• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Video: What's the Big Deal about the King James Version of the Bible? By Sam Gipp

• Members

But what if I had a Bible that said Jesus Christ's earthly parent's were named Abraham and Sarah? Why, that changes the whole Gospel. Jesus Christ's parents were not Abraham and Sarah. The Bible records that Jesus' earthly mother was named Mary, and His foster father was named Joseph. By saying Jesus' parents were named Abraham and Sarah, I have presented to you another Jesus and not the Jesus of the Bible... even though I said Jesus was born of a virgin, lived 33 years on this Earth, was crucified, buried in a borrowed tomb and rose again the third day. See what happens if just one detail of God's Word is changed into a lie? It destroys the Truth. Truth and lie cannot walk hand in hand, for a lie always defiles truth when accepted as truth. That is why it is important that we know that the gospel we are accepting as truth is the same Gospel that God gave to us....

It is the same with one verse of the Bible making Jesus to be a liar... it perverts the Gospel and turns it into a lie. Truth mixed with error becomes error. One drop of cyanide in a glass of water poisons the entire amount of water, not just a few molecules.

These modern versions present a different Christ once they change one aspect of who He is, and because they do so they are pointing the reader to a false christ and that person cannot be saved believing in the christ that is found in that version.

• Members

But what if I had a Bible that said Jesus Christ's earthly parent's were named Abraham and Sarah? Why, that changes the whole Gospel. Jesus Christ's parents were not Abraham and Sarah. The Bible records that Jesus' earthly mother was named Mary, and His foster father was named Joseph. By saying Jesus' parents were named Abraham and Sarah, I have presented to you another Jesus and not the Jesus of the Bible... even though I said Jesus was born of a virgin, lived 33 years on this Earth, was crucified, buried in a borrowed tomb and rose again the third day. See what happens if just one detail of God's Word is changed into a lie? It destroys the Truth. Truth and lie cannot walk hand in hand, for a lie always defiles truth when accepted as truth. That is why it is important that we know that the gospel we are accepting as truth is the same Gospel that God gave to us....

It is the same with one verse of the Bible making Jesus to be a liar... it perverts the Gospel and turns it into a lie. Truth mixed with error becomes error. One drop of cyanide in a glass of water poisons the entire amount of water, not just a few molecules.

These modern versions present a different Christ once they change one aspect of who He is, and because they do so they are pointing the reader to a false christ and that person cannot be saved believing in the christ that is found in that version.

I think I don't stand alone when I say that I and many here see where it is you are coming from, also, what it is that you are trying to say. As much as it grates me to say this, but it is the truth - YOU ARE RIGHT -many (if not all) modern versions take away or add to the truth. We see many turning away from the virgin birth today, turning from grace to works, etc BUT the fact remains that God, Jesus Christ, His Spirit and His Word is greater, will always be greater and has always been greater than man and his attempts to pervert the truth, by this I mean that God's salvation is so simple, so unique, so obvious and so UNIVERSAL that all who call on the name of Jesus can and will be saved, regardless of doctrine or creed or personal understanding of God, His Word or the finished work of Christ. Many in the early church were saved without hearing the complete doctrine, only knowing what He had done - the NT doctrine only came later in the writings of the apostles, mainly Paul. All we do is sow dissent and confusion we we ridicule or demean an individuals salvation and make the saving grace of Christ to no effect. It does not edify the church nor the believer to state that what they have believed to be saving grace is a lie because they had the wrong bible or wrong church or wrong teaching. If a person is truly seeking the truth in Christ we have assurance in His Word that it will be revealed - remember that Jesus Christ is greater than what any person says or writes - what we believe can in no way effect, change or take away from what He has done because HE did it, not us.

• Members

By the way, the price for our sin is not hell.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins. He paid the price for our sins. If one dies and goes to hell, he or she goes to hell with his or her sins already paid for.

The price for our sin is not hell, it is death.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Sorry, I meant to say death and hell.

• Members

If no one could be born again in Christ without the KJB, or without the texts the KJB stemmed from, then that would mean only a very tiny few would have had the opportunity to come to Christ before the KJB became widespread in use. Even then, those who don't speak English would have been without hope unless someone came to them with a KJB.

What about all those who were born again in Christ before the New Testament was even written?

What about the editions of the KJB which contained printing errors?

There is one Gospel message and it can be shared with or without the written Word.

• Members

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by what?

The Word of God.

One cannot be saved apart from the Word of God no matter how much one thinks one can be. The Bible does not lie.

Any Bible that presents the saving Christ as being a sinner is presenting a false Christ and should be rejected. It is not of God and God does not support a lie. Nor does He save souls through lies.

• Members

There were people saved before the epistles of the Apostles were written, but how were they saved?

By the Word of God that was preached. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. One cannot be saved apart from the Word of God.

And if one changes the Word of God to say something it did not originally say, they are preaching "another Gospel" than that which the Apostles preached. (see Galatians 1:6-9)

Any Bible that presents Christ as having lied, or committed any other sin, is preaching another Christ and cannot be used to lead one to the true Christ. It alwasy points in the wrong direction.

• Members

There were people saved before the epistles of the Apostles were written, but how were they saved?

By the Word of God that was preached. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. One cannot be saved apart from the Word of God.

And if one changes the Word of God to say something it did not originally say, they are preaching "another Gospel" than that which the Apostles preached. (see Galatians 1:6-9)

Any Bible that presents Christ as having lied, or committed any other sin, is preaching another Christ and cannot be used to lead one to the true Christ. It alwasy points in the wrong direction.

I think what you need to do is show examples of where a particular bible has in any way stated that Jesus was a sinner, a liar, committed sin, etc. I want to know which bible with quotes etc. I agree that one can not place ones hope in a sinning, lying Christ - He was the perfect sacrifice because He had no sin.

You can not expect us to hold or agree to your above statements without giving us the required evidence to back it up.

• Members

You want examples? Here's one...

In the CEV (Contemporary English Version) John 7:8-10, we read:

Go on to the festival. My time hasn’t yet come, and I am not going.”
Jesus said this and stayed on in Galilee.
Jesus at the Festival of Shelters
After Jesus’ brothers had gone to the festival, he went secretly, without telling anyone.

Notice that Jesus emphatically told His brothers, "I am not going"? But in verse 10, He went anyway. He clearly lied to His brothers.

This lie can be found in many of the modern versions, not just the CEV. They corrupt translations remove the word "yet" from Jesus' statement to His brothers, and in doing so make Him to be a liar.

Here's another from the CEV.... Matthew 5:22:

But I promise you that if you are angry with someone, you will have to stand trial.

This Jesus tells the reader that if he or she is angry with someone, he or she will have to stand trial. This same Jesus got angry with people. So He Himself is just as you or me, a sinner awaiting judgment before God.

Again, the CEV is not the only modern version that removes "without a cause" from this verse.

I encourage you to read the book "Look What's Missing" by David Daniels. In it, he examines texts from several different translations.

• Members

I am well aware that many translations are in error, have words or entire texts missing and misrepresent Jesus and many other doctrines. But let me throw something your way.

I am an unsaved person angry with God. I slander God to my friends by saying:

You know this Jesus everyone is going on about. Can you believe the rubbish they say, that this guy died for you. That if you believe this, this rubbish that you are bad and going to burn and need this guy to save you. Man, this guy was just like everyone else, turned grape juice into wine, beat all those poor blokes in the temple, a drunkard and a bully, what a lot of rubbish - this guy died to save us - what a lie!

Yet the friend decides for some reason in his heart that this is the truth and believes on this "drunkard and bullying" Jesus his friend just told him about - does his friend's statement about Jesus being a drunkard and a bully make the power and grace of God any less powerful or true? Can any mans lie make God a liar?

Again, how can any unsaved person ever know these two verse you just quoted? That comes through diligent study and time spent in fellowship with mature believers. They believe on the saving Grace of Christ who died and rose again and have never even heard of John 7:8-10 (CEV). I have been saved for 29 yrs and an IFB for over ten and have never heard of this. Salvation Grace is milk for babes, what you are talking about is meat for those mature in faith and sound doctrine and I firmly believe that it does not take away a persons salvation what version of the Word the gospel was preached unless someone was preaching the following:

You must believe on the lying Jesus (John 7:8-10 (CEV)) who was sinner (Mat 5:22 (CEV)) who died on the cross a sinner and a liar so that you may saved. An imperfect sacrifice that was raised from the dead to reconcile man unto God.

I think I can say with confidence that even idiots like BH, KC, CD and others like them can't even get the salvation message wrong because God made it so simple.
Jesus = cross = death = sacrifice = resurrection = salvation = grace

Oh, quick edit - I also sadly believe that the idiots that wrote the CEV are more than likely not even aware of these two points you posted and I would stake my life that most of the babes that read it and preach from it don't even have the sense nor the doctrinal understanding to pick it up - it's not our place to call them unsaved - it's our responsibility to gently guide them to the truth - the KJB - and boy can that be hard!

Edited by 2Tim215

• Members

If a man is believing a lie, then that man is mislead.

The man saying that Jesus was a drunkard and a bully is a liar, and the man that believed that lie is deceived into believing in a false Christ, one that is a drunkard and a liar.

Sorry, your analogy doesn't work, Tim. It is still a false Christ being presented and a false Christ being followed.

Doesn't matter if I don't tell the potential convert that the CEV places Jesus as a liar, if I am telling him or her that Jesus died, was buried and rose again and that the CEV I hold in my hand tells you this and much more about this Jesus, then I am presenting the lying Jesus of the CEV's John 7:8 without even mentioning John 7:8.

In other words, the Jesus of the CEV's 1 Corinthians 15:1- 5 is the same Jesus as its John 7:8-10, Matthew 5:22, etc..

And that Jesus is a lying sinner. Sadly, that same Jesus of the CEV can be found in the majority of the modern versions translated from the corrupt Alexandrian texts.

Hmmm...I liked it.

However, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a little more encompassing than death, burial, and resurrection.

I like to use an old Navy acronym... CBDR (constant bearing decreasing range) that is Christ's Birth, Death, and Resurrection. I believe when the Gospel is given it must include Christ's birth to be the whole Gospel.
The birth was miraculous - a virgin birth.
He led a sinless life - all of his life.
He gave himself freely to the cross - his death.
He was buried - three days.
He arose from the dead - conquered death and sin's grip on man.
He ascended into heaven - very God returned to heaven.

I believe you can tell part of the Gospel but the whole gospel means none can be left out. Part of the gospel can point a man to Christ and the Holy Spirit can use it to lead a man to salvation. If a version leaves out any part or changes any part of the Gospel of Christ it is a version that only contains the word of God. I believe the KJV preserves the word of God and tells the whole gospel. I use the KJV however, I can use any of the versions to point a man to Christ. After that the Holy Spirit provides the increase.

I think we have to be careful when we say we cannot point someone to Christ using a version. Philip didn't use a version with the Ethiopian, nor did Paul with Dionysius. They used the whole gospel, the OT, and the Holy Spirit's persuasive power.

• Members

As I have said, the problem I have with the "any version" theory (and that is all it is) is the fact that the Christ that most of these versions point to is not qualified to die for mankind. These other versions present another Gospel, another Christ.

And Paul said if they bring another Christ, let them be accursed.

Sorry, I still contend that these other versions, such as the CEV, do not point a man to Christ.

• Members

A you have said, faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. One can present the Gospel (Word of God), which is found in most (if not all) Bible versions, and the Holy Ghost can and does use this to bring folks to salvation.

Now, what they do after salvation, what Bible they choose to study, can have a dramatic impact upon their walk, but if they diligently seek the Lord in this matter He will guide them to growth through the KJB.

Too many men have been saved before the KJB was available and in lands without the KJB for folks to not be able to come to Christ without the KJB.

Wasn't that Constant Bearing Diminishing Range??? hehehe

Nope its "decreasing." Hey I have a devotional that can be shared among swabbies about this...wanna look it over? In another thread or I'll just send it via email.