to be focused on the things of God completely. One drink apparently was enough to deceive a man as Solomon rightly wrote (Proverbs 20:1)

Since the drinking of alcohol obviously would cause the priest to err in judgment, how can we today say that we are allowed to drink ourselves? We, as children of God, should have the desire to do that which is pleasing to the Lord. We should endeavor to keep from alcohol so that we may know the difference between holy and unholy.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Sorry 2Tim, but I have to disagree with you on your interpretation of Hosea 4:11

Hosea 4:11 is not speaking of drunkenness at all. It is speaking of the heart turning toward something other than God.

In Hosea, the heart is turned from God and to whoredom, wine, and new wine.

New wine in that verse is tiroshe, which is always interpreted as a grape juice and not as an alcohol.

I stand corrected.

• Members

For the most part I agreed with your post, except for the interpretation of Hosea 4:11.

If it is any consolation, at one time I thought that verse was about drunkenness, but a close study of it and the word "tirosh" caused me to rethink my thinking. lol

Had a closer look and agree with your assessment. With the amount of wine, strong drink, adultery, etc, etc in the Bible with Gods chosen people, one can't but wonder why He hasn't destroyed us all yet.

• Members

I'm probably in the minority who think wine means wine, not grape juice, in the bible and alcohol can be consumed in moderation. Yet at the same time I think in present day America Christians should avoid this because the unbelievers on the most part think you should avoid it and in America alcohol has a reputation of being the "devil's drink". At least it did at one time. I've also heard that the alcohol content of modern day alcohol as way beyond the content of alcohol in booze back in the old days.

• Members

And yet, the Word of God warns us against even looking upon fermented wine because of its deceptive qualities.

If we were to buy into your theory, we would have to come to the conclusion that God is just playing a game with us people on Earth. Telling some to drink alcohol while telling others not to experience it, nor to approve of it.

Interesting.

• Members

Consuming alcohol in moderation is a lie from the devil. How much is considered drinking "in moderation"? The idea that a "little bit won't hurt" (the lie of drinking in moderation) is deceptive and "whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise"!

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Alcohol is called an "intoxicant" for a reason. It is "toxic". Jesus didn't drink it, nor did He turn the water into fermented wine.

Edited by LindaR

• Members

Since Scripture is full of warnings against fermented drink, why would God tell someone they could buy and drink it?

Same reason God gave the children of Israel quail when they complained about the manna. Same reason divorce was permitted, multiple, marriages were permitted, concubines were permitted, etc. None of that was wise or Gods perfect will, but it was allowed because of the hardness of the heart of men. God tolerating and permitting something is not the same as God endorsing it.

• Members

Consuming alcohol in moderation is a lie from the devil. How much is considered drinking "in moderation"? The idea that a "little bit won't hurt" (the lie of drinking in moderation) is deceptive and "whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise"!

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Alcohol is called an "intoxicant" for a reason. It is "toxic". Jesus didn't drink it, nor did He turn the water into fermented wine.

I don't know. What is moderation in anything? I guess it's between that Christian and his God to decide.

By the way, you can become intoxicated by drinking too much water also.

• Members

Same reason God gave the children of Israel quail when they complained about the manna. Same reason divorce was permitted, multiple, marriages were permitted, concubines were permitted, etc. None of that was wise or Gods perfect will, but it was allowed because of the hardness of the heart of men. God tolerating and permitting something is not the same as God endorsing it.

Yeah, this is good. Like it says in Acts that in the past God "wink" at some behavior but now commands all men to repent.