• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Video: What's the Big Deal about the King James Version of the Bible? By Sam Gipp

One cannot lead another to Christ with a perverted Gospel that points to another christ. It is an impossibility.

That would be like me telling you to look at the hippopotamus at the zoo and all the while pointing to a polar bear.

By the way, with my knowledge of the errors, I would not be using a perverted gospel to point one to Christ. And neither should any christian.

I think you left the Holy Spirit out of the equation. Also, if I was speaking to someone who only had a version and not the KJV I wouldn't hold off giving them the Gospel because I didn't have a KJV in hand.

Haven't left the Holy Spirit out at all. The Holy Spirit is always working.

But the Holy Spirit is not working in a false gospel.

So which is it, "always working" or "never working"? I think the only time the Holy Spirit isn't working is when he is limited by men.

• Members

I posted a couple of questions in this post:

Nobody has addressed them as yet.

Rick,

Nobody is "adding" a thing to salvation. We are saved by grace through faith alone in Christ alone. But the question is this:

Do ANY of the bibles which are translated from the "Alexandrian" text (which is basically all the modern versions) point a person to Christ "according to the scriptures" (1 Cor. 15:1-4). Define "according to the scriptures". Then in Romans 10:17:

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

That verse doesn't say "almost" the word of God...it says the word of God.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Luke 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luke 11:11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

Luke 11:12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

When you hand a thirsty (for salvation) person a cup of water, do you knowingly hand that person a cup of water laced with 1 drop of arsenic? Or do you hand that person a cup of "living" water?

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

• Members

We are saved by faith by believing the gospel, according to I Cor. 15. The gospel is the message of the good news of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. It is THAT MESSAGE that saves, if one is willing to believe it by faith.

That message can be communicated many ways, and one of the ways in which God has used to communicate that message is through corrupt Bible versions. God used Samson and many other people when they were imperfect and out of the will of God, because God can and does use whatever He wants.

I have personally met many Christians that have been saved and led others to the Lord through modern corrupt versions. Many of them are strong, praying, witnessing soldiers of the faith that are decieved in a couple areas.

The new bibles are corrupt, but they portray enough truth of who Jesus is and what the gospel is to easily lead someone to the Lord.

To say someone must be saved out of a King James Bible is ridiculous and not supported by anything at all.

Edited by Rick Schworer

In so many words or less Rick said what I've been attempting to communicate. The truth comes by the will of God through preaching Christ and requires the Holy Spirit. It does not require a verbatim reading from the KJV. I would not hand anyone a perversion, I do give Bibles but only the KJV. I am capable of showing God's truth through any of the versions.

You won't like it but here is my personal statement on the Bible...I know I resort to this every time discussions about God's word come up but, it's a good refresher for me...

The Word of God

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church, Douay, authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

...the 1769 KJV fits me and I believe God is honored that I have it settled.

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, lends to discard or minimalize a great percentage when someone is speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have; so, casual, discard, or minimalism are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning; also, in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

• Members

If the "message" points to a false christ, then that message, as the translations from the Alexandrian texts, can in no way save a lost person.

The 1 Corinthians passage in the corrupt translations point to a sinful christ that couldn't save if he wanted to.

The Alexandrian texts teach that the christ that died, was buried, and rose again was sinful. That negates him from any merit in the salvation of sinful man.

• Members

If the "message" points to a false christ, then that message, as the translations from the Alexandrian texts, can in no way save a lost person.

The 1 Corinthians passage in the corrupt translations point to a sinful christ that couldn't save if he wanted to.

The Alexandrian texts teach that the christ that died, was buried, and rose again was sinful. That negates him from any merit in the salvation of sinful man.

Listen brother, I spent two years in a foreign country where all they had was a corrupt version of the Bible to preach from - and people got saved out of it. You're dead wrong on this, and you have nothing to back you up.

You might as well say that a person has to be saved out of something other than a KJB because the Mormons reject all Bibles other than the King James and they do preach another Jesus. That is about how solid your position is.

• Members

Listen brother, I spent two years in a foreign country where all they had was a corrupt version of the Bible to preach from - and people got saved out of it. You're dead wrong on this, and you have nothing to back you up.

You might as well say that a person has to be saved out of something other than a KJB because the Mormons reject all Bibles other than the King James and they do preach another Jesus. That is about how solid your position is.

Don't the Mormons use the "Joseph Smith Inspired Translation" of the KJV? Didn't Joseph Smith himself believe that the King James Bible was "incomplete" and that is why he "added" to it? For the Mormons, the King James Bible (the one we call the Word of God) is not their sole authority...they "add" their own "corrupt" books to God's Holy Word. Therefore, using the Mormons' rejection of all Bibles other than the KJV is not valid. They only accept the "Joseph Smith Inspired Translation" of the KJV as their Bible...plus all their other "corrupt" books. Edited by LindaR

• Members

Just how far are you willing to take this? Do you have any idea the landmine you are standing on?

There are countries all over the world that the only Bible they have is a corrupt version - to be consistant you'd have to say that the entire population of those countries are going to Hell.

For comparison only I pasted the other English versions. Are you telling me I could not point a person to Christ and the Holy Spirit could not use the other EVs for a man's salvation? Take a close look at these and then say...if a person hears, understands, receives and believes these truths they are lost because it wasn't in the KJV.

KJV
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

NKJV
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

NASB
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed [fn]from faith to faith; as it is written, " BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood—
Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
Rom 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

NLT
Rom 1:17 This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous person has life."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ. He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world. All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.
Rom 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

NIV
Rom 1:17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,

Rom 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

ESV
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

RSV
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, "He who through faith is righteous shall live."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the first-born of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.

• Members

But if the "Gospel" they are presenting is the Gospel of the Alexandrian text translations, then they are presenting "another Gospel" and not the Gospel of the true Christ. One cannot be saved using those Gospels that are found in the Alexandrian text translations.

Now, it is possible that they can make one desire to know who Jesus is, but until they believe the true Gospel, they cannot be saved no matter how much one tries to say they can.

There is only one Gospel and if someone is using that one Gospel then they can and do win lost souls to Christ. I know many who have come to Christ through the Gospel presented using a non-KJB. History is filled with examples of multiple thousands who have come to Christ around the world without the KJB.

A born again Christians sharing the Gospel is sharing the same Christ who saved them whether they use the Gospel presented in a KJB, MV or some other format.

• Members

For comparison only I pasted the other English versions. Are you telling me I could not point a person to Christ and the Holy Spirit could not use the other EVs for a man's salvation? Take a close look at these and then say...if a person hears, understands, receives and believes these truths they are lost because it wasn't in the KJV.

KJV
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

NKJV
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

NASB
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed [fn]from faith to faith; as it is written, " BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood—
Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
Rom 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

NLT
Rom 1:17 This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous person has life."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ. He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world. All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.
Rom 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

NIV
Rom 1:17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,

Rom 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

ESV
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

RSV
Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, "He who through faith is righteous shall live."
Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the first-born of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.

Thank you for posting this as this was the direction I was heading as well. The fact is, if a person is born again in Christ, the Jesus they are presenting when they share the Gospel with another is the same Jesus who saved them, regardless of the Bible they may be quoting from.

Just because someone is using, or is forced to use, a Bible other than the KJB when they share the Gospel, doesn't mean they believe in a false Jesus or are presenting a false Jesus. The fact they are born again in Christ is evidence they know who Jesus is and are sharing the One and Only Saviour Jesus.