• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Have others heard the literal and historical explanations of the "eye of a needle?"

Matthew 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Literal...eye of a sewing needle.
Historical...a narrow gate where the camels had to unload for inspection before entering into a city.

Where did the historical explanation come from (besides history) that is the source document or commentary?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe it is a sewing needle. The way Jesus phrases it in all three instances doesn't suggest a place, and even answers the apostles question "who then can be saved?" with this "the things that are impossible with man is possible with God. As for the historical explanation that states the camel can go through it, only after being unloaded and inspected ...well that would hardly be defined as impossible right?

Matthew 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Mark 10:23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Luke 18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?
27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

I honestly don't think there is historical evidence of such a gate.

• Members

I believe it is a sewing needle. The way Jesus phrases it in all three instances doesn't suggest a place, and even answers the apostles question "who then can be saved?" with this "the things that are impossible with man is possible with God. As for the historical explanation that states the camel can go through it, only after being unloaded and inspected ...well that would hardly be defined as impossible right?

Matthew 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Mark 10:23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Luke 18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?
27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

I honestly don't think there is historical evidence of such a gate.

You may be right, but I think the apostles answer in v26, shows their amazement that it is difficult for a rich man to be saved. There was uproar over here a few years ago when some christians said they did not believe Princess Diana was saved.

• Members

You may be right, but I think the apostles answer in v26, shows their amazement that it is difficult for a rich man to be saved. There was uproar over here a few years ago when some christians said they did not believe Princess Diana was saved.

There has been uproar in this country over those who have pointed to Elvis, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and pointed out there is absolutely no evidence any of them were saved.

For many, they just assume certain people get to go to heaven.

I can't find any reference to the historical actually being historical. I'm going to take it by faith and believe it is exactly what Jesus said it was...literally; a sewing needle and a living breathing camel. I couldn't find this supposedly historical reference claiming the "gate" hypothesis. I did find this in contrast to the supposedly historical explanation...

Eye of the needle in the Bible. People have tried to water down Jesus' statement about it being harder for a rich man to enter Heaven than it is for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. Some wrongly interpret the eye of the needle to be a small gate entering the city. Others wrongly interpretcamel as meaning rope. But Jesus used a wonderfully clever illustration and meant what He said. The eye of a needle means the eye of a needle.

• Members

Let's not forget Steve Jobs either! The comments section on numerous articles were filled with "christians" praying for him and his family and telling everyone that he was now in a better place and in heaven because of his works. Even most of our politico conservatives have yet to trust in Christ and will someday meet the same fate as these folks.

• Members

I can't find any reference to the historical actually being historical. I'm going to take it by faith and believe it is exactly what Jesus said it was...literally; a sewing needle and a living breathing camel. I couldn't find this supposedly historical reference claiming the "gate" hypothesis. I did find this in contrast to the supposedly historical explanation...

Whatever the case may be, it's clear that Jesus meant it's exceedingly difficult for those who trust in their riches to forsake that and trust Christ.

The rich tend to think of what they would lose (their riches) if they chose to truly follow Christ, not considering the far greater riches they would be receiving (salvation and riches in heaven).

• Members

Let's not forget Steve Jobs either! The comments section on numerous articles were filled with "christians" praying for him and his family and telling everyone that he was now in a better place and in heaven because of his works. Even most of our politico conservatives have yet to trust in Christ and will someday meet the same fate as these folks.

Very true. For many, if they like someone, even if they don't know them, that means (to them anyway) that person is going to heaven.

It seems many folks want the comfort of believing others are in heaven and they will go there, but they don't want to consider the truth of Scripture or be born again in Christ.

I recall one pastor proclaiming that from what he knows, he has no reason to believe Steve Jobs was saved. All others I have heard either implied he is in heaven or that they have no way to know (denying what Scripture says about evidences of salvation).

Everyone wants an easy pass to heaven, their idea of heaven, not the actual heaven.