• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Joel Osteen

Joel Osteen  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is Joel Osteen a preacher or a motivational speaker? lol

• Preacher
    • Motivational Speaker

• Members

I see you edited and removed my name from the quote in your earlier post.  I was just making sure you knew it wasn't me but Danillo who made those remarks.  before you edited it it looked as though you were speaking to me.

I am not sure how it happened.  I had gone to the last post on the previous page and hit the quote button.  My blind eyes did not see that somehow I had quoted you. 

Forgive me.

• Members

I watched Osteen last Sunday because I was home recovering from a surgery . I thought he was quite good. He said we shouldn't allow others to bring us down and gave scripture to back it up. Very edifying.

Candy cane preaching about self, making people feel good, not preaching the gospel.  Which MV did he quote from?

If just 1/2th of the people who filled his stadium were biblically saved Houston would be run by conservative statesmen and not liberal politicians.

Edited by swathdiver

• Members

Even if all of Osteens church were filled with born again Christians that wouldn't mean they would be involved in or even effecting political change.

That said, I've listened to Osteen preach a few times and I've read his first three or four books. He does present the Gospel in the most basic form but beyond that he mostly preaches a motivational, self-help message which amounts to a very watered down version of growing in Christ. I noticed in his books that with each new book his message became more and more watered down.

Yes, Osteen uses Scripture, but not to the fullest extent and not always in right context. He leaves out much of what Scripture teaches, for the sake of political correctness and popularity, which hinders growth in Christ and limits the message of Scripture.

The way he preaches today, one could easily make a "decision" for Christ that isn't being born again but would give them a false hope and belief they are good with God. Then the watered down preaching on Christian living would help them to think they are good Christians when in fact they are still lost. That's one of the greatest dangers of his preaching.