• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

In His wonderful grace the Lord has provided us with a new used car! It's a 1993 Chrysler Concorde with nearly 200,000 miles but it's in great condition. The Lord even provided for a new battery and the new license plates!

Praise and glory to our Heavenly Father!!!

• Members

Our pastor put us in touch with a Christian ministry across the river which helps Christians in need get cars. What a wonderful blessing!

And I spent 2 1/2 to 3 hours pushing my mower today and much of that time was spent in refreshing, blessed prayer and communion with the Lord! :clap:

• Members
Our pastor put us in touch with a Christian ministry across the river which helps Christians in need get cars. What a wonderful blessing!

And I spent 2 1/2 to 3 hours pushing my mower today and much of that time was spent in refreshing, blessed prayer and communion with the Lord! :clap:

Many Christians don't know how it is to be proud of something old, nor what its really like to have needs and not have the money to cover them. Seems to me many of them are doing all they can to out do one another in buying earthly possessions.

I know that I'm driving a 92 S-10 Chevy Blazer 4 X 4 that I bought new, its now in disrepair, that is its not pretty to look at. Some of the paint came off and I sanded those spots down and used can spray paint. Many people would not be caught dead in it, I know this from the looks they give me. But that don't bother me, I'm proud to have it and feel very blessed that I've got it.

Linda and I had been very fortunate up until I became disable, since them the money has been sparse, its given us a new outlook on what is really important.

11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Phil 4:11-12 (KJV)

8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 Tim 6:8-10 (KJV)

5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Heb 13:5 (KJV)

How many do you suppose have really learned to be content and or got to a point that they're content? I know of a very few who have, but most are neck deep in debt trying to have many earthly possession and if they could borrow more money in order to have more they would. I also know this is an unpopular subject.

Oh, hope it gets better gas millage than your other car. My old blazer gets about 23 MPH.

• Members

John that is fantastic. The Lord surely blesses his own.

Jerry, do you think the discontentedness (of which I ashamedly suffer) is because these generations have not suffered hard times or war to the scale of the older generations?? Not that this is an excuse but unless one has experienced it, it is very hard to know.

Blossom

• Members

That would be part of it and makes for a great excuses, but the biggest part it not following Jesus close enough, that is we have never got close enough to Him to be content, that and we are acting to much like worldly people trying to gather up all the money and possession possible.

24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matt 16:24 (KJV)

• Members

We finished Hebrews in our Sunday school today and our pastor touched on the contentment issue. He pointed out how he believes this verse is especially important for us in America today. We live in a society that says, "get all you can and then get more!".

Our pastor also brought up something which I'm thankful to have learned some years ago, and that is that no matter how bad it might seem I have it, there are so many others on the planet that would do almost anything to trade places with me. Pastor pointed out that if have a flushing toilet we are better off than over half the planet.

We've had several "bad" years. Our house is in need of repairs we can't afford, but we have a house that is our home. We are now a two car family again, something we haven't been for about 10 years. Granted one car is on its last legs but it runs and is serving a purpose; and the other car has nearly 200,000 miles on it and isn't perfect, but it seems reliable for the time being. Praise God! We can't afford to buy the exact food we would always like to have but we have never gone hungry. I could go on, but the point is, while our situation probably doesn't look good to many Americans, there are at least a billion people on this planet that would consider themselves rich and blessed beyond measure to have our old house and cars and the food we have.

Praise God for what we have and His provision over the years and His perfectly true promise to always provide for our needs!

• Members

You are absolutely right John and I remind my self of those very things often. But for me knowing it that I am blessed and I am very blessed with home, money etc I still hate the place I live and am always wanting to move away from this area. However I am not so brazen to say God I'm moving whether you want it or not. I wouldn't do that, but I think my whinging and whining about this place is probably as bad or worse than just doing my own thing. I've been praying for years that the Lord would bring about circumstances that would allow us to move on mainly that my Husband would want to move on which he does not but alas I am still here. So I guess it is live with it until such time as the Lord forces the move. I don't think resigning myself to the situation is being contended either for now contentment is in the too hard basket and I'll continue to be greatful for all that I have and hope contentment follows.

In the Lord

Blossom

• Members

This was a special blessing this past week where we had several days of heavy rain and clouds. Our old car wouldn't even start until we finally had a sunny day! Were it not for the "new" care the Lord provided we wouldn't have been able to make my wife's doctor appointments.

Praise God!!!